Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried just leaving the Curse out? Often, the player in the lead just closes the book after spotting just one symbol, since she can't benefit from a complete formula. Makes it hard for anyone to catch up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think the curse is the problem. The problem is with the book closing. I noticed what you're mentioning at the end of the game when someone wants to inch across the finish line first. My fix has been that the same person can't be the book closer twice in a row. That seems to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
We just tried a fix for this where the book closer must make a full spell or he gets nothing. He still gets a negative if his spell is wrong, but if it's not a complete spell there are no partial points for him. Additionally, if the book closer fails in any way to make a complete and accurate spell he cannot close the book on the next turn. This completely eliminated the problem of people closing the book too quickly (for any reason, though specifically the cursed leader) and made the game play much better, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogberry wrote:
We just tried a fix for this where the book closer must make a full spell or he gets nothing. He still gets a negative if his spell is wrong, but if it's not a complete spell there are no partial points for him. Additionally, if the book closer fails in any way to make a complete and accurate spell he cannot close the book on the next turn. This completely eliminated the problem of people closing the book too quickly (for any reason, though specifically the cursed leader) and made the game play much better, in my opinion.

That variants seems to make it easier for everyone to make a complete spell.

I think the variant should be the Leader is only allowed to shut the book if they have a complete spell otherwise they don't move at all if they don't reveal a complete formula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe that should be the curse.
Curse= to shut the book you need a complete formula. If you reveal a non complete formula you do not move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
That variants seems to make it easier for everyone to make a complete spell.

Not really. It does allow people to play the game, which was the point. It only allows what you describe if everyone gets to a full spell at exactly the same time or if people are just too cautious. But in playing with this variant, we only saw the intended effect of stopping the "I've got one thing and now I'm closing the lid" player. Your mileage may vary, but we had fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.