Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa is a game that I consider to have elegant mechanics that create not a bad game, but not one that really grabs me. Thus, why it has been sitting on my shelf for the past few years and why Randy hadn't played a game of it yet.

Randy's attempting to reach 500 played and rated games by the end of the year, thus his request for me to bring it to our latest boardgame day. I was quite happy to bring it in, and we did have an enjoyable game, but the game still isn't one that I'd suggest myself.

Halfway through the game

The quick summary of the game is this: Sarah and I, who had played the game before, did really badly. Rich and Randy, who hadn't played before, did really well. What can you say? Well, it had been three or more years since Sarah and I had played it, and Sarah had the "enjoyable" position of always having the ship end up in places that were really, really bad for her, and having all her goods depreciate away before her next turn.

I'm sure part of the strategy of the game is getting "chains" of market stalls that allow you to do things cheaply. Rich and Randy were really, really good at this: indeed, Rich made his chains so they followed on from Randy's. Guess who played just before Rich? Yeah, that's right: Randy. Sarah played after Rich, and that wasn't good for Sarah.

Towards the end of the game, I had a lot of nice booths down, but I really hadn't sold many goods. Randy and Rich had sold a lot - although Rich had sold fewer actual barrels - and Randy had a lot of booths as well - and thus he was able to take the game.

I did enjoy playing Hansa, but there are a lot of other games I enjoy more. Still, it's quick and relatively light: I should bring it in for my boardgame class.

End of the game

Final scores:
Randy (tan): 60 = (47 sold, 1 unsold, 8 booths, 4 alone)
Rich (brown): 38 = (32 sold, 6 booths)
Merric (grey): 35 = (20 sold, 3 unsold, 12 booths)
Sarah (white): 27 = (17 sold, 10 booths)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just hit part of the strategy on the head. Paying attention/Building to take advantage of the person before you.

Also, If you find yourself in a position where all you can do is grab a single barrel, you're better off keeping the 3 gold and spending a whopping 6 the next turn. I did that the once and managed to "sell" two pairs of tiles in the single turn. You don't HAVE to move the ship.

I think there is quite a bit of strategy in this game and I enjoyed it, but I don't find it as good as many of the other enjoyable games we play. Thanks for bringing it along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Randy's attempting...

I thought I was the one who made all the English errors whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:

Quote:
Randy's attempting...

= Randy is attempting to...

It's just me using an elison or contraction.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
GeneSteeler wrote:

Quote:
Randy's attempting...

= Randy is attempting to...

It's just me using an elison or contraction.

Cheers!

Cool! So I was right! Like I said.. "I thought I was the one who made all the English errors"

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had to look up elison just to understand what you said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a book on learning Ancient Greek by studying the Odyssey. Homer uses a lot of elisons, so that word has stuck in my mind.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as a 2 players game it shines !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.