Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: I have some confuse in three Stark House Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Tan
China
Shanghai
HongKou District
flag msg tools
I have some confuse in three stark house cards, Someone could help me to explain. Thanks

1. Winterfell Honor Guard (S17)
Challenges: You may put Winterfell Honor Guard into play from your hand, under the control of any opponent. After that opppnent wins a challenge in which Winterfell Honor Guard participated, take control of Winter Honor Guard.


This meaning is, when I play this card, I must put this card under other player's chartacter at first like attachment? and after he/she use this chartacter attack me and win, and then i could control this Winterfell Honor Guard. Is right?

2. Greatjon Umber(S10)
Challengs:Kneel Greatjon Umber to have him participate in the current (Axe) or (Crown) challenge as either the attacker or as the defender.


Why this text specially describe Greatjon Umber in challenge as attacker or as defender? I remember normally every chartacter in challenges could act as attacker or as defender.

3. Lord Eddard's Chambers(S28)
You may choose to paly Lord Eddard's Chambers as an attachment to your house card.


This is location card, and it's can be played easily in play, why and when we need to use this card exchange to attachment?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if I have some of the rules wrong, it has been quite a while... I don't know the exact cards you are referring to each, I'm just going by the text you have quoted. However this is how I see it:

1.) This means you may play the Honor Guard on an opponent during the challenge phase at no cost (it says, put into play). Unless it says otherwise, you can opt to ignore this text and simply put it into play by paying for it during Marshalling.

More useful in multiplayer games, where you may want to "give" a player the honor guard so that he can win a challenge against the leader, and then you still get to retain your honor guard.


2.) Normally you have to actually be involved in the challenge in order to kneel characters to participate. Greatjon Umber can jump into ANYONE's challenge whether you are involved as a player or not. In two player games, you can still use that text to put him on the opposing side during a challenge. Usually, you wouldn't want to, but maybe there is some convoluted strategy where you want to lose a challenge. Not sure.


3.) Well, to put it quite simply, putting it into play as an attachment may change the way that other cards interact with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also get Jon Umber involved in a challenge as an attacker AFTER the opponent declared defenders. Or as a defender after an action by the attacker changed the likely outcome.

As for Eddard's Chambers, there are cards that, for instance, remove locations or attachments from play. You have different options to play this card to prevent such things (assuming you can guess what your opponent might do).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3. See, the thing with attachments on your House card is that they can't really be affected/effected in any way, shape or form.

Locations and attachments in play (on characters, locations, etc) can be discarded, stolen, etc.

The only real drawback to the House card attachment concept is that you may only have one per House card. So, if you wanted to put a different attachment on your House, you'de have to discard the older one.

Hope this helps, happy slaying!

J!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Tan
China
Shanghai
HongKou District
flag msg tools
thanks for your reply, and Q3 i have understood,but Q1 and Q2 i still can not understand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix3301 wrote:
thanks for your reply, and Q3 i have understood,but Q1 and Q2 i still can not understand.


Greatjon Umber can still attack and defend as normal, the text on his card gives him an extra ability that he can use if he is standing. There are a few ways the ability can be used, as the previous posters have mentioned. I'll give an example as that might help you understand.

You are playing Stark and have Eddard (strength 3) and Greatjon in play. Your opponent is Targaryen and has Strong Belwas (strength 3) in play.

You declare a military challenge with Eddard, as if the opponent defends with Strong Belwas he will lose, as both have equal strength and that means the attacker wins.

You make the attack and the opponent does defend with Belwas but suddenly plays Forever Burning from his hand, which gives Eddard -1 strength. Suddenly you're not winning, as Eddard is now strength 2!

But luckily you have Greatjohn Umber. You use his kneel ability to jump into the challenge on the attacking side, and he adds his power to Eddard. You are now beating Strong Belwas despite the Targaryen tricks.


Hope that helps. There are numerous tricks Greatjohn can pull off, finding them is part of the fun of the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matrix3301 wrote:
I have some confuse in three stark house cards, Someone could help me to explain. Thanks

1. Winterfell Honor Guard (S17)
Challenges: You may put Winterfell Honor Guard into play from your hand, under the control of any opponent. After that opppnent wins a challenge in which Winterfell Honor Guard participated, take control of Winter Honor Guard.


This meaning is, when I play this card, I must put this card under other player's chartacter at first like attachment? and after he/she use this chartacter attack me and win, and then i could control this Winterfell Honor Guard. Is right?


No. This is a typical character, but you put it into play (without playing its cost) on your opponent side and the other play may use this character. Once Winterfell Honour Guard participates in a winning challenge, it goes back to your side of the table. This character is only useful in multiplayer games, when you want to help a weaker player win against a stronger opponent, e.g. not to allow him to gain claim and completely destroy the weaker player. It can also be used as a card in your sleeve during negotiations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Honor Guard may be useful in two player games if there is some way you can force another player's character to participate in the challenge. Just force the honor guard into a challenge in which he wouldn't affect the outcome, and then claim him for your own without having to pay for it.

I'm not familiar enough with the game to know whether such a card exists in any form, but it can never be ruled out as a possible future addition regardless. Typically in card games like this, individual effects often seem pointless on their own, but interesting interactions can be found if you compare them to other cards and think outside the box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Hansen

Lübeck
Schleswig-Holstein
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only have one attachment to your house card!? That's new to me. Can you in general have only one attachment to a card, or is it a special rule? Where is it in the rules?

H
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Tan
China
Shanghai
HongKou District
flag msg tools
Scrowe wrote:
Matrix3301 wrote:
thanks for your reply, and Q3 i have understood,but Q1 and Q2 i still can not understand.


Greatjon Umber can still attack and defend as normal, the text on his card gives him an extra ability that he can use if he is standing. There are a few ways the ability can be used, as the previous posters have mentioned. I'll give an example as that might help you understand.

You are playing Stark and have Eddard (strength 3) and Greatjon in play. Your opponent is Targaryen and has Strong Belwas (strength 3) in play.

You declare a military challenge with Eddard, as if the opponent defends with Strong Belwas he will lose, as both have equal strength and that means the attacker wins.

You make the attack and the opponent does defend with Belwas but suddenly plays Forever Burning from his hand, which gives Eddard -1 strength. Suddenly you're not winning, as Eddard is now strength 2!

But luckily you have Greatjohn Umber. You use his kneel ability to jump into the challenge on the attacking side, and he adds his power to Eddard. You are now beating Strong Belwas despite the Targaryen tricks.


Hope that helps. There are numerous tricks Greatjohn can pull off, finding them is part of the fun of the card.


thank you very much, i see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benton Seay
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Castorp wrote:
You can only have one attachment to your house card!? That's new to me. Can you in general have only one attachment to a card, or is it a special rule? Where is it in the rules?

H


That is not a rule.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.