Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Hi,
I'm just creeping into the wargaming scene through the joys of Combat Commander and I'm wondering where UK wargamers source their essentials. I'm after:
- Perspex to cover the CC maps and keep them flat.
- Counter trays to organise all the various unit types so I can setup quicker.
- How to rid the counters of their tatty corners? Clipping perhaps but with what?
- Anything else you consider useful or essential for ease of setup or play...

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My tip for the sheet of clear plastic to cover your maps is to go to your local art shop and buy a large, cheap clip together frame. Dismantle it and you'll have something very suitable.

I use grip top bags rather than counter trays. They're cheaply bought by the thousand from internet retailers. This thread should tell you all you need to know about counter clipping....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/407494/page/1

Now, can anyone point me in the direction of a quality dice tower from a UK supplier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with Andy, I got a cheap clip picture frame from Homebase, the perspex sheet was perfect for keeping maps flat. I'm a bagger too, and i got large bags from a pound shop - sealable freezer bags. I got smaller bags from my wife who ahem works in a Uni lab...

To hold the cards in Combat Commander I printed off some of the tuckboxes someone had added to the files section, on a colour laser. Then glued onto thicker paper, folded, and held in place with double sided tape. If i don't have boxes then i bag the cards, never use elastic bands.

Oh and a cold double sided sticky laminator is great for protecting play aids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Good call on the clip frames, however I'm fairly sure they're usually glass which I would break eventually. I've currently got the counters in baggies but I'd like to separate them by unit type not just country and if I were to do that with baggies it'd be just too fiddly.

Off to go read that counter clipping thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy perspex sheet at any DIY store. The only possible issue is that it tends to come in rather large sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Cheers Hammy,

That's what I was worried about. My opinion is that any games with huge maps are likely to take too long for my liking so a smaller piece would be preferable.

No suggestions for a source of counter trays yet then?

The thread on counter clipping convinced me to get the nail clippers out some time in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my perspex at a signmaker's. Probably more expensive, but cut to any size you like. I got 4 sheets at 2'x3' to cover my 4'x6' table - any bigger gets awkward to move around, as it is I usually only use 2 sheets.

And buy the bigger toenail clippers - small ones are painful after a few hundred counters. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Good call on the clip frames, however I'm fairly sure they're usually glass which I would break eventually.

Agreed, glass would not be good. You've just not been going downmarket enough in your frame buying.

I've discovered that Leisure Games sells Chessex counter trays, £2:50 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know for a fact that Spirit Games have counter trays, as I spotted them the other day. Not sure of prices.

Personally I use craft storage boxes from Hobbycraft. They do their own named range in various sizes - all with hinged lids. I think prices range from less than £1 to over £4. The only problem with the larger ones is that they're often too deep to fit in the game box (if that matters to you).

I just happen to have a few lying around as I've just used the largest one for housing my infantry, cavalry and artillery-meeples for Waterloo. Sizes are as follows:

9 x 17 x 3cm (15 compartments)
11 x 23 x 3cm (18 compartments)
18 x 27 x 4cm (18 compartments)
22 x 35 x 5cm (24 compartments) - the largest size

I think they do a couple of other sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought counter trays from Leisuregames in the past, though stock to the UK tends to be erratic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
As others have said, poster / clip frames are a good way to go. I bought a few from Athena (perspex not glass), even though they were a little pricey at £24. There must be other places that sell them though (and probably cheaper). The size I bought was approximately 92cm x 61cm and 1mm thick (24" x 36"). A standard 22" x 34" map fits in very nicely with about 2.5-3cm of space all the way around. Poster frames have the added advantage of being easy to move should you require your table for some other use.

If you want to buy a sheet of perspex, most decent sized DIY places stock it. I bought one sheet (61cm x 120cm / 24" x 47") from Homebase, which I think cost £14.99. I recommend getting a 2mm thick piece for the extra weight.

For counter trays I use the storage containers designed for nuts and bolts, etc. The ones I've found have movable dividers and can be securely fastened to avoid a big sorting out job when they're accidentally dropped on the floor. These can be bought at most DIY places.

For cutting away the corners of the counters use a nail clipper. If you want greater precision, cut the corner off the bottom part of a CD case to create a jig.

If you have a scanner, then I recommend scanning all of the play aids and printing them out on card. This is the best protection for play aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got a 3' sq sheet of plexiglas from Master Plastics (SW) Ltd
http://www.fascias.co.uk/index.html?target=dept_225.html&lan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a sheet of some perspex like glazing material at B&Q for £15 - it is just over 22" * 34" which seems to be the standard wargame map size.

It does seem to scratch easily though, but at least the game is safe. Storage is not so easy, getting a framed version would be easier in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:

Now, can anyone point me in the direction of a quality dice tower from a UK supplier?

http://www.terrascenic-online.co.uk/acatalog/Paint_Rack_and_...
Basic

http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/bling-my-board-8-c.asp
Pretty

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_ACCESSOR...
Basic and the same page has counter trays.

As with everything in the UK its never cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Good call on the clip frames, however I'm fairly sure they're usually glass which I would break eventually.

Nope I bought one the other month from an art shop which had some going cheap. Thin perspex (1mm I think), 100cm x 70cm, about 14 quid. Plexiglass is exactly the same material as perspex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
If you're after a cheap dice tower, try this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34099

Only pennies to replace if it breaks too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be buying some of those chessex counter trays and search out The Works and pound shops for some cheapo picture frames. Good plan on copying the player aids. I should easily find a printers nearby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
And thank you Michael for the links to dice towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buckle
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good source for counter trays in the UK is the chain of HobbyCraft stores. They sell plastic boxes similar to the Plano boxes that our American cousins are always using. The size I get are about 0.75p each (I used a load for Combat commander and Command and Colours Ancients).

Checkout this picture here for the type of boxes I'm taliking about :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/122926. They have 5 compartments that you can split into 3 with the supplied bits of plastic.

Bargain !

PS I'm also a regualr at Leuisuregames.com and they sell GMT style trays and also a dice tower, but having bought neither I cannot comment on the quality. I have bought the deck boxes from them though and they suffice if you can't be *rsed making tuckboxes.

Buks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.