Subject: Father's Day is around the corner... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping that my family might allow me to acquire a new game.

I have a bunch that I am thinking about:
League of Six - seems to have lots of ways to win, but does it scale well?
Hermagor - people seem very divided about this one, bidding seems original.
Garibaldi: The Escape - I have nothing like it and Fury of Dracula is way too long for me. But my wife disliked Mr. Jack - does that mean this game is doomed?
Batavia - interesting mechanics, quick and looks great.
Giants - very expensive, so doubtful

Here is what I have been looking for:
1. 75 minutes or less playing time.
2. Multiple winning paths to victory. (Garibaldi is on the list because of number 5 below).
3. Fun
4. Not gateway....not too heavy. Game with a similar weight to Blue Moon City, Tribune, Yspahan, Thurn & Taxis.
5. Different from my other games.
6. Playable with 3 or 4 players.

Thoughts? Who knows, maybe I will get a tie instead. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first off, you shouldn't have to "be allowed" a game purchase/gift. Even if it wasn't Father's Day...but I guess I don't know your situation...
Sounds ridiculous to me, though.

Anyways, of your list, I own

Hermagor
Giants
Batavia

I have no interest in Garibaldi (unless it's the dude from Babylon 5?) hehe and I do have some interest in League of Six.

Of the 3 I own, Hermagor is the best all around choice, imo.
Batavia is nice, but a tad simple and the overall experience is somewhere in the good range.
I have not played Giants, but think it to be a tad more difficult...a little more of a gamer's game, maybe? Based on rule readings.
Hermagor is a good game; it really is. The auctioning is tense...a tad forgiving, but strict at the same time! The main board's city placement is tricky in a good way and there's a lot of competiton throughout.
Just my 2 cents; hope you get a game...any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are more likely to not get a tie if its something the kids can participate in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are really young....but it is nice to hope for future games with my girls (other than Chicken Cha Cha Cha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Garibaldi: The Escape - I have nothing like it and Fury of Dracula is way too long for me. But my wife disliked Mr. Jack - does that mean this game is doomed?

Interesting comparison, my wife loves Mr.JaCk and we both enjoy Garibaldi a lot. We also play Fury of Dracula but only when the theme fits the time of year i.e. Halloween. Garibaldi we throw on the table much more often and besides it's always good to learn about history. And it is a great deduction/hunt game. If your looking at a 2 player game however I would not chance it considering Mr.JaCk isn't a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know much about the games you've listed, but looking at your collection, I do have some other suggestions:

Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga - Awesome game, with many paths to victory. The rules are fairly easy to understand, it has great components, and is just plain fun. It may run a little longer than 75 minutes, but that all depends on your group.

Antike - A game that is definitely a contender for you. Easy to learn, quick turns, relatively short game, multiple ways to win.

Mission: Red Planet - A nice, quick game. I don't recall if there are multiple "paths" to victory, but there are definitely many choices to make each turn (role, action, etc). an overlooked game that you should definitely take a look at.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery - I haven't played this yet, but it seems to satisfy your requirements. I recall reading good reviews for this, and the rules seem fairly simple.

And I'll even throw a recently-OOP game in there too. Evo is lots of fun, especially if you like the dinosaur theme. It has lots of paths to victory, a fun gene bidding mechanic, variable end-game length, is fairly short, and has impressed both gamers & non-games in my group. Plus, the board is variable and adjusts to the number of players.

Something that also does this (and is by the same author) is the new game Small World. I don't know much about it, but it might be worth looking into also.

I'm looking to get a game or two for Father's Day also. Good luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor fits almost every category, with the possible exception ofthe 75-minute thing. I'm on the side of those who really love this game - it's one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems that people are happy with Hermagor. That sounds great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor is great, it really is. But it will play longer than 75 mins, at least the first times you play it. I would also say it is slightly heavier than the games you mention. Not a heavy game by any means, but both rules and gameplay are more complex than the light-medium games you mention. So the fit is good with your criteria, but not perfect.

Just want you to have the correct information before you buy. Sorry if you had decided on the game and I messed up your plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.