Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 player dominance

I love this game but am relatively new to it (only 6 logged plays). I played a three player game against two others who had only
played 1 game each prior to this and those 4 additional plays made a big difference.

This was the first time I had used the advanced side of the board, with additional buildings (inc the ziggurat), in the latest Mayfair edition of the game. I read up on the additional rules and we got going.

Each player tended to start their own, single kingdom, and stick to it. I was determined not to fall into the trap of treasure
hunting which was my downfall last time I played ~ too much outlay for too little return. We watched each other from afar but didn't
intervene. I was fortunate to pick up a succession of red tiles and laid them out diagonally so that each of my leaders was adjacent
to two, three or even four red tiles to protect me from internal conflicts (and as it turned out external priestly conflicts). I also was able to draw a bunch of blue tiles early and so even though I had planned to build a monument I went for three straight blue tiles down a river to build my first (ever) blue building (can't remember the name of them in the rules right now). This seemed like a good idea but it never produced a single cube for me. Partly cause I kept drawing groups of other colours (four blacks, then greens then reds) and so was too busy building monuments to worry about my river building. The monuments (three in all) were producing so many cubes that I didn't add to the river and in the mean time the next kingdom over built a longer stretch down the river and took it from me. As it turned out we were all collecting treasures without much conflict, but as we grew external conflict became inevitable.

Thanks to my plethora of red tiles when I connected to my neighbour, not only did I gain a massive victory (5 cubes) but also captured a monument in the process. I didn't hold it for long as a catastrophe tile was played on me and broke my narrow connection to that particular monument but the other three were producing nicely anyway.

In the end the other players paid the price for not attaching early enough (one did attempt an internal conflict not quite realising how this would end and paid the price for it) and were wiped away 18 to 8 to 8. I did realize after the game that I had made one major error in my favour (rookie mistake) and that is my king was collecting red cubes from monuments for a period early in the game when my priest was absent. In the end I had 24 red cubes so even if I got half of those (unlikely) from my dodgy dealings I don't think the result would have been different. We did play that way throughout the game and others benefited from it in their kingdoms but I think I got the lion's share so to speak.

Still the game was fun, and the extra 4 treasures didn't seem to prolong the game. Although no one attempted to build the ziggurat (obviously not chit-chaters). One of the other players remarked that a four player game has a lot more conflict because of the limited real estate available, which makes sense. I like it with 2, 3 or 4 players and will continue to play every chance I get - hopefully obeying the rules in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game of all time....having everything I want in a game. Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.