Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Panzerblitz: Hill of Death» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ask your questions here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By suggestion, I have opened this discussion. I was the rules editor for HoD, so if I don't know the official answer right away, I have easy access to the designer to get it for you.

Please make sure to download the official errata/q&a. If that doesn't answer your qustion, I am happy to help. Lots of people are playing and enjoying HoD, and you can too
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
I will check in on this list as well.

Darrendevil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speak of the devil!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Emge
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Awful quiet in here
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note the questions posted elsewhere, after this thread was started
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes more sense in many ways to have a separate thread for each question. Not least, for those searching for an answer to a specific question, it's easier to browse for the right one (as long as the thread is titled correctly). In addition, the database will inform interested users every time a new thread is started, which is useful once the initial flood of questions abates.

There's certainly something to be said for having the Q&A collated somewhere, but that's best done in an organised document rather than an evolving thread (as has already been done).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is not a silly question, Lewis but how do you tell which level of hill are you on? Is there a color code like in ASL?gulp
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
I hope this is not a silly question, Lewis but how do you tell which level of hill are you on? Is there a color code like in ASL?gulp


Not a silly question, but it's more important to know what the 'difference' in level is between the two units, rather than the actual level number. So look for the number of color changes between the two units, and remember that the only time you have to go to the LOS chart is if the difference is more than one. If the attacker is on the same level or only one level higher, and the potential obstacle does block LOS, it blocks regardless of hexes distance between the two units.

Does that help?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much so! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hello Lewis, I agree with Chris on this one but that was probably already clear. A new topic per question is, for me, more easy to search and follow afterwards + allows you to have an overview of updated topics each new visit. I realize this can cause similar questions to be repeated if the topic is not put correctly but still.

P.S. I didn't ask permission but I hope you don't mind me copy/pasting some of the answers on CSW into the questions raised on this board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotun wrote:
Hello Lewis, I agree with Chris on this one but that was probably already clear. A new topic per question is, for me, more easy to search and follow afterwards + allows you to have an overview of updated topics each new visit. I realize this can cause similar questions to be repeated if the topic is not put correctly but still.

P.S. I didn't ask permission but I hope you don't mind me copy/pasting some of the answers on CSW into the questions raised on this board.


No problem, as long as tey're the right answers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Strauss
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
The differences in level are fine, but several of the scenarios (well, one for sure) refer to different hill levels for setup and victory conditions. I just got the game yesterday and have not had time to examine the map much, but it wasn't obvious to me how to deal with these.
Ethan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair question. When the scenario states set up on level x, just start at the darkest color (as 1) and count up. Also note that there are a couple of errata items where the wrong level was indicated. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions:

1. I've read the 2.0 ed of the rules and am not clear on placement of aircraft types when performing a DF against a target. In 16.3.2 'BD' type Aircraft are placed in the same hex as the target and thus receive the 0-range DRM of -2, but in all other cases, other Aircraft types, is the minimum range to the target 1 hex?

2. In HOD1, SN1 states that the Brits are allowed to enter as reinforcements and the Germans are allowed only to Op-fire. During turn 1 the Typhoon enters; is it allowed to perform an attack in turn 1?

TIA

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes.

2. SN1 says that the chit pool is not used on turn 1, therefore the Typhoon is not available to be used on Turn 1. All that happens on Turn 1 is British movement onto the map, and German Opportunity Fire. The setup is confusing in that regard - should have said Turn 2 on the Typhoon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three more questions:

1. Can an Artillery Request may be made by an FO against an unspotted unit(s)?

2. If so, when the IF is resolved does a +4 DRM get added to the attack roll?

3. Regardless of 2, is the "INDIRECT FIRE DRM" chart list all that is used for the DRM's relating to IF attacks?

TIA
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
recruit2112 wrote:
Three more questions:

1. Can an Artillery Request may be made by an FO against an unspotted unit(s)?


Yes. See 11.1.2(a) parenthetical at the end of the sentence. (I have marked that for clarification in the next ed. of the rules)

recruit2112 wrote:
2. If so, when the IF is resolved does a +4 DRM get added to the attack roll?


Yes.

recruit2112 wrote:
3. Regardless of 2, is the "INDIRECT FIRE DRM" chart list all that is used for the DRM's relating to IF attacks?


No, all applicable modifiers from Direct Fire are also used in IF (except the Smoke modifier, which is marked DF only). See first sentence of 11.3.2. Conversely, the IF vs. Infantry in Woods is IF only, but is also on the DF modifier chart.

I will mark that for clarification also.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
Just reading the Version 2 rules and in the Example given for "7.7 Two disrupted British Mechanized Infantry platoons, defense 14, are sitting in a woods hex..."

Where does the defense 14 come from? Surely 2 Brit Mechanised Inf would have a defense of 5 + 5 = 10, and then DRM's apply for Terrain and disruption?

The errata doesn't have this in either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlerbritain wrote:
Just reading the Version 2 rules and in the Example given for "7.7 Two disrupted British Mechanized Infantry platoons, defense 14, are sitting in a woods hex..."

Where does the defense 14 come from? Surely 2 Brit Mechanised Inf would have a defense of 5 + 5 = 10, and then DRM's apply for Terrain and disruption?

The errata doesn't have this in either.


It is an error. Change applied to the next version of the rules, which will be available in the upcoming East Front module, and no doubt available for download as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
OK - cheers Lewis

Thanks for the reply.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Stone
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke LOS clarification (Re: Ask your questions here!)
Referring to v1 and v2 rule sets:

In Section 5.3 Obstacles, 5.3.1 notes Smoke is an exception to "Combat units, game function markers, and artifical terrain markers" that do not block LOS, cf. 12.2.2 Smoke.

However, in Section 5.3.2 Obstacle Height, it appears to suggest that maybe "...counter contents (Smoke, etc.)..." adds only one (1) level to the terrain and LOS could be traced through the counter given that the correct distance and differential is observed.

This appears to be a contradiction. Is Smoke "an infinite vertical column" (in the abstract) per 12.2.2 or more simulationist per 5.3.2?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gefahrmaus wrote:
Referring to v1 and v2 rule sets:

In Section 5.3 Obstacles, 5.3.1 notes Smoke is an exception to "Combat units, game function markers, and artifical terrain markers" that do not block LOS, cf. 12.2.2 Smoke.

However, in Section 5.3.2 Obstacle Height, it appears to suggest that maybe "...counter contents (Smoke, etc.)..." adds only one (1) level to the terrain and LOS could be traced through the counter given that the correct distance and differential is observed.

This appears to be a contradiction. Is Smoke "an infinite vertical column" (in the abstract) per 12.2.2 or more simulationist per 5.3.2?


Just when we think it's done shake Yes, you found a contradiction. 12.2.2 is correct. I have eliminated the Smoke text in Section 5.

Thank you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.