United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Vassieux-en-Vercors: A very nice update to a solid scenario. Despite starting in a strong position, the French were massacred this battle. The German opened with an artillery barrage that eliminated a French unit before they even had a chance to move. The French quickly took control of the airfield and managed to hold it for a whole half turn before the Germans forced them back. The superior mobility of the Resistance forces did not help them much in this battle. A very late appearance of a Spitfire seemed to provide hope to the French, but this proved short lived when it was shot down in flames a couple of turns later. The Germans moved the remainder of their right forward to earn one more kill and take the final medal and claim victory.

Axis 4 - Allies 1

Vassieux-en-Vercors: The Germans again managed to eliminate a French unit on the first turn. Not a great start for the French, but they still fought valiantly through the battle. The bulk of fighting was again centered on the airfield. The Germans were not nearly so successful in their defense this time around and the French were able to rout the defenders and send them fleeing. However, the fragility of the French forces began to take its toll and the Germans were slowly able to pick off the weakened units to earn their victory. The French would have had a good shot at winning the game the following turn, but it would have been a very desperate push for a victory. As it was, the Germans only had two units really capable of fighting at the end of the game with a third trying to hide away from the Allied forces.

Axis 4 - Allies 3

Operation Cobra: The Allies were off to a great start when the Warhawk was shot down on the second turn. Hmm... now we have to fight Germans hiding in the hedges, not exactly the best of beginnings. The initial phase of the attack focused on the hedges near Saint-Gilles. The Germans took some hits early, but their elite Panzers moved in and tore through the Allied attackers before they themselves fell. After the disastrous attack, the Allies tried to take Hebecrevon, but were again turned aside when the Panzers entered the fray. The Panzers forced the Allies to retreat across the Vire River and hid in Le Grand Hamel and was unable to finish them off. The Germans near the Lozon River earned the final kill when they destroyed one of the more aggressive infantry units.

Axis 5 - Allies 2

Operation Cobra: Well, this time the Allied air patrol was much more effective: it lasted two turns before being shot down. Most of the fighting this time around took place on the flanks, around Hebecrevon on the left and the Lozon River on the right. The Allies sucked on both flanks as would be expected. The Germans were able to constantly deflect any attack and force them back. A late appearance by a second P40 earned two banners when it eliminated two weakened units before exiting the battlefield. At about this point, the Axis stalled out. High command kept sending incorrect orders and the units seemed to lose their fervor. However, their huge lead allowed them to take their time and set up a final kill to win the battle.

Axis 5 - Allies 2

Operation Spring: This was definitely a fun, interesting setup for a scenario. Allied high command initially focused on taking Tilly-la-Campagne, but were pushed back by the stalwart German defenders. They then focused on taking Saint-Martin-de-Fontenay and were again pushed back. In a last ditch attempt (down five medals to two), Allied commanders decided to try and take Verrieres. The battle was a huge bloodbath as the Allies tried to earn a few more medals so the loss did not appear so pathetic. Surprisingly, the Allies kept winning. They managed to hit more often than not, and slowly they tied the game. Frustrated, the Axis shifted to try and take out a unit for the win, but failed horribly and left a unit stranded. The Allies quickly capitalized and took the win. This was definitely the greatest comeback I have seen in this game.

Allies 6 - Axis 5

Operation Spring: This time the only conflict that occurred was around Verrieres. Both sides used all of their forces in the center and it was a fierce battle back and forth. The initial Allied air attack proved to be somewhat unsuccessful as it weakened the German artillery at Rocquancourt but could not eliminate them. Eventually the Allies were able to gain an upper hand and control the center. The Axis, feeling its grip slipping, made an extremely risky gamble in the center that surprisingly resulted in two medals. Just enough to claim victory over the Allied attackers.

Axis 6 - Allies 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of the solo variants did you use for these plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Hugin wrote:
Which of the solo variants did you use for these plays?

I play both sides as evenly as possible. I don't think it is too difficult considering how the game works. I prefer to play C&C:A solo, but I think Memoir works very well this way. It's fairly straightforward to pick what is the best order for the turn. The only thing that would throw it off is if you really, really want one side to win and start cheating a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.