Subject: Looking for PDF versions of heralds from FFG support page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know if there is a PDF version of the two heralds posted on the FFG support page for AH? The two I'm referring to are The Son of Yog-Sothoth for Dunwich and Avatar of Nyarlathotep for the Dark Pharaoh. The posted ones are .jpegs but I would prefer to find PDF versions if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I just have the jpgs. I can try printing them to PDF if that would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorry. They were released as JPEGs, and were only ever JPEGs to my knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do they put anything out as a non-PDF? They've done pretty well with the league stuff being PDF, but the first Calvin was posted as a PNG, which was annoying to print at the right size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
Why do they put anything out as a non-PDF? They've done pretty well with the league stuff being PDF, but the first Calvin was posted as a PNG, which was annoying to print at the right size.

You're right about that! I had a lot of trouble scaling the first Calvin down and it's still slightly larger than the other allies. The second (PDF) one printed to the perfect size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF better than PNG or JFIF JPEG?
PDF better than PNG or JFIF JPEG?
When I now saw the title of this thread, I knew I had to reply. I was thinking, "What the... Why would anyone in his or her right mind prefer the awful PDF format over clean standard image files like JFIF jpeg or PNG?" The problem stated here - a difficulty with getting three specific image files from FFG to print at the correct resolution - is real though.

However, blame where blame is due. The problem isn't at all with the PNG or JFIF file formats. On the contrary. They both allow the correct print resolution to be specified for them, and any well-behaved software should then have no problem printing them correctly. The problem is that no print resolution was specified in these particular image files from FFG.

In PNG images, this information is found in a "pHYs chunk", but no such chunk is present in the Calvin PNG file. In a JFIF file (standard jpeg file) the header contains three parameters - one for units and two for "Xdensity" and "Ydensity" - but the units parameter was left blank (zero) in the herald jpegs (and the other two not usable for printing). This means that any software handling those files will have to guess. Typically, some screen resolution will be assumed, most commonly either the old 72 DPI, or the more recent 96 DPI.

For this reason, also, I doubt it would do you much good to embed these images in PDFs. (Unless you managed to specify the correct print size/resolution within the PDF, but then, you could do that as well in any software handling the images directly.)

puck71 wrote:
Why do they put anything out as a non-PDF?

Well, for one thing, standard image files allow greater flexibility in how you print them than the clunky PDF format does. As an example, you can load multiple such images in your OpenOffice (or whatever word processor you're using) and arrange all of them in any way you like for printing on a single page. (If you still for some reason want a PDF in the end, you can hit the PDF button in OpenOffice.) For that matter, if you happen to be so inclined, it is very easy to edit JFIF jpg and (especially) PNG files compared to editing a PDF.

Now, most of the images published by FFG are probably meant for viewing rather printing, in which case print resolution is irrelevant. So when it came to these three files, actually meant to be printed, I think Fantasy Flight can probably be excused for forgetting to set the print resolution before saving and publishing them.

In brief, I'd like to give FFG big thumbs up thumbsup for any non-PDF JPEG image they publish, and even more thumbs up thumbsup thumbsup for the (artifactfree) PNGs they publish. Cheers!

(Of course, I do hope they'll remember to set the print resolution in the many, many future non-PDF PNGs and JPEGs that I am looking forward to see from FFG.)
cool

The FFG images fixed for printing
In any case it is fairly easy to fix this. The intended print resolution seems to be (surprise) 300 DPI for all three files, so we'll only need to set the file parameters accordingly. I did just that and here they are. (Since I didn't know whether they would be considered worthy of uploading on a public Boardgamegeek area I placed them externally, for now at least.) Just load them in any image handling software and print. They should come out right (if the software is well-behaved).

How to set a print resolution in PNG and JFIF
More generally (in case any further images without resolution spec appear) a PNG file can just be fixed in the free GIMP (or any other decent image editor). In GIMP, go to the image menu and select print size, change and save.

JPEG images are a bit trickier in that you don't want to re-save jpeg image data unless you absolutely have to - and an image editor will probably do that, even when you only changed some metadata such as the print resolution. (Since JPEG - unlike PNG deflate - is a lossy compression method, you will destroy some quality each time you load-and-save.)

Fortunately, there is an excellent free utility, ExifTool, that allows you to change only the metadata in image headers without messing with the image data. It can do a whole lot more than just change the print resolution of JFIF files, but that's the only thing we're interested in here. (Note: This is a Perl utility. Be sure to read the installation instructions, in particular if you're on a non-Linux/Unix system. Linux users can probably get this software through their standard distribution channels anyway.)

The fact that ExifTool is a command line utility will probably seem a little daunting to many, but the command to set the print resolution of a JFIF file to 300 DPI is pretty straightforward:

exiftool -JFIF:ResolutionUnit=inches -JFIF:XResolution=300 -JFIF:YResolution=300 filename

Substitute the real name of your file for "filename", e.g. ahheraldbig.jpg or darkpharaohbig.jpg. You can also do batch processing of multiple files by using a wildcard: "*.jpg".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to thumb a Swede, but had to do it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.