United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played KoS for the 1st time... and it was a 4 player game so we followed the rules and played "partners". However to me the way it played was not overly exciting. I would think every man/woman for themselves (no partnerships) would be more existing.

Has anyone actually played this way (cut-throat)? I did read the designer's notes at the end of the rules and see that originally 4 players were not with playing as partners and do kind of see the reason for it but wonder if the reason given (ties too likely anyway) is really that common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try it out and let us know how you liked it. I imagine for me it would be much less the likelihood of ties that would be the problem, and much more the chaos factor.

Of course, I will do the usual and say that once everyone understands the game, which takes a while, the team game as it is, is really tense. It's very hard to be on the same page as your partner since most of your plans will be very complex, while at the same time, if you can coordinate well, you are so much stronger than an individual. Since there's only two teams, there's much less chaos in terms of which faction is likely to win than the 3p game, but there's much more unknown with the communication breakdown between partners. It presents some interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, now that I think about it more, I would say the tiebreaker issue would probably be as much of a problem for me as the chaos. Since about 90% of the time you're playing with the tiebreaker in mind, I think it would be very hard to figure out just where you had a true advantage. Probably someone could match you almost any way you go. But anyway, I don't want to discourage you from trying it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2player-partnership-game is the most difficult to master. So I recommend playing a different number of players first. However, if you play with 4 and its your first game, you may ignore the "Dont discuss" - rule, if it helps you (although I know at least one game group were this advice backfired; they over-analysed the game and came to the conclusion, nobody could ever gain an edge and stoped playing!)

Of course youre welcome to play 4players cutthroat. It may work out, but there is a big chance of a game were nobody could archieve anything meaningful, which is frustrating. But that doesnt have to be the case (I played this variant several times and about a third worked out OK).

Have fun!
Peer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, I did find a session report (in the form of a review) of a 4-player cut-throat game at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/263513
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.