Recommend
24 
 Thumb up
 Hide
148 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: RSPer of the Next Several Days #10: Wrayman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Well folks, my time in the spotlight was great -- thanks to everyone who participated or lurked -- but the time has come to pass the torch as we enter the double digits. So please give a warm welcome to our new RSPOTNSD, the 10th person to bear that honorable title, our very own Wrayman!

Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar


Best-known around these parts for his membership in and defense of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, he first came to my attention for his cool-headedness in engaging with people who were critical of the beliefs that shape his entire worldview. He strives to be soft-spoken, honest, and genuine in all his interactions here -- a sometimes tough task in the rough-and-tumble arena of RSP.

Much like how my thread largely became about veganism, I suspect this one will largely become about Mormonism -- but I'll break the perceived trend with my first set of questions:

1. You sport the Linux microbadge. What's your preferred distro? How long have you been using the OS? Is this the year of Linux on the desktop?
2. How long have you been married? How did you meet your wife?
3. Do you play bass or are you just a fan of it? Who are some of your favorite bassists?
4. Are you still in the USMC? When did you join? Ever serve in combat?
5. How old are your kids? Are any of them budding gamers?
6. Marymoor Park: great park, or the greatest park?
7. Is "frolf" an acceptable portmanteau of "frisbee golf," or should it never be used in public?

Congratulations, Wray!
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Wray, what are some books you've read that you disagree with? What did you think of them?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Here's one for you Wray-

What was your motivation for coming to the BOWELS of BGG and starting to post more frequently in the RSP?

Congrats!
Darilian
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wrayman.

How did you meet your wife? What caused you to marry her?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All disagreements aside, congrats.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice Kevin! someone from my clump.

Wrayman, Congrats!

Question: Do you have any hobbies you enjoy outside of games and church?



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
Can you please explain the difference between the FLDS, ELDS, & the LDS?

And RLDS... Did you ever look into that?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Traditional superheroes have been mocked for wearing their underwear on the outside of their uniform. Would a Mormon superhero have to wear their temple garments on the outside of their uniform? Does this explain the tragic lack of Mormon superheroes in the literature?

Do you feel that Mormons are discriminated against or persecuted to a meaningful degree? If so, what are some groups you feel receive roughly the same amount of discrimination/persecution as Mormons?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dysjunct wrote:

1. You sport the Linux microbadge. What's your preferred distro? How long have you been using the OS? Is this the year of Linux on the desktop?
2. How long have you been married? How did you meet your wife?
3. Do you play bass or are you just a fan of it? Who are some of your favorite bassists?
4. Are you still in the USMC? When did you join? Ever serve in combat?
5. How old are your kids? Are any of them budding gamers?
6. Marymoor Park: great park, or the greatest park?
7. Is "frolf" an acceptable portmanteau of "frisbee golf," or should it never be used in public?


This a little intimidating. Oh well. I have often said that in order to be successful in life, you have to be willing to appear an idiot. It's time to let my idiotic light so shine!

1. I prefer Redhat and its relations, specific CentOS and Fedora. They are the most likely to be in use in businesses I support and I have never found them lacking so I haven't looked elsewhere. I've been a user and advocate of Linux since 2000. These days I only use winders what I have to, which is a lot since I support small business networks. "The year of Linux on the desktop" is a stupid sensationalist notion that means nothing. Every year for the last 8 years has been the year of Linux on my desktop.

2. Nikki and I have been married since 1992. We were introduced by by her sister and a family friend of theirs that I went to high school with.

3. I do play bass. It is one of my great joys. I will post a link to a number that I recorded. I also play disc golf, fly kites (2 and 4 line stunt kites and power kites) and play games (of course).

4. I served on active duty from 1992 to 2000. I have not served at all in the reserves. I have never been in combat. Those years were an intense mixture of the best and worst moments in my life. I didn't mesh easily with Marine Corps culture and I am glad that I am not in it any longer.

5. I have 3 boys 14, 12 and 8. They are gamers for sure, although teir interest ebbs and flows. We host a weekly game night every Friday night. It has been pretty regular and successful.

6. Marymoor is ok. I fly my kites there. It has really gone yuppy lately. The whole area is. With Microsoft here, it is inevitable.

7. ahem.....yuk It is disc golf, thank you very much.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
quozl wrote:
Hey Wray, what are some books you've read that you disagree with? What did you think of them?

I don't read for leisure or recreation. It puts me to sleep. The reading that I do is pretty focused on things that I know I want to read. The pickings are slim in answer to your question. My wife and I read a book given to us by my Catholic mother in law. I disagreed with much of that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Do you get most of your games locally or online? Is Coyote Games still in Redmond?

Are you from Washington originally? Where else have you lived?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Darilian wrote:
Here's one for you Wray-

What was your motivation for coming to the BOWELS of BGG and starting to post more frequently in the RSP?

Congrats!
Darilian


I discovered BGG while looking for board game information. I loved it instantly and have contributed financially for several years, albeit modestly. (It is so inexpensive to earn the contributor distinction, I think everyone ought to consider it) Some time after that I discovered RSP. I was intrigued by the mix of humor and relatively respectful discourse. There are a few things I feel strongly about and I enjoy examining how people think and communicate. It was a pretty easy fit for me. My challenge is to prudently measure my time here. I am habitually lazy and this is a tremendous distraction from important things.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying or Invisibility?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Philip Thomas wrote:
Hi Wrayman.

How did you meet your wife? What caused you to marry her?

I already partially addressed this. What caused me to marry her? That is an interesting question. That was not a sure thing there for a while. Ultimately I was convinced of the correctness of the choice through prayer and contemplation. Since then it has been a deliberate act of will for us to learn to love each other. We have seen many marriages end and I have marveled at our relative success. I credit it to our mutual faith and values and our strict determination that we would choose to love each other whether we felt like it or not. It has worked beyond my imagination.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
whac3 wrote:
All disagreements aside, congrats.


Thank you very much. Please don't feel compelled to qualify your congratulations. We will all disagree about something. I would like to see humanity embrace that more and stop taking offense. There is no need for offense in disagreement.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
GAWD wrote:
Can you please explain the difference between the FLDS, ELDS, & the LDS?

http://deseretbook.com/store/product/5010946

I recommend the linked book. It is a good brief summary. I cannot speak specifically about any church except for the LDS church. My best answer is that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church of Jesus Christ on earth and the others are not.
GAWD wrote:
Why do you think the LDS has grown as large as it has in such a relatively short amount of time?

Because it is the restored church of Jesus Christ on earth. It naturally would.
GAWD wrote:
What do you think about the fact that there isn't a single scholar, outside of Mormon scholars, that can/have verified any of the archeological evidence at the heart of the truth claims of Mormonism (i.e.: reformed Egyptian, the gold plates, pre-Columbian Jewish tribes in America, etc ... )?
That is not so clear. Proofs are tricky and often distract and mislead. There is no clear archeological evidence for or against the veracity of the Book of Mormon. That evidence will come in time. I don't worry about it. There is more intriguing evidence of the validity of the Book of Mormon that you might think however.

GAWD wrote:
Why were there no Mormons to greet the European explorers and settlers?

If you were familiar with the Book of Mormon, you would not ask that. The most literal answer to your question is that Mormons did not exist until the 19th century. That implies other questions which I will leave alone for now.
GAWD wrote:
Can you please explain the Mormon obsession w/genealogy and what it has to do w/Mormon theology?

That is multifaceted and defies an easy answer. I will refer you to the bible:
Malachi Chapter 4 wrote:
1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
2 ¶ But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.
4 ¶ Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.
5 ¶ Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.


GAWD wrote:
How many times have you been high? been drunk?


Never and never. If I never try it, I'll never miss it. Knowledge is power. Sometimes knowledge is power to destroy. No fleeting pleasure is worth the risk to those I love.


I welcome the input of other Mormons. My insight and knowledge is not entirely up to the task of properly representing the most basic and fundamental truths in all of creation.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
ironcates wrote:
Great choice Kevin! someone from my clump.

Wrayman, Congrats!

Question: Do you have any hobbies you enjoy outside of games and church?




I trust I answered that already. Let me know if I haven't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
ironcates wrote:
GAWD wrote:
Can you please explain the difference between the FLDS, ELDS, & the LDS?

And RLDS... Did you ever look into that?


Ditto my answer to GAWD.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

1. What doctrines, if any, of your church do you or have you in the past, disagreed with? I recall Mitt Romney talking about how he cried tears of joy when the Mormon church reversed its policies of racial discrimination, for example.

2. Have you gotten a chance to play Battleground yet?

3. What does sexual orientation mean to you? From various threads in the past I think you and I disagree on this, but I'd like to hear your thoughts directly rather than infer them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dysjunct wrote:
Traditional superheroes have been mocked for wearing their underwear on the outside of their uniform. Would a Mormon superhero have to wear their temple garments on the outside of their uniform? Does this explain the tragic lack of Mormon superheroes in the literature?

Do you feel that Mormons are discriminated against or persecuted to a meaningful degree? If so, what are some groups you feel receive roughly the same amount of discrimination/persecution as Mormons?


Any speculation here is meaningless so feel free to disregard anything I say in answer to your question.

I'll ignore the first question since it is silly. Not that I mind silly. I don't. I am pretty sure I am the silliest person my wife knows.

Your second question is wide open to interpretation. We are not persecuted now like we were in the 19th century. So no, I don't think we are particularly persecuted. Relative to today however, we are a lightning rod of controversy because of matters such as same sex marriage. So yes, I do think we are persecuted. There are other groups of people in the world that are being systematically killed. So no, I don't think we are particularly persecuted. Our peculiarly inflexible claim of Godly authority is abrasive to many peoples sensibilities. So yes, I do think we are persecuted. It all depends on how you slice it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever met Tom Cruise?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dysjunct wrote:
Do you get most of your games locally or online? Is Coyote Games still in Redmond?

Are you from Washington originally? Where else have you lived?


I buy online mostly. I don't like paying full retail for games. Take my word, they are expensive! I don't buy much these days. I have a large number of unplayed games and I don't really need more.

I don't know about Coyote games.

I was born in Bellevue WA. We moved to Redmond WA when I was 8. I moved away when I joined the Corps. I lived in San Diego, Iwakuni Japan and Jacksonville NC. My dad died the very day I started my terminal leave from the Corps. I returned home to support my mother and we have been in a three generation house ever since.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
echoota wrote:
Flying or Invisibility?


Flying. It is more practical. Invisibility would only serve my interests.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
GAWD wrote:
What do you think about the fact that there isn't a single scholar, outside of Mormon scholars, that can/have verified any of the archeological evidence at the heart of the truth claims of Mormonism (i.e.: reformed Egyptian, the gold plates, pre-Columbian Jewish tribes in America, etc ... )?
That is not so clear. Proofs are tricky and often distract and mislead. There is no clear archeological evidence for or against the veracity of the Book of Mormon. That evidence will come in time. I don't worry about it. There is more intriguing evidence of the validity of the Book of Mormon that you might think however.


I didn't want to butt in but since Wrayman said he'd welcome input, I thought I'd just mention a couple of things.

I've done a lot of reading on the historicity of the Book of Mormon about the evidence for and against it. Most of the evidence against it comes from a lack of evidence, there are a few things that can't be proven to have actually happened based on the evidence we now have. There really isn't anything disproving at this point although there are a couple of strawmen arguments against the book also such as DNA and such. There are also quite a few very fascinating evidences that hold up to validity of the Book as well.

Most non-mormon scholars don't even touch the evidences for it and mostly focus on the evidences against it. I think that the very nature of how the book came to be (an angel gave it to a farm boy) makes it so that almost all if not all non-believing scholars will have a hard time taking seriously anything that would support the claim of its historicity. Most start with the idea that it is obviously not historical and go from there mostly ignoring anything that would support an angel actually giving someone a book. Terryl Givens wrote a book on this called By the Hand of Mormon and asks the question as to why scholars refuse to take the book seriously and don't really put any thought into its historicity because of its origin. Most just dismiss it out of hand and use some of the evidence against (or really lack of evidence) and won't even look or take seriously the myriad of evidences that Mormon scholars have uncovered.

I think the very nature of the book and its origin make it impossible to be unbiased towards it. You either believe that an angel brought the book forth or you think its obviously a sham. Therefore it would be almost impossible to do an unbiased study of it.

In any case GAWD I would recommend you study it out for yourself.

Quote:
GAWD wrote:
Why were there no Mormons to greet the European explorers and settlers?

If you were familiar with the Book of Mormon, you would not ask that. The most literal answer to your question is that Mormons did not exist until the 19th century. That implies other questions which I will leave alone for now.
The book states that all those who were believers were wiped out around 400 AD, but Wray is right in that we weren't actually called Mormons until the 19th century.


Anyway sorry to butt in Wray, back to your RSP of the week and congrats.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Did you go on a mission? If so, where?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.