Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get to play TLoL at all of late, but a thought came to me last night that I thought I'd put out there to see what others think.

How would the game play if the tiles were dealt out at the start of the game & players could review their tiles & play them as desired? (All tiles would be dealt out & players would be left with 2 unplayed tiles each.)

It might remove a little of the simplicity of the game, but could introduce more strategy.

If anyone gives it a try, I'd be interested to see if it works. Also, if there are any suggestions or improvements, that would be great as well.

One thought I've just had is that maybe the bridges & tussocks need to be taken out first. Each player receives one of each & the third is set aside. Then the remaining tiles would be dealt out. That way it would stop one player having an unfair advantage. Alternately, a player could chose between the extra bridge/tussock (either seen or unseen) & the other player takes the unselected tile.

- If seen, it may help to balance players.
- If unseen, one player gets the tactical advantage of a bridge & the other gets a point.

Anyway, once again, if you give it a go, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea.

Maybe instead of dealing out all the cards, you could have a hand of five or so and then draw back up to five. Seems like you could keep the bridges and tussocks in the deck that way since either player could draw those later in the game.

If I get a chance, I'll give this a go. We recently have been playing this game again after it's sat on the shelf for a couple years. It's an enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments.

Your thought of a hand of 5 tiles is probably better than my thought of dealing out all the tiles & coping with a hand of 20 tiles.

My only concern with the bridges is that they are such a powerful tile (even in the vanilla game). I've played a game where my opponent got all the bridges - it wasn't pretty. This being the case, I'd still be thinking of each player starting with at least 1 bridge so that things start a little bit evenly.

But anyway, whatever you do, thanks for taking a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the bridges! I've had that happen to me the last time I played, actually. It was maddening!

So, I would be interested in dealing one bridge to each player to see how the game plays like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha,

Had a bit of a play with this last night. There are 2 things I found.

1. Towards the end of the game a players hand tends to be made up of tiles they haven't wanted to play, but are now stuck with. I guess this means that players need to be more balanced throughout the game (i.e. not just play the tiles that will build their path/stream.

2. When a bridge is played in the regular game, the tile player picks a tile & replaces it with the bridge tile. The replaced tile is then given to the opponent, who must play it. With this variant I was toying with the tile being given to the opponent & the bridge tile playing player then selects a tile at random from the opponents tiles.

I'm not sure how/if you want to proceed. I'd still like to play around with this & appreciate your thoughts/suggestions. But I also understand that it needs a bit more thought & so, if you want to leave it to me, that's fine as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul!

My husband and I played with the hand of tiles yesterday. I didn't deal out the bridges, though, we left them in the deck. Somehow we decided to deal four cards instead of five, not sure why!

Anyway, overall I liked it better. It did seem to lend itself to planning ahead. At the end, like you mentioned, I ended up with a bad hand and was hoping each tile draw would be a positive one. In that way, the game could be comparable to playing it with the random draw.

However, it was interesting that both my husband and I hung onto the bridges we drew until the very end to make the most of the play.

We played that when you played a bridge, the other person got the tile and had the advantage of a five tile hand, but then didn't draw a new tile at the end of their play.

I do like this game, but the bridges are a bit of a problem for me. As you stated, they are very powerful and by having a hand of cards, it ensures that all the bridges will be played, so I do think that it is better to give each player one bridge at the beginning of the game.

We'll play again soon that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha,

Thanks for taking it for a spin. I very much appreciate that.

I've been trying to think of what to do with the bad hand you more than likely end up with. I've had two thoughts,

1. You need to be aware of this possibility & try to look for places where you can play these tiles so you don't get to the stage where they are the only tiles you have.

2. Each player starts with a tussock.
This tile can be played as normal, or can be used to buy a tile at random from your opponent (your choice).
So, if you play it, you get a point & the chance to possibly create an island/pond. If you use it to buy a tile from your opponent, you give them a point, but you might get a tile you need (maybe a bridge).

Anyway, once again, thanks for having a go.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.