8 Posts

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery» Forums » General

Subject: Question about the turn length of the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bohonko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, i have a question about the turn length of AOE, in a recent game with some friends the question came up, although everyone enjoyed the game several thought it ended a bit quickly. Another point was the allocation of victory points that mostly came at the end of the game. Personally i thought the vp allocation at the end would be to stop players being picked on early on for accrueing too many vp's and taking a lead other players felt needed stopping, as for the game length i like that it can be played in an evening but wonder why the third age is'nt 3 turns like age 1 and 2, i assume the designers had a good reason for this any answers would be appreciated, apart from that all players loved the game and cant wait for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players were you playing with?

I think with 2 or 3 players, the end might feel like it comes quickly. But with 5 players it definitely doesn't. With 5 players we're into the explore deck, instead of the new world, for the last couple turns, which is about right. Going longer would be too much.

With 2 players (and even 3), exploration will definitely be quite a bit slower.

As for 2 turns in the 3rd age, rather than three -- again it comes to the acceleration. You're getting more done in each turn by the 3rd age.

In the first age, I'll generally have 5 or 6 people to place -- probably a total of 15-17 actions. By the 3rd age, I'll likely have 7 or 8 to place -- 14-16 actions in two turns, rather than 15-17 actions in 3 turns. I'll also generally have more (far more) income total over those two turns than in all 3 turns of the first age.

And, some of the buildings would have to be rebalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bohonko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We were playing a four player game, and the players were first timers but we still seemed to fly through the game, i know what you mean about the balance of c-buildings and income but i dont see how adding the third turn to the 3rd age would adversly effect it. One of the players bought the factory c-building and was a bit dissapointed when he didnt reap much of a benefit from it a third turn would of made it more worth it for him, he did as i remember manage to buy two c-buildings off the back of it in the last turn but not to much benefit in the final vp count. I just find it strange the ages arn't 3 turns each and personally i think a third turn in the last age would of made for a more tense ending to the game, its only at this point that players really have a settled income coming in and its at this point that options really open up for players to pinch the win, i still love the game and its nice to have a game we can play in an evening i just think there must be a design reason behind it maybe in the balancing that i have missed. It cant be a time thing as one more turn would'nt add much to the game.

Thx for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't buy two buildings off the back of the Factory as it only generates $30 of income, and an Age 3 building costs $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bohonko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes i know but the $30 from the factory coupled with his trade income allowed him to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that I'm not able to help you with your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bohonko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
No problem, its not a big issue i just wonder why the ages are'nt more uniform by being 3 turns each, there must be a good reason why the third age was limited to 2 turns, maybe its just because it would'nt fit on the board . It would be interesting to try a game with a ninth turn to see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more of a design/balance issue rather than due to aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.