Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I got to play Deeper Into Castile last night with my fourteen year old son. I got to be the dwarves, which I like because they are bold and always get to battle-back. He got to be the goblins, which he likes because they ride on lizards.

We're both eager to get to the scenarios with creatures and lore, but I wanted to do one more basic scenario first. There's a lot to train yourself to remember, between advancing after combat and battle-back and so on.

The battle unfolded to my liking. I didn't want to move my dwarves off the hill in the center, so I brought up the humans on the flanks but tried to stay three spaces away when I couldn't get into terrain. He brought his troops forward, sacrificing their boldness for first strikes. My dwarves fought down from the hills, my humans fought out of trees. He was able to retreat a couple of single-figure units to save the flags, but I was not. In the end the crossbows I was so much looking forward to did little damage, but I squeaked out a 6-5 win mostly on the strength of the dwarves' courage.

Curiously, he had killed 28 figures to my 21, even though I won. He had remarked that I outnumbered him at the start of the game, but I'm not sure that's an advantage in BattleLore - the cards only let you move so many units, and the others are just targets, right?

One thing we may try to implement: BattleLore has a large luck element. Large enough, my opinion, that you can rely on the die rolls and card draws canceling out. But it always seems like you're having terrible luck. I want to put together a record sheet whereby you can keep track of good and bad rolls/draws over the course of the game, so you can compare your subjective viewpoint to objective data. I think it's fun to see how much the thrill of the game distorts your view.

This afternoon we're going to advance to a lore scenario!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsk, tsk, taking the strong side against your son in a unbalanced scenario 'adventure'. The base game goblins are just easy victory banners. The only task is to run em down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the luck, I was wondering how I could reduce the luck. I was hoping that the lore scenarios or the expansions would reduce the luck a little. I still haven't figured it out yet, because I'm just as far as you are with the scenarios, but I did start a topic about it.

Anyway, nice session report! Keep them coming, I will keep reading them! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
About the luck, I was wondering how I could reduce the luck. I was hoping that the lore scenarios or the expansions would reduce the luck a little.

The first six times I played my fifteen year old son in Battlelore he beat me. It was always close but he would always get lucky roles and mine would be terrible. So I decided to build a dice tower to see if that would help. Following is a picture of the results modeled by my little girl.

Since we started using this tower I have beat him seven times and he has only beat me once. How does a dice tower even up the luck? Heck if I know...but I did do a vodoo dance around it before we started using it. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Curiously, he had killed 28 figures to my 21, even though I won. He had remarked that I outnumbered him at the start of the game, but I'm not sure that's an advantage in BattleLore - the cards only let you move so many units, and the others are just targets, right?

Actually, increased numbers is very much an advantage in BL (as with other C&C games as well). Your first sentence in that paragraph illustrates this advantage nicely.

Ultimately BL is not about removing more figures from the board, but removing more units. If one has more units available, one can cycle back those of lesser morale and still continue the battle with a similar offensive strength, while the side with the lower number of units will at some point have to make a decision between sacrificing attacks or risking banners lost.

Typically this is the trade off between Dwarf and Goblin battles - however in this particular adventure, the Dwarves have all of the advantages: numbers, command, and bold morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14cross wrote:

The first six times I played my fifteen year old son in Battlelore he beat me. It was always close but he would always get lucky roles and mine would be terrible. So I decided to build a dice tower to see if that would help. Following is a picture of the results modeled by my little girl.

[...]

Since we started using this tower I have beat him seven times and he has only beat me once. How does a dice tower even up the luck? Heck if I know...but I did do a vodoo dance around it before we started using it. :devil:

I don't want to spoil your pride, but assuming your BL skills and that of your son are equal, the luck perfectly influenced the results, namely:

Number of your son's victories: 7
Number of your victories: 7

Flattened out perfectly! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.