United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Runebound (Second Edition)
Can someone compare/contrast these games? Are they roughly the same type of game with the same complexity or are am I comparing apples and oranges?

Talisman seems much simpler(is it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've played the 1st edition of "Runebound" and all but the latest edition of "Talisman". So base my comments on that caveat....

First off, in my plays there is not a lot of interaction between the players. They are basically multi-player solitaire games. They are race games in the sense that you are trying to improve your 'character' faster than the others. So they work as far as a 'beer & pretzel' type of game, but the competition is more against the game than the other players.

"Runesbound" left me kind of flat. Can't really put a finger on it. I hope the 2nd edition fixed that - it is a nice looking game with lots of 'color'. It seems to also take a bit longer to play than "Talisman" - for this type of game I prefer a quicker playing time.

"Talisman" on the other hand has always been kind of fun for me, in a lite sort of fluffy way. I like the 3rd edition the best (because I have the expansions I guess, and the cones and plastic minis are fun) but the 1st edition sure has a lot of fond memories for me. It is also the simpler of the two, but they are pretty close (and they both have lots of expansions with increases complexity of course).

So my vote is to go for "Talisman". I realize this doesn't address the latest editions of either game, but I hope it helps a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're roughly the same type of game. The main difference in my limited experience (I've only played each game once) is that Talisman's encounters are much more varied, while Runebound focuses almost exclusively on combat. Also, in Runebound you have a bit more control over where you go.

I prefer Talisman because Runebound's progress is very slow and it doesn't have much variety, but others might disagree.

Talisman is a little simpler, but Runebound isn't very complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement system in Runebound is a bit more complicated mainly because someone didn't design the stickers for the dice very well. It is easy to comfuse the mountain symbol with forest, if I remember correctly. This is a small gripe but one of the ones I like to harp on. A green sharpie pen fixes the dice though (or just look carefully at the terrain symbols when you roll.)

Both games have player v. player as more of an afterthought than as a central part of the game. I like player vs. player in Talisman better.

Runebound has a more varied endgame and many scenarios.

Talisman has a simple and faster combat system but I like the multi-phase combat system in Runebound better. After you are familiar with combat it goes pretty fast in Runebound too.

With expansions both have plenty of characters.

Runebound is pretty good solo. Talisman isn't. Runebound is best with about three players. Two is excellent also. Four is pushing it for Runebound. More than that and there is too much downtime between turns. Talisman is a little better in this regard for up to six as each individual turn goes faster due to simpler combat.

I give Runebound a slight nod in theme. There is a "market" variant that here on BGG for Runebound and I like using it as it evens out the luck of the draw somewhat.

If you are going to play with non gamers I would say get Talisman.

All in all though if I could only get one I would get Runebound.

Both are a lot of fun if you like this type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hated Talisman, Runebound is one of my favorites...

Runebound does run long. That's the only issue I have with it. I like the progression of the characters in it, and really disliked the randomness of the encounters in Talisman.

Prophecy felt like a game that was right in between these two. I enjoyed it (although not as much as Runebound), and it played in about half the time. It was still pretty random for encounters, but it was a little better controlled than in Talisman in my opinion.

A way to see what people think is check the user comments for each game. I see Runebound is the highest rated, with about double the number of ratings here on BGG. Second is Prophecy (with 500 rating less than Talisman), third is Talisman 4th ed.

all are in the top 500, so it's probably important you know what you want out of these games, because they are all pretty highly rated overall.

Runebound has alot of expansions. Talisman is getting more it seems, and Prophecy supposedly has a couple coming out someday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Talisman has some top notch production from the FFG folks. I like it as sort of a light geek party game full of color and theme. If you or people in your group are the type who think the outcome of a game will change their paycheck next week, it's not for you. You can't go in to Talisman expecting to win to have a good time. Of course, I have that attitude about any casual game. If you do get Talisman, the Reaper expansion is a must for nearly doubling the spell and adventure cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you are looking for a shorter or longer experience, but my feeling is that for a shorter, simpler experience Prophecy is superior to Talisman, and for a longer, more complex game, Descent: Journeys in the Dark is probably a better bet (though it does have a team-vs-overlord aspect that you may or may not care for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it's not apples than oranges. Both games will scratch the same itch.

Talisman probably has a bit more variety and allows for more playing styles. This can cut both ways, though - people expecting to sit down to a cozy multi-player solitaire-esque race game might not enjoy finding themselves in a brutal fight right from the word go, which is a perfectly viable - and effective - way to play the game.

Matter of taste, really. Both are fun.

(Just don't be fooled by the reviews and threads here that describe Talisman as a roll-and-move game or a luckfest. There's so much strategy beneath the surface here that nothing could be farther from the truth...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Talisman feels like a kids game. Runebound on the other hand is great! In Talisman you roll a die, go to a square and pick up one or several adventure cards and do what they say. You are very much at the mercy of the die and card draw.

In Runbound, you have more control. It has a very interesting and fun movement system, where you have more control of where to go compared to Talisman. This allows you to choose encounters in a better way. The combat system is also much more interesting, and items are usually bought in towns rather than picked up as a random draw as in Talisman. This also gives you more control over what items to equip your character with.

Runebound is a gamers game, Talisman is a family game. In my mind, Runebound is the much better game for an adult, especially an adult gamer.

You should know though, that both games are long. I would only play Runebound with max three players unless I am absolutely certain that the players can take a long gaming session (I'd say 5 hours with 5 players). Talisman is also long, but the turns are shorter and the playing time does thus not increase that more with more players. You are still looking at2+ hours though.

Haven't played Prophecy, but I would pick than one over Talisman, based on what I have read about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Talisman over Runebound. Both games have tons of support from FFG and there isn't really a "correct answer" to this question.

If you are looking for a light beer n pretzel game with tons of random shit going on...look no further than Talisman. The game is fun, plays well with 4-5 people and is sure to give players something to talk about. There is also a ton of player interaction in Talisman...so downtime isn't as much of a factor. Not to mention that players turns are lighting fast. Character development is simple, but each character feels vastly different from one another. The game has alot of "take that" moments and at times it will seem like board is out to ruin your night. Fantasy Flight has been spoiling Talisman fans with the 4th edition. I'm really enjoying it.

Runebound is more complex/deeper than Talisman. The game seems to work best with fewer players IMHO. It also has the benefit of being an awesome game to play solo. The combat is much better than it is in Talisman, but the characters lack flavor/charm. One of my favorite parts of Runebound is the cohesive quest that every player is trying to complete first. All the adventure cards are related to a specific goal and it really helps create this excellent adventure. Runebound has tons and tons of expansions to help keep it fresh. If you want something a little more complex, go with Runebound.

Eventually you will do well to pick up both (yea I know its not what you want to hear). They are very similar, but for me they each serve unique purpose. Talisman is more like a party game for 4-5 people. Runebound is something I play mostly solo.

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman = good time for 4 or 5 friends to backstab each other and engage in long oaths of vengeance.

Runebound = Good way to put 4 or 5 of your friends to sleep.

(Runebound IS an excellent 2 player game however)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.