Subject: A game that can make me feel "rich" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Clark
New Zealand
PORIRUA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game where you are building up property (of any type - shares, houses, railroads, shops, companies, bricks - whatever) and you get money or resources to play with.

I love that feeling you get when you're playing a game and feel "rich", or when you feel poor, but you have a plan to get rich.

I want the feeling you get with Monopoly where you are playing with money and resources. Having said that, I am totally over Monopoly.

I should also say that I am looking for a game that won't scare non-gamer friends and family away. It can't be too long (under 2 hours) and it can't have too many rules and stipulations.

Based on advice received so far, I have narrowed my list down to the following:

Acquire
Metropolys
Chinatown
Manila
Chicago Express
Shark
Container
Wealth of Nations
Stone Age
Saint Petersburg

As you can see, my list is still pretty large. Any advice you can offer on these games would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Redneck Life would make almost everybody feel rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Playing Redneck Life would make almost everybody feel rich.

Or The Mad Magazine Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moneyworld Inve$tor
Mansions & Money
Making Money
Double your Money
Money, Power, Respect
Money! Money! Money!
Money Bags
It's Only Money The Game
Leave It To Beaver Money Maker Game
Easy Money
Money!
Steam
Who's the Richest?
Rags To Riches
Race to Riches
Rich Man, Poor Man, Beggarman, Thief
Strike it Rich
Strike It Rich
Richie Rich
"You'll Never Get Rich"
Rich Uncle
Filthy Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know that feeling you are talking about. I may be mistaken, but what makes me feel that way is not just having a lot of money, but having an amount that allows me to buy (or not, if I choose) a lot of things in the same game that gives you very little options when you are poor.

Many of the games in your list seem to be games where the money you have is really just meant to buy certain specific and predetermined things. I would much prefer a whole array of options that could affect my game by their purchase or even by a non-purcase, i.e. growing my wad of cash and scaring my opponent with its potential. To me, feeling rich is very much about saving money so that you have it to spend when the time (and price) is right. I would love a game that rewarded you for saving by presenting delicious opportunities to buy low for big game impact.

For some reason, the games that I thought of when you described feeling rich were games where there is lots of different stuff to buy every turn. So I thought of the old MB GameMaster series games like Axis and Allies or Conquest of the Empire. Those, however, clearly do not fit into your condition of "can't be too long (under 2 hours) and it can't have too many rules and stipulations".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the Boss!
Big Boss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is a truly classic game. The rules are not hard, every game is different, and an average game lasts a few hours. This game is at the top of your list, and you should just go out and buy it.

The longevity of this game is proof that it is a truly great game.

You also might want to look into some of the train games. I have played 1870 a few times, and though the rules are fairly complex, after a couple of plays you start getting the feel for how the stocks work, and you manage both your personal wealth and company wealth while building the rail empire of your dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Metropolys. This game will leave you feeling poor as the game progresses--your options shrink rather than expand the farther you get into the game, and there's no money to play with. It's a great game, but not what you're looking for.

I think you would very much enjoy Genoa (recently rereleased as "Genoa") although it doesn't fit several of your criteria. It'll take 2-3 hours to play, and it's not particularly light on the rules, and it will scare away non-gamers. So I wouldn't say "run out and buy it" but if you ever have the chance to play someone else's copy you should. The framework of the game is very "loose" and you'll win or lose based on your trading acumen and negotiation skills. If you win, you'll not only feel rich, but you'll feel that you got that way because you were clever, not because you had a lucky draw.

I own but have not yet played Chinatown. Judging from the rules it might be the game you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid really gets the money flowing after you get a few cities. That always makes me feel rich. Of course, it can also make you feel poor when you don't have the resources to bid on the power plant you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express is great. Get it.

A harder, longer game that I like better is Imperial, but I don't play it often because it takes about 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider:

Tycoon
Bazaar
Puerto Rico
For Sale
Catan
Goa
Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Vegas Showdown start with "You are a multi-millionaire." I always figure we could just stop there and call it a "win".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My list for that particular set of requirements is rather short:

Acquire
Acquire
Acquire
Acquire
Acquire

The one game in my collection I couldn't live without. Very good game, with a great feeling of triumph and enough luck to keep it interesting. Super simple rules and good for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that was mentioned in another recent thread -- Vegas Showdown -- would seem to fit the bill here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clark
New Zealand
PORIRUA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually just starting to feel rich at the end of a game when I play Catan. I love getting eight cards on a roll, and sometimes wish the end game had a second phase after everyone was sufficiently "developed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashflow 101 - it costs a lot, but if you find it in a thrift store or know someone who has it, give it a try.

Triopoly - I've never played it, but it's supposed to be an off-shoot of Monopoly.

Cuba - you get to buy votes, and buy items needed at market. Having cash can definitely affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Natdog wrote:
Having said that, I am totally over Monopoly.

LOL. Good thing you added that, or you'd have the BGG vigilantes after you.

Monopoly's not that bad, is it? (It's been a long time for me, and I don't know if I ever played it right.)

Oh, btw, I'll suggest an out-of-print game, FWIW: Merchant of Venus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a great feature on this site to help you narrow it down:
Poll
Which game(s) should Nathan buy?
Acquire
Metropolys
Chinatown
Manila
Chicago Express
Shark
Container
Wealth of Nations
Stone Age
Saint Petersburg
      6 answers
Poll created by banyan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clark
New Zealand
PORIRUA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew - this is brilliant!

Thanks for setting this up. I look forward to seeing the results.

Thank you everyone else for your comments and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.