Subject: Wordquest was what I expected... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rabbi sb
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We recently got Wordquest and played it right away. I played with my two sons, 10 (non-gamer) and 8 (we call him the 'puzzle-maker')
The game is real simple to play.

For set up you basically put one of the round game sheets under the plastic wheel board which has a concave indentation over each letter. Then you place the frame/ring over that, which covers the words you need to search for until you reveal them one word at a time clockwise. There are these plastic pieces in four colors that remind me of the hard contact lenses I use to wear. They are placed in the indentations over the letters. They give you this squeaker to squeeze to announce that you indeed have found the word first. Unfortunately my 6 and 4 year old kept squeaking during the game as they found the sound to be amusing..lol.

Gameplay is the same as any search-word you have done, only you compete against up to three other players to see who finds the words first. You move the outer ring revealing the words and just like a lazy-susan, the board itself also moves around. This means that eventually the letters will eventually be right-side up for each player (and his colored markers might be in front of someone else). When a player finds the word they squeak the squeaker. This can cause minor problems when access to the squeaker is delayed for one person over another. (as well as wee ones who constantly steel the squeaker..lol) As I have always been great at word-searches, I was really fast at finding words. My sons called me a 'gamer-freak' and then I backed off a bit to give them a chance to play. Each game page has a different subject..like animals, the beach, countries etc. so my 8 year old had difficultly with spelling. What he lacked in spelling he made up for in his visual skills. My 10 year old can spell well... however, I found that he had difficulty finding words when the board was upside down for him. I found that by adjusting the board with each move reduced his frustration. The winner is the one with the most markers in their color placed when all the words have been used. Here is the surprise ending, if you find a word which uses a letter that another player has found, you then remove their pieces for their entire word. You can lose one or more words in a single play by an opponent. So you can lose your early lead very quickly and lose the game.

The game has been made of very good quality components, and it seems it will last the duration... even with my kids. I like the color pieces too. I hope that the manufacturer eventually offers more game boards. Eventually you will know where words are on the two-sided sheets.

I like the game...I believe it is a actually educational...another reason I purchased it. Not just for spelling, but it improves a persons' ability to scan quickly (which my 10 year old really needs). I recommend the game. My 10 year old non-gamer played three rounds. Very surprising. I plan to play solo with a clock...look out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially since you wrote this a year ago you'll be able to answer this well.

I just saw the game at Border's today and it looked interesting, but I'm a little concerned about it having only 20 game boards. Seems like after 20 plays and it would lose some of its charm, since now you'd know where most of the words are.

Has it held up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another version of this game, under the title WordSearch, but the components look identical. This review was pretty on the mark.

It's really just a large seek-and-find game, in which you rotate through a word list.

I played two games of it with my two daughters (ages 9 and 10) last night; we have broken it out from time to time for several years.

There isn't any strategy other than figuring out the best way to scan letter columns for words.

However, the word blocks are packed pretty densely with the target words, game play is pretty quick (unless all the players are really terrible at spotting words in a seek-and-find), and the components are attractive and durable (the little concave colored plastic discs that came with my version, used for marking the words you find, have a great tactile appeal, nothing is flimsy, and it all fits together smoothly).

Regarding durability: We have not played this tons, but over the 3-4 years we've had it there have probably been 25 game plays, and nothing is torn or broken or bent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.