John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been talking with Universal Head a lot, trying to get him to work on the ICNY versions of his brilliant stat cards. Unfortunately, our stalwart designer doesn't play the game anymore, and it looks like the work/reward ratio just isn't making the cut right now. So, there are no plans for Universal Head ICNY stat cards.

I saw this coming a couple weeks ago; you can't expect a guy to put in hours of work on a game he doesn't even enjoy anymore. I myself enjoy fiddling with Photoshop, and even though I'm nowhere near Head's skill level, I ended up with a card style I kinda liked. I thought I'd run it by the MonPoc community and see if you guys think it's worth the time to do a whole run of:

(It's just a template, so don't holler because the stats are off.) If people think they'd use this, I'll go ahead and do ICNY stats for monsters and and then units, and eventually I'll get to the Base set for those of us who like things to match. But first I want to get opinions, or alternate designs if there are any other armchair 'shoppers out there.

P.S. This is just a shrunken JPG, the real one's bigger and better resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome template!

The one and only comment (and this is a nit pick) is that the card size is "non standard". The UniversalHead cards seemed to be closer to standard trading card size...

Maybe you could make the stats for one monster split into two standard cards? One is basic stats, the other is actions/triggers/skills, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, and I would be thrilled if you did put together an ICNY card set. If there's any way I can be of help in the process, I'm ready, willing, and able (unless it's Photoshop).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! I'd happily use those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
the card size is "non standard". The UniversalHead cards seemed to be closer to standard trading card size...

As I said, this image is resized from the original for easy display in the forum. The actual size at 300 ppi is 2.5" by 3.5"; very close to standard card size, just turned on its side.

Thanks for the positive response, guys, I'm going to go ahead and do ICNY this way and see how they turn out. For those who want to help, keep an eye out for ICNY Mega stats and photos. I don't have.any of those yet, so links would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and do ICNY this way and see how they turn out.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
... keep an eye out for ICNY Mega stats and photos. I don't have.any of those yet, so links would be greatly appreciated.

All of the ICNY Mega stats are available right here on the Geek, in bamancio's excellent (but utilitarian) business card sized reference cards. Everyone should go check them out (and thumb them) right now.

Brandon A
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, if you need help, gimme a shout - I do have Photoshop and Illustrator. Even Acrobat, if you want the "official" pdf formatting.

Just make sure you shift text around as their sizes change (the second block of abilities is a little low) to maintain aesthetic goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
For those who want to help, keep an eye out for ICNY Mega stats and photos. I don't have.any of those yet, so links would be greatly appreciated.

How high a resolution do you need? The mega pics are all in the Strategy guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew has graciously offered to supply me with pics from the Strategy Guide, so that is some great news!

Also, I played around with the layout and came up with this version, which I like a little better. The power and faction symbols have been moved to fill some of the dead space near the figure photo, and taking their places up top are a set symbol and the Hyper shift number (not seen on this Alpha, stupid me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to these. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of quick comments as I've looked at these more. First, I really like showing the red square for gaining a power dice. I'm more likely to quickly glance at a card and remember, "Oh yes, I could gain a power dice for that!" I also like the blue stars for the boost dice. You might want to consider a slight black outline depending on the background that you use. I'm not a graphics expert by any means though and I don't know if that causes problems when printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The p-dice idea was lifted right off Universal Head, so I can't take credit for it.

I like the bonus outline idea, shouldn't be a lot of trouble to re-do those so I'll give it a try and see if it looks nicer. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xanthos wrote:
I also like the blue stars for the boost dice.

I personally prefer the conventional notation to multiple stars for boost dice. Love the cards overall, though, and I'll definitely be using them either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple updates and a request for help!

Andrew never got back to me on the pictures. If anyone has a scanner and the ICNY strategy guide, I'd appreciate some scans of certain figures. I've had a real hard time finding pics on the internet that are suitable in quality. I need:

-All Mega figures
-Both Chompers
-Both Bellowers
-Any other Monsters you can scan

PM me for my email if you can help me out.

Anyways, the Lords of Cthul and the Shadow Sun Syndicate are completely finished (Rise and ICNY). I think Planet Eaters are next.

Here's an SSS card (and again, it's a shrunken/pixelated JPG, the pdf looks much better):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

Anyways, the Lords of Cthul and the Shadow Sun Syndicate are completely finished (Rise and ICNY). I think Planet Eaters are next.

Get any further? Care to release the .pdf so far?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Planet Eaters and Buildings are done. I've been slow lately, and its a LOT more involved than I thought it would be, sorry.

I can put up pdf's as I get them done, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Yeah, Planet Eaters and Buildings are done. I've been slow lately, and its a LOT more involved than I thought it would be, sorry.

I can put up pdf's as I get them done, though

That would be cool! Are you going to post them in this thread or in the file section of the game page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new news on this project? I'm eager to see how they turn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.