United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to play Battlelore.

I have found many complaints about set up time.

I have always thought the "mini = hit point" idea to be unsatisfing.

Moving the units with multiple men in them always seems janky. Not difficult just not quite right.

This weekend I played an Epic battle scenerio, using two boards. My friend and I started with only the Flagbearers, leaving the extra "hit point" minis off the board. All units were considered to be at max hit points. When a unit does take damage we used a normal 6 sided die to represent the damage it has taken.

We found this to be much easier to set up, play with and tear down. I will be using this from now on.

The only draw back I can see to this is the game doesn't look quite as epic. We felt the benifits outweighed the drawbacks.

I seached the forums sorry if this is a repost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
This weekend I played an Epic battle scenerio, using two boards. My friend and I started with only the Flagbearers, leaving the extra "hit point" minis off the board. All units were considered to be at max hit points. When a unit does take damage we used a normal 6 sided die to represent the damage it has taken.

For me, the setup time has more to do with getting the terrain in the right places and getting the right type of figures in the starting hexes. Once you do that, adding more of the same type of figures to the same starting hexes wouldn't save me much time. But it helps to have your figures well sorted by type.

Also, I'd be concerned about knocking the dice about by accident when moving the figures and forgetting how many figures were left in the unit. But if it works for you, I'm good with it.

But, it's a good strategy if you don't have enough figures to deploy complete units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about using the various states & orientations of the mini itself to represent its strength? So full strength would be upright (with flag)....first loss might be to tip the unit over....weakest level would be unit lying prone, with flag removed and lying next to the unit, etc.

My BattleLore set is locked away in storage somewhere and I've not played in a year, so I have no clue whether this has any merit.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played so many games of battlelore that I guess moving units around has become second nature to me.

I can pick up a unit of two, three, or four figs and then set them back down looking relatively undisturbed.

The only difficulty we had when playing Epic was remembering which units had already been moved when 8+ units were ordered by the Command cards. What we started doing for that was setting down markers (the ones to determine armies in reluctant allies) next to the units that were ordered. This made it easier to remember which hex the ordered unit had moved from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.