Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, about two months ago, I started exploring the world of Euro-style boardgaming. This was met with equal parts reservation and excitement by my wife.

Excitement because, even at her most patient, she's not a fan of playing video-games. She's one of those people for whom remembering what the green button or the blue button do casts a barrier between herself and the game. She likes the Wii for its control scheme, but won't play anything more serious.

Reservation because, when I do something, I don't do it halfway. As the shelves in my office began filling up with colorful boxes, I could tell she was thinking, oh lord, what's he gotten into now?

I've been gradually introducing her to games (as discovered here on the Geek). We started with Settlers of Catan (of course). Then moved along to Carcassonne (this was enough of a success that we have a CarcassonneBox direct from Germany) and Ticket to Ride: Europe and Switzerland.

One night, feeling bold, I set up Pandemic and we played a 2-player game. And she dug it! This was a particularly triumphant moment, as I figured if she'd put up with that, well, I could toss just about anything at her.

Since then, we've played other games. We've tried card games like Knights of Charlemagne. We've played Munchkin. We even tossed a travel copy of Settlers of Catan into our bag for a day-trip down to the city. You know, in case we tucked into a pub for a pint or two and wanted something to play.

This weekend, we tried playing a game of Stone Age. I've been wanting to give Agricola a shot but Stone Age seemed the safer introduction to a "worker placement" game.

The first couple rounds, as she grasped the concept of the game, were tense. Once she had it sorted out how things worked, she was hooked.

Tonight, after dinner, before I set down to write, we played Stone Age again. The whole game took just a pinch over an hour; the final score was 170 to 160, her advantage (she got a 1-7 card and played 7 Gold, which was something to see).

Closing up the game, talking about how much fun we'd had, how much better than tossing something on the 360 which inevitably leads to her sitting there watching me play (or, constantly reminding her how to do what, which makes her feel dumb, which she isn't), she picked up the Rio Grande mini-catalog and started browsing through it.

"What's this game? Niagara?"

"Dunno. Why?"

"It looks interesting."

Uh oh.

"Interesting?"

"Yeah. Look, there are little boats. And crystals."

"Well, I'll go look it up."

So, away to the Geek to do a touch of research. I found a good review (Don't Go Over The Falls) and sent it along to her via IM to look at.

"So, what do you think?"

"I'm sold. Buy it."

So, there you have it. Two months ago, she would have looked at me crosseyed (and did) at the suggestion of anything but Monopoly or Scrabble. And now she's picking out games and (if I had to bet) registering for the site.

Which is why the title for this post is my Mad Doctor / Justice League International maniacal laugh. Because my wife has now started her boardgame collection with Niagara and (of course) the "Spirits of Niagara" expansion.

Well done, BGG.com. Well done.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niagara is a great game, especially with the expansion. You'll need a third player (needs at least 3p), so hope you have another opponent to join in, but hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Jedi, do you mean that without the expansion the game can be played by two players ? I hope so ! I was told that the basic game was for 3 plus players and that is why I did not buy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 3 or more player game with or without expansion. (expansion adds a 6th player)

There are 2p variants suggested here on BGG (basically, make a "dumb" card stack for a third player, etc.), but it's 3 player minimum "officially" game. Some of the boxes (and therefore, some game sites) mistakenly say 2p, so didn't know if OP had seen that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.