Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job David! I have been waiting for this gem to be released ever since I had to cut myself from the playtest team.
You explinations are a great read and spot on for the system!!! Look forward to more posts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, cheers for the extensive read. Though i wanted to buy it after the first picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I read the more I wanted it!

Nice mechanics thumbsup.

Good "black"maps. The initial white were too bright for the eye.

What would be the icons for the soldiers? Top down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hiatt
United States
OFallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what a rousing read. You made me want to impulse buy this right now. However I have a half a years wait.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a final version of the map? If so, I have to say that it isn't very satisfying to look at.

Also, are all the maps just this size ?

Can they be pieced together or used in series - i.e., move off one map to the next one?

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Silverleaf wrote:
Is this a final version of the map?

Very close, yes. But remember that it will look different on paper.

Quote:
If so, I have to say that it isn't very satisfying to look at.

How so? I find it extremely satisfying, so I'm wondering what you don't like.

Quote:
Also, are all the maps just this size ?

No, these are only portions of the maps

Quote:
Can they be pieced together or used in series - i.e., move off one map to the next one?

Absolutely. Some scenarios setup up with two or even three maps, and you are entirely free to use all of them in a scenario if you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
so I'm wondering what you don't like.

Okay, you asked.

I'm very disappointed that every tree looks exactly the same, with just very slight variances in coloration. Case in point is that every tree on the 6 maps available in the image gallery here all have the same issue.

In the real world, even if your in a pine tree forest, there are varying shades of greens, browns, blues and on occasion whites. If portraying different types of groups of trees - say all "maple" or "oak", etc. you will see variances in color through the red, orange, yellow and green spectrum due to nature.

The only exception to this is with the black maple trees, wherein 5 fully mature trees of this genre can look identical from above, due to lack of coloration variances - BUT this is a rarity.

Take a walk through a forest/grouping of trees that had been growing for 20 years.

What you will find is the taller trees are in the center - they having the largest canopies and soaking up the light source so that smaller trees i.e., saplings have a tiny chance of living long enough to garner a full and healthy root system.

As you progress outwardly from the center, the canopy of trees decreases proportionally in height and in diameter.

I realize this is only a map created to cover the combat portrayed in your game and not "real life", but if the artist wishes to convey a natural setting which has proper shadows (and this does), a little more time spent on the color and size variance of the trees portrayed herein will make the maps that more visually appealing to the consumer.

Please don't think that I'm simply bashing your game out of spite or because I don't like what I see game-mechanics wise.

What you have shown here has piqued my interest because it covers man-to-man combat, albeit against a person in FtF settings (I much prefer solitaire), but I remain hopeful that this system lives up to the billing that is is receiving.

With respect,

R.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverleaf wrote:
Quote:
so I'm wondering what you don't like.

Okay, you asked.

I'm very disappointed that every tree looks exactly the same, with just very slight variances in coloration. Case in point is that every tree on the 6 maps available in the image gallery here all have the same issue.

In the real world, even if your in a pine tree forest, there are varying shades of greens, browns, blues and on occasion whites. If portraying different types of groups of trees - say all "maple" or "oak", etc. you will see variances in color through the red, orange, yellow and green spectrum due to nature.

The only exception to this is with the black maple trees, wherein 5 fully mature trees of this genre can look identical from above, due to lack of coloration variances - BUT this is a rarity.

Take a walk through a forest/grouping of trees that had been growing for 20 years.

What you will find is the taller trees are in the center - they having the largest canopies and soaking up the light source so that smaller trees i.e., saplings have a tiny chance of living long enough to garner a full and healthy root system.

As you progress outwardly from the center, the canopy of trees decreases proportionally in height and in diameter.

I realize this is only a map created to cover the combat portrayed in your game and not "real life", but if the artist wishes to convey a natural setting which has proper shadows (and this does), a little more time spent on the color and size variance of the trees portrayed herein will make the maps that more visually appealing to the consumer.

R.S.

I'm in the same boat here.....the first time I saw the trees on these maps I almost vomited with rage.

AND I take offense to the unfortunate use of the word "Johnson" in this game as a proper noun.

Clean up your act gentlemen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fantastic AAR this game looks fantastic! Minus some shrubbery problems....I hope we can all get by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this AAR, clearly lining out the system and game play, but still with a strong narrative and very tense (I was disappointed that it ended at the end of first turn ).

interesting, really interesting! And nice graphics to, although I would prefer to see full HEX edges in stead of only the corner markers (that's a personal comment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.