Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking for a few good question writers...
North Star Games will release a family edition of Wits & Wagers in February 2010. Our goal is to get a good variety of extremely high quality questions. To do this, we are soliciting a maximum of 10 questions from as many people as possible. If we like them, we'll ask for more.

Contact
If you'd like to write some questions, then thumb this list, make a quick post, and email Luke Warren at Luke@NorthStarGames.com. Let him know you are interested in writing questions (as opposed to testing them). He will send you a document that explains how to write good questions, and an Excel spreadsheet in which to record your questions. FYI, this spreadsheet will be simpler than before.

Compensation
We are paying $5 for each question that we use, but we will be EXTREMELY selective with the questions we choose. Please do not contact us if you are expecting to be well compensated for your time. This is not a good financial opportunity. It takes time to create good questions. Contact us only if you think this will be fun!

If we use 5 of your questions, we will also send you a free copy of the game when it comes out. If we use 20 of your questions, we will also credit you as one of the question writers in the game rules. But to set your expectations straight, please know ahead of time that we only expect to use 0 - 4 questions from most batches of 10. It is our experience that most people do not realize how difficult it is to write great questions (and we're only going to use the great ones).

The Ideal Question Writer
These questions should be written by people who interact with children on a daily basis. Our goal is for kids to be the "expert" (instead of the adults) on 50% - 60% of the questions. This means we will use questions from the 4th - 12th grade classroom, and questions about pop culture which is pertinent to kids. A question about Dora the Explorer is ok. The Manhattan Project is not. The Wiggles is ok. U2 is not. The Transformers is OK. 2001 Space Odyssey is not. Harry Potter is ok. Lord of the Rings is not. Hanna Montana is ok. Madonna is not. You get the picture.

Question Testers Needed!
If you would like to test some of the questions that get submitted with your family, then post on this thread.

Wits & Wagers Expansion #1 Pre-release
I just posted a thread about the release of our first expansion pack! Many of these questions were written by BGG users like yourself. They will be receiving a free copy of the expansion in June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you're looking for in our "quick post," but I'll be submitting an email to Luke soon. At the very least, this shows I can follow instructions, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:
Not sure what you're looking for in our "quick post," but I'll be submitting an email to Luke soon. At the very least, this shows I can follow instructions, right?

Following directions is nice. We appreciate that.

Yeah, I guess that was confusing. I just like to have a record on the BGG server. This way Luke and I can get in touch with you guys even if we don't have our computers with us (or especially if Luke's computer crashes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, no jokes about my computer crashing! That is a very sensitive issue with me, especially since it happens a lot!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dom,

I participated in the testing of certain questions several weeks ago, but the questions were very American. (Why can't Americans grasp the metric system like everyone else?)

Any chance you can Anglicise the questions a bit more? Or are you leaving that to DoW to do with Gambit 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward wilson
United Kingdom
manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to write some questions, I write pub quiz questions in my spare time and spend a lot of time with children. I love wits amnd wagers, and play it with my family quite a lot as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife works in a school and we love your games, so we are very interested in giving some writing a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
I participated in the testing of certain questions several weeks ago, but the questions were very American. (Why can't Americans grasp the metric system like everyone else?)

Half of our country still thinks the Earth is the center of the universe. The other half think the US is the center of the Earth. Need I say more?

anomander64 wrote:
Any chance you can Anglicise the questions a bit more? Or are you leaving that to DoW to do with Gambit 7?

The long answer is that we are torn. I have a strong international perspective since Mom was raised in Paris and I spent every summer there in camp for much of my childhood. The problem is that 9,999 out of every 10,000 of our customers are from the US. Out of these, 9,000 of them are not interested in international questions. While I would love to write questions that cater to my tastes, it doesn't make sense to put my needs in front of our customers (or the needs of 1,000 over the needs of 9,000).

The short answer is that we have licensed the international rights of W&W to Days of Wonder, and we expect them to cater to the needs of international customers. The Commonwealth edition should be coming out soon, and those questions will be compatible with W&W (if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The long answer is that we are torn. I have a strong international perspective since Mom was raised in Paris and I spent every summer there in camp for much of my childhood. The problem is that 9,999 out of every 10,000 of our customers are from the US. Out of these, 9,000 of them are not interested in international questions. While I would love to write questions that cater to my tastes, it doesn't make sense to put my needs in front of our customers (or the needs of 1,000 over the needs of 9,000).
The short answer is that we have licensed the international rights of W&W to Days of Wonder, and we expect them to cater to the needs of international customers. The Commonwealth edition should be coming out soon, and those questions will be compatible with W&W (if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).

Yeah, I understand the need to cater to the greatest demand, and I can't blame you at all. Producing boardgames has got to be a costly and none too lucrative business.

I am old enough to remember imperial measurements, it's just that my kids are not, and it is them I want to really involve with this game.

Suppose I'll just have to wait for DoW to pull their finger out and get G7 published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
(if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).
Where do I go to find out about these "modifications"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The Commonwealth edition should be coming out soon, and those questions will be compatible with W&W (if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).

Please define "soon".

Tomorrow would be convenient.

Love, me. xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
domcrap wrote:
(if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).
Where do I go to find out about these "modifications"?

Hopefully someone will create a new entry for Gambit 7. For some reason it has been merged with Wits & Wagers. Then you'll be able to go there and get all the information you want. In the mean time, you can go to the Day of Wonder website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
domcrap wrote:
The Commonwealth edition should be coming out soon, and those questions will be compatible with W&W (if you prefer the betting element to the Gambit 7 modifications).

Please define "soon".

Tomorrow would be convenient.

Love, me. xx

soon:
adverb, -er, -est.

Sometime after tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me. My personal timing was off for being able to write for the expansion pack, but I'd like to try my hand this time around. I'll send an email to Luke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McCartney
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to write a few for the first run of questions, and since then I think I have come up with a couple more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in having a go at writing some questions. My wife is an elementary school teacher so hopefully we can come up with some questions you'll find useful. Although you didn't state this, I assume that you'd want us to provide the answers to the questions, and a source for the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Hey Dom,

I'm a Brit, and as far as I'm concerned, meters (AND metres) are for putting coins in

I would sooner become the next state of USA than get any closer to that MONSTER of waste and fraud called Europe.

But I would echo the other comment, if you are aiming at a global audience, don't make the questions Ameri-centric. You put questions in about American TV kids programs you better keep them to Sesame St, The Simpsons and Kermit, otherwise you'll just get a confused stare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as a father of four and a Boy Scout leader I'm certain surround by kids. I brought Wits and Wagers to a Memorial day party and everyone had a blast. Fun, fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of children and would like to try to write a couple of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pearson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm hoping this post isn't too late or too American, whatever that means.

Anyway, I'm an experienced trivia question writer, and I'll be sending an e-mail asking for permission to write questions for Wits and Wagers. Thanks in advance for your consideration and for not flaming me for being too late to the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Paul,

Thanks for your interest. I emailed you back.

And for all you other question writers out there, I want to remind you that the deadline for questions is 20 August. Thanks!

Luke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.