Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi guys ,

Got some questions here as a newbie. We played the Simple Game.

1. The Development of Religion cards states that „if you have an unused worker” you can do something. Now what happens if i got two unused workers? Should it not state that „if you have at least one unused worker” ? I mean can i have more but still it only applies to one right?
2. Is there any hand limit in the game? Cause the Library of Alexandria states that i can have more cards in my hand rise by 1. I don’t get it… the rules don’t state that there should be any hand limit.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Collingham
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I agree
2) Your hand size limit is equal to the number of civil (white) actions of your government. Mostly this is 4, but some government cards change this to 3 or 5 (Hammurabi?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It applies to one. You can have more workers available, but you can only build a single temple.

2. Your hand limit is a number of cards equal to your civil actions. So everyone starts with a limit of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So then the RED Military Actions (2 at beginning) does not count for ze hand limit right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:
So then the RED Military Actions (2 at beginning) does not count for ze hand limit right?

Civil cards have a hard limit. You may never have more than the number of your white tokens at any time. Military cards are only limited by your red tokens during phase 4. At that point, you must discard extras. But you may (and will) have more at other times. Library of Alexandria increases both these limits by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Arvias wrote:

Hi guys ,

Got some questions here as a newbie. We played the Simple Game.

1. The Development of Religion cards states that „if you have an unused worker” you can do something. Now what happens if i got two unused workers? Should it not state that „if you have at least one unused worker” ? I mean can i have more but still it only applies to one right?

While the a/an indefinite article is singular, in idiomatic (American) English, a question with the indefinite article would be answered positively if you had any number of the item in question. To the question, "Do you have a quarter?" you would reply "yes" if you had 1, 2, or even 100 quarters. "Do you have one quarter?" would only get a yes if you had exactly 1. To be strictly semantic we would should ask "Do you have some (or any) quarters?" when we wished to know if they had anything > 0. IMO, the logic for this usage is shorthand for when I need ONE of something so I am checking to see if you have ANY.

So accounting for idiomatic usage, a player satisfies the "If you have an unused worker" condition if he has one or more unused workers.

On the flip side, the active portion of the text allowing the player to "build a temple" refers to only ONE temple.

That's my opinion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Toderas
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well not all of were born in America to know this much of the language. It's ok that it's states "a temple" but it does not hurt to ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Keijzers
Netherlands
Unspecified
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the The Development of Religion is played, can I get the temple also for free if I already have two temples built (while in despotism, having an urban building limit of 2) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You cannot have more urban buildings of any given type than your government allows and temples are urban buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Keijzers
Netherlands
Unspecified
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast reply :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.