Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a BSW newbie, so please pardon this question if it's dumb, but why can't I join the BoardGameGeek channel in BSW?

I type in: /channel BoardGameGeek but then I get the message that I don't have the right to enter this channel. I was able to get into it fine yesterday, but right now I just can't.

I have also found that sometimes when I put in a command I'm unable to get it work - the client refuses to carry it out. Is there a certain ranking system that is in effect here and not all commands are available to newer players? If so, how does one go about attaining rights to them?

Additionally, even though I have set my client to be in English, I still get messages in German as to my activities. For instance, I have this show up: Mateui loest sich auf in unzaehlige kleine Partikel. I have no idea what it means, so is there any way to have those types of messages appear in English?

One last question - what's the proper procedure for leaving a game unfinished? I came across a situation where I was playing another player in a 2-player game, and that other person just left the game, leaving me alone in that room. I tried resetting the game but BSW wouldn't let me saying that the game is still in progress. So, I simply gave up and typed in /manager to bring myself to the manager. Whats the correct way of going about this?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions but I appreciate any help I can't get! I've tried reading various guides but unfortunately it seems like none of them concern the newer interface, which makes understanding everything just a tad more confusing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:

One last question - what's the proper procedure for leaving a game unfinished? I came across a situation where I was playing another player in a 2-player game, and that other person just left the game, leaving me alone in that room. I tried resetting the game but BSW wouldn't let me saying that the game is still in progress. So, I simply gave up and typed in /manager to bring myself to the manager. Whats the correct way of going about this?

If you are of a high enough level, use /masterreset
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what did it, but as soon as I started playing a game I found myself logged in the BGG channel... It just appeared in my list. Weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
I have also found that sometimes when I put in a command I'm unable to get it work - the client refuses to carry it out. Is there a certain ranking system that is in effect here and not all commands are available to newer players? If so, how does one go about attaining rights to them?


There is indeed a ranking system for this. Rank dependent commands are listed at http://brettspielwelt.de/Hilfe/Kommandos/Rangabhaengig/. Some of your other questions can be answered at http://brettspielwelt.de/Hilfe/FAQ/. You go up in rank by playing more games -- it's as simple as that.

Mateui wrote:
Additionally, even though I have set my client to be in English, I still get messages in German as to my activities. For instance, I have this show up: Mateui loest sich auf in unzaehlige kleine Partikel. I have no idea what it means, so is there any way to have those types of messages appear in English?


That one is part of your personal information. (It means, "Mateui dissolves into uncountable small particles" -- ie. when you leave a room.) Log into the BSW website and you can change it yourself, to anything you like. Of course, you will still get German messages when German's enter or exit the room, because they set those messages themselves, too.

Mateui wrote:
One last question - what's the proper procedure for leaving a game unfinished? I came across a situation where I was playing another player in a 2-player game, and that other person just left the game, leaving me alone in that room. I tried resetting the game but BSW wouldn't let me saying that the game is still in progress. So, I simply gave up and typed in /manager to bring myself to the manager. Whats the correct way of going about this?


Other than using /masterreset (if you are high enough rank), leaving is the only thing you can do in that case. Don't worry about it. BSW does not count dropped games.

And have fun on BSW!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.