Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Article here.

Not exactly a ton of meat, but worth a few minutes to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend not playing them against a computer then.

I liked that comment at the end of the article: if you want to beat DeepBlue at a game, pick something other than chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto the "don't play them against a computer!"

I always wondered why it was so impossible to program a computer to be bad enough at Chess for a casual or novice player to have fun playing against
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Interesting article, though I'm not sure why they say that Noughts and Crosses was ruined by computers. I'm pretty sure we didn't need computers to figure that one out for ourselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
StormKnight wrote:

I always wondered why it was so impossible to program a computer to be bad enough at Chess for a casual or novice player to have fun playing against

In the early days of stand alone chess conputers, they would control the intelligence of the computer by limiting its CPU time. Now, with advanced processors, that simply doesn't work. I suspect that the early chess computers had the equivilent of an 8086 processor at best, so grinding away at a complicated chess game could take a while. I remember having to walk away for several minutes in the more advanced games in order to give the little fella "time to think".

Talk about AP !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emo Philips: "A computer once beat me at chess. But it was no match for me at kickboxing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a development of this article in the this week's New Scientist: a feature of quantum computers playing Poker

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227081.300-quantum-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fritz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wake me when one can beat a person at ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't follow such things closely, so I'm intrigued to find out what's up in the field.

But I don't think computers "ruin" these games. Cars haven't ruined walking for me, and sampling drum machines haven't ruined drumming for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander E. Stevens
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that people still do rubik's cubes even after all these years?

Last I checked, when a computer solves a game, we are not all magically granted with the knowledge to do so. I'm not letting any computer ruin a game for me; that's my own damned job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried arm wrestling an industrial robot recently? They are tough to beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is only a matter of time until computers are superior to humans in every intellectual capacity. But then, for any given person, there has always been other people superior to them in every intellectual capacity... and that hasn't stopped our interest in games.

Games are not about beating the best opponents. They're about beating the opponents you have right now... and those are often the ones you've chosen to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
Is it even possible to ruin Rock, Paper, Scissors?

Philistine!

http://www.worldrps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=vi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

When all the board games we play become dust and no one remembers 99% of them, people will still play Rock, Paper, Scissors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebelwerfer41 wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure that would be hard (relatively speaking) to do. More of a nobody's-implemented-it kind of thing, not a it-can't-be-done. There's a much smaller solution space to wade through, plus lots of ways to use Bayesian logic (make the computer run a million games and learn from each one).

More disturbingly, AI's are solution-neutral. If you program them to win, they will win, no matter how stupid, unfair, or bizarre their strategies might be. For example, Steve Jackson discusses that it was sheer chance that a player figured out that taking all GEV's was a devastating strategy in GEV and Ogre. A force of light hovercraft vs. a giant cybertank? Who'd do that? But it worked beautifully. AI's do this, only better.

The current issue of the New Yorker has an article by Malcolm Gladwell that references an old trillion-credit squadron Traveller competition. Using a computer about as smart as a modern watch, Doug Lenat designed a fleet that ran counter to every assumption about how to compete--and did so well that they first changed the rules to frustrate him, and then essentially forced him not to compete the following year. Read it at http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/11/090511fa_fact_... .

It's one of the best articles for gamers I've read in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
It is only a matter of time until computers are superior to humans in every intellectual capacity.

And when that happens, Skynet wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
Nebelwerfer41 wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure that would be hard (relatively speaking) to do. More of a nobody's-implemented-it kind of thing, not a it-can't-be-done.

Combat Mission puts up a relatively good fight, and I believe it has its roots in an ASL implementation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
VanVeen wrote:
More disturbingly, AI's are solution-neutral. If you program them to win, they will win, no matter how stupid, unfair, or bizarre their strategies might be. For example, Steve Jackson discusses that it was sheer chance that a player figured out that taking all GEV's was a devastating strategy in GEV and Ogre. A force of light hovercraft vs. a giant cybertank? Who'd do that? But it worked beautifully. AI's do this, only better.

But I don't see this as disturbing. If the strategy is a winning strategy, how is it unfair or bizarre? If it wins over the opponent's strategy, then it's a good strategy, full stop. A human player should be able to identify unconventional winning strategies as well.

If a winning strategy seems inappropriate or bizarre, then it may be that the game design is at fault, but the player who uses it certainly isn't. By the sound of it, the naval warfare game described in the article is vulnerable to a strategy which is not supposed to be a sensible strategy - yet is. Thus it is a severely flawed design.

Interesting article btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

There are a lot of good programs for learning chess that allow you to play against an AI of your level (or lower if you need to raise your self esteem after an embarassing loss).

I use Chessmaster. It's rewarding to beat an AI 300 points higher than you, and yes, I've had to beat up on weak opponent after losing some games I should've won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
VanVeen wrote:
More disturbingly, AI's are solution-neutral.

Yes... beating a human at an ASL scenario is entirely plausible.

Let's see the computer play a country in Diplomacy and come out ahead. Or, better yet, let's see the computer play a chair in Apples To Apples and do well. Or Charades. Or Pictionary.

When a game can be reduced to a state map and played repeatedly, a computer is a good tool for finding an answer. When the game is played with art and soul instead of merely thought and finesse, we'll be handing the machines defeats for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
LEHaskell wrote:

When all the board games we play become dust and no one remembers 99% of them, people will still play Rock, Paper, Scissors

In post-apocalyptic Earth, the game will be Rock, Rock, Rock since, of course, nothing beats rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
In the early days of stand alone chess conputers, they would control the intelligence of the computer by limiting its CPU time.

I remember an old chess program a friend of mine had on his old Mac. He always did worse against it if he thought about his moves, because it was processing in that time too - but if he just played as fast as he could he'd win every time =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see Go on this list until I saw all of the caveats. Besides the silliness of a game being "ruined" because a computer can beat a human at it, the article then goes on to explain that it does no such thing.

A seven stone handicap is no small matter (it's the sort of handicap an experienced adult would give a child in a learning game, for crying out loud) and even then won by a slim margin and only if you use Chinese scoring.

The article then goes on to say that there might be a program that can beat a professional in a few decades.

In the meantime, there are plenty of programs available that can beat me right now, and the game is by no means ruined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:

And noughts and crosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Deep Blue may have beaten Garry Kasparov at chess, but it would be utterly flummoxed by snakes and ladders.

How exactly? Does Snakes & Ladders have any choices or strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.