Subject: Naval Interception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
Just want a clarification on the rules regarding naval movement

I have a leader and army in Xanthus and want to move to attack Rhodes, controlled by someone else i.e. not independant, via naval movement

1) Can the force in Xanthus be interecepted by the player in Rhodes.

Two part of the rules seem at odds to me

13.4 first paragraph
Naval combat occurs when one or more players use their fleets to
impede another player’s naval movement. Naval combat is possible
at any point along the moving player’s sea route

13.4 third paragraph (DETERMINE PATH)
A player may only intercept if he has a control marker within two spaces (via Sea paths) of at least one ofthe spaces your naval movement enters (you may not intercept in the port of embarkation or across a Trans-Mediterranean path).

The issue I have is that Xanthius is my port of embarkation, so naval interception hence naval combat cannot happen here but the first statement seems to contradict these

The question is can I be intercepted by the player in Rhodes between Xanthus and Rhodes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could be intercepted in Rhodes by the player controlling Rhodes or by any other player who has a control marker within 2 spaces.

The port of embarkation thing makes sense to me. In all games I've played with Interception rules, you intercept where the units are moving to and not where they're moving from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can be intercepted - if you lose the naval battle you will return to Xanthus, but the actual interception takes place in Rhodes - or as I like to picture it, along the sea path connecting the two spaces.

Rhodes coming with its own 2-point fleet, which makes it very difficult for another player to steal, is part of what makes it such a valuable prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
agentzen wrote:
Yes, you can be intercepted - if you lose the naval battle you will return to Xanthus, but the actual interception takes place in Rhodes - or as I like to picture it, along the sea path connecting the two spaces.

Rhodes coming with its own 2-point fleet, which makes it very difficult for another player to steal, is part of what makes it such a valuable prize.

Thanks for the answers, thats the way we played it but I was a bit confused.

It was quite an iteresting situation as Ptolemy need 2 VP to win automatically and was poised to capture Cyprus so an attack on Rhodes was worth a gamble. I had the upgraded Macedonian and Athenian fleet vs the upgraded Egyptian fleet, the Phoenician fleet and the Rhodian fleet so 4 vs 5. As usual I lost the dieroll (I needed 10 to draw and rolled a 4). Fortunately one of the other players managed to deny Ptolemy Coele Syria Salamis resisted 3 siege attempts with losing a siege point. At that oint we had to call time but it was good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.