Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this has already been posted here, but I couldn't find it. I found the following through Skepchick, one of the most entertaining science/skepticism blogs, and it made me laugh (and groan), and passing it on in this forum seemed like the logical thing to do.

Sociological Images: Girls' Versions of Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim "git yer stinkin' themes offa my mechanic" Puccio
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my GeekList "Repackaging Warhammer for girls."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god. Mystery Date is still being made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2019 BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games for girls:

http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame

In response to the OP, I have also seen pink tool sets, marketed to women. There are ebbs and flows to everything, including progress. From the Leave it to Beaver ideal of the 50's to bra-burning ERA hopes of the 70's, we're in some ways swinging back again. Perhaps because of unemployment numbers? If there aren't enough jobs, the men should have them, and women should stay home? I don't know. Maybe it takes what we take for granted being threatened to make us act and move forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Benham
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing beats the pink plastic-stocked .22 I saw in the Walmart gun rack a week or so back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw that at Toys R Us a few weeks ago. Apparently girls aren't supposed to play board games unless they're pink? I dunno, my wife really loves games like Risk Godstorm and Princes of Florence, those aren't pink. Seems like a crazy marketing gimmick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benny275 wrote:
Yeah, I saw that at Toys R Us a few weeks ago. Apparently girls aren't supposed to play board games unless they're pink? I dunno, my wife really loves games like Risk Godstorm and Princes of Florence, those aren't pink. Seems like a crazy marketing gimmick.

TRU sells a lot of crap marketed to all sorts of groups. They have very few "good" games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaPirateAssassin wrote:
Nothing beats the pink plastic-stocked .22 I saw in the Walmart gun rack a week or so back.
I saw one of those at a sporting goods store last summer!
I wanted to get it so bad, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creeps me out when I see Ouija boards grouped in with board games. And somehow, communicating with dead people seems like the least likely possible candidate for a pink/girly version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim "git yer stinkin' themes offa my mechanic" Puccio
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D Beau wrote:
Creeps me out when I see Ouija boards grouped in with board games. And somehow, communicating with dead people seems like the least likely possible candidate for a pink/girly version.
Aw, hell... it's just another dexterity game, but multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McNulty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy of Samurai came in a pink box.
I have yet to talk my wife into playing it.

Just the chuckleheads in marketing trying to pretend to the boss that they shouldn't be dropped out the nearest employment airlock.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Rizzo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, pink used to be a perfectly good color in a palate of colors. Now it's just... Pepto.

Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fischjello
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a positive note, Atlas Games is coming out with this:

http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1320.php

It's not a game meant just for girls...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.videosift.com/video/SNL-ad-Chess-for-Girls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Tillery
United States
California
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:

Last time I was out shopping for a new game, there were girls raving about the "electronic talking phone" that came with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a selection tool. I'd stay away from anyone, regardless of gender, who considered that the extent of 'girl's gaming'!

Was checking this thread looking to try and convert a gaming friend's non-gaming wife into groups (thus increasing his attendance, AND group size, win!). don't think these will help though ;)

Thanks for the laugh :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an image and discussion thread that should be promoted for girls.

Dakka Dakka - Forums - Space Hulk is For Girls
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/256076.page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing ads for these games now that it's closer to Christmas. It's horrible! Well, I just don't really like pink, never really have (more of a purple fan). It's like "Hey, let's slap pink on it, put purses, makeup and dolls in it and girls will love it". I was never a "girly" kind of girl. I played sports and always went with the darker colors. But, if it gets more girls playing games (which I don't think it's a problem anyway) I'm all for it. Kind of like if Twilight gets more teens reading I'm all for it no matter how horrid it is. Kids will find out the good stuff sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elementary
msg tools
cferejohn wrote:

Too bad that it hasn't been repackaged in a nice manly brown, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
temazur
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What strikes me as odd is that you have all kinds of awesome board games for little kids which don't worry about being marketed to a specific gender, but once it hits a preteen kind of thing they decided to go pink? I think they'd have more success pushing the "JR" versions of some of the games to make kids dedicated players younger than trying to recapture the female market with pink games.

Besides, I'm not a pink fan - though I almost want the pink Ouiji board just because.

Tracy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pink Ouija boards and no pink magic eight-balls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Abstractionist wrote:
Oh, wow, there IS a pink magic eight ball ("date ball"). wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
OTOH...

I have no doubt at all that my 8-year-old girl would love to browse this display and probably would be willing to try almost anything on it.

In their normal non-pink version, my girl would just assume the games weren't meant for her and be resistant to even trying them.

That particular age is starting to create social bonds outside of immediate family and group identification takes on large importance for both boys and girls. As adults, we may decry the baggage that comes from such stereotyping, but the kids don't. It hits a need for them dead on, at least in my limited experience raising both a boy and a girl.

I can hardly fault the marketers, who, after all, just want to get things to sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Best part of the article:

Quote:
Both Abby and I found the pink Ouija board odd. I didn’t know they really still sold them. My grandma came across an old one when they were cleaning out my great-grandma’s stuff a couple of years back and she took it and gave it to my teen-aged cousin. My aunt took great offense and sent it back. My grandma, who is a devout Christian, took offense at my aunt taking offense (and implying that Grandma was giving her grandchildren satanic toys) and now keeps it around and lets kids play with it at her house. She also declared my aunt “no fun” and “too churchy.” If you knew my grandma, or had ever sat there and watched her call out to Jesus to help her find her missing spatula (he complied and made it appear in the drawer where she always keeps the spatulas), you would understand why I nearly choked on my food when she referred to someone else as “too churchy.” Now she’s decided that the Harry Potter movies are not, as so many people she knows had told her, satanic but are instead quite funny.

Amusingly, the Oujia board may just have been an American invention, to take advantage of the Spiritualist craze:

Quote:
Another oft-repeated, but misleading, claim is that Ouija, or talking boards, have ancient roots. In a typical example, Frank Gaynor’s 1953 Dictionary of Mysticism states that ancient boards of different shapes and sizes “were used in the sixth century before Christ.” In a wide range of books and articles, everyone from Pythagoras to the Mongols to the Ancient Egyptians is said to have possessed Ouija-like devices. But the claims rarely withstand scrutiny.

Chronicler-curator Orlando points out that the primary reference to Ouija existing in the pre-modern world appears in a passage from Lewis Spence’s 1920 Encyclopedia of Occultism – which is repeated in Nandor Fodor’s popular 1934 Encyclopedia of Psychic Science. The Fodor passage reads, in part: “As an invention it is very old. It was in use in the days of Pythagoras, about 540 B.C. According to a French historical account of the philosopher’s life, his sect held frequent séances or circles at which ‘a mystic table, moving on wheels, moved towards signs, which the philosopher and his pupil Philolaus, interpreted to the audience...’” It is, Orlando points out, “the one recurring quote found in almost every academic article on the Ouija board.” But the story presents two problems: The “French historical account” is never identified; and the Pythagorean scribe Philolaus lived not in Pythagoras’s time, but in the following century.

It is also worth keeping in mind that we know precious little today about Pythagoras and his school. No writings of Pythagoras survive, and the historical record depends upon later works – some of which were written centuries after his death. Hence, commentators on occult topics are sometimes tempted to project backwards onto Pythagoras all sorts of arcane practices, Ouija and modern numerology among them.

Still other writers – when they are not repeating claims like the one above – tend to misread ancient historical accounts and mistake other divinatory tools, such as pendulum dishes, for Ouija boards. Oracles were rich and varied from culture to culture – from Germanic runes to Greek Delphic rites – but the prevailing literature on oracular traditions supports no suggestion that talking boards, as we know them, were in use before the Spiritualist era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 & 6 yr. old girls like The Powerpuff Girls: Saving the World Before Bedtime,The Powerpuff Girls: Villains at Large Game, Carcassonne & Diamant. And with Christmas around the corner, I'm expecting to add a couple more. I also think our regular version of Scrabble will suit them just fine.

Just because mass marketing is shovelling this shit, doesn't mean we have to buy into it. I mean, my girls will get some girly stuff this Christmas, but I never want them to think that things like boardgames and paintball are just for boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |