Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we've uncovered the secrets of Talisman in my other thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/407729) and I wanted to share the "states" of Talismanic lore.

Over the years of gaming, certain gaming functions appeared, in differetn ways, that affected the game in global ways. "Universal" ways that altered the entire landscape, or conditions established during the regular game. Things like "Enchant Worlds" from Magic the gathering, the Battlefield Conditions for HeroClix, Star events in Mythos and Edges in Shadowfist.

So, how to approach these things in Talisman? I didn't want too many of them, or they would clutter an already-busy game. But, I really liked some of the effects that were available. I wanted them to be impactful, and have the potential to really shake up the game. Maybe even by ending it!

So, States, like Secrets, became "zeroes"; unavoidable cards that took effect immediately and completely, affecting all boards and all players. Another effect I liked was that Enchant World cards in Magic immediately destroyed an existing one. So, too, do States; that saved some trouble for cleaning up too many of the things! Also, it freed me up to make them pretty impactful, too. (Although I added language on one or two that skip the elimination of existing states).

And lastly, I didn't want a "battlefield condition" to create a skipped turn, either. So, most of the States tell you to draw an additional card after the effect takes place. Most of these cards are Adventure cards, but a couple are noted to be in other decks.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Bad Moon

All enemies on all boards are +2 in all combats. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Isolation

No followers are allowed. Discard all of them until Isolation ends. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon

State-0 Warmonger

This master of chaos inspires enemies in the Dungeon. They get +2 in all combats. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon

State-0 Neutrality!

All alignments are irrelevant. Ignore all cards and spaces regarding alignment. If required, consider characters neutral. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Martial Law

No weapons of any kind may be carried or used. Discard them all until Martial Law ends. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Event Horizon

The first player to execute a special mission for the Warlock gets to secretly select 2 alternate endings. Do not discard existing States. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Mental Hygiene

No spells may be held or used. Discard them all until Mental Hygiene ends. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Hypertime

All instructions to draw encounter cards on all boards are doubled. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Nightfall

All enemies are +1 and players cannot gain life. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City

State-0 Elitism

The City is sealed. Characters who leave (or are ejected) can't return. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Higher Stakes

For all instructions to lose life lose an additional life. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure

State-0 Time in Overdrive

You may reroll your dice once each combat. Do not discard other existing states. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there's twelve for now, and we'll see how the feedback goes. The cards created a couple of additional opportunites:

Dungeon

Event-1 Timeline Configuration

Select an alternate ending to be removed from the game. If the Event Horizon has been reached, ignore this card. Draw another card.

City

Event-1 Rewrite History!

Select an alternate ending to be removed from the game. If the Event Horizon has been reached, ignore this card. Draw another card.

Adventure

Event-1 Timeline Manipulation

And finally:

Adventure

Event-1 Liberte!

Discard all existing states. Shuffle in all discard piles. Draw another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The State cards created a couple more opportunites:

Adventure

Event-1 Power Untold

If you choose, discard a State of your choice, or discard all of them. Either way, draw another card.

Adventure

Event-1 Timeline Restoration

Discard all existing States and Secrets. Shuffle all discards into their decks and draw another card.

Spell

Phase Correction

Discard a State of your choice. When you use this spell, draw another to replace it.

[I wanted to carry the "drawing" theme over to the spell deck, even if just for this one spell!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.