Subject: Two crazy games with Mikey McGlen. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm currently working through the season 2 league scenarios and am on the 3rd chapter. I've had two amusing games, mostly focused on some craziness with McGlen, the Gangster.

I've taken to given him the Calvin Ally which makes him a pretty powerful character who reduces all stamina and sanity damage by one, coupled with his high sneak/move and gets around nicely too.

Now I don't have any notes so this will be a brief summary of the craziness that happened in the first game. The two other investigators I ran were Rita Young and Jenny Barnes.

Things started off as typical. The monsters who popped out weren't incredibly frightening yet, Jenny was having a bad time of being constantly stalked by a set-up phase Hound of Tindalos, that immediately moved to her location before the first turn.

Then of course, third turn comes about and boom, Terrible Experiment begins. 3 of the first five monsters are the Flying Polyp, Colour out of Space and a Cthonian I believe. Needless to say, I groan a bit as there is no concievable way I'm getting rid of such powerful monsters which means keeping the numbers on that rumour in check throughout the game.

This plan actually goes pretty well as with a Tommy Gun in hand, McGlen is able to face down many of the other monsters on it. Of course, this leaves him in the streets when two Mi-go's swarm to his location. Which is a luxury cause McGlen got two awesome items. The Magical Spear and a handless +2 combat rating item. (forgot the name).

However, the terrible experiment continues to grow as more and more monsters with difficult horror ratings plus 4 sanity damage stack up on it and I don't want to risk losing McGlen lousy will roll. (I tried to relieve him of his duty but poor Jenny was tied up with monsters of her own which she could barely escape cause of her curse she got from a mythos phase earlier. Also Rita picked up Double Vision so her gate sealing abilities came to a halt.)

So it's at this point that McGlen decides to go screw it, he's sitting on a huge catch of decent magical items and something like 10 monster trophies. So I decide to abandon the experiment and get McGlen blessed. The Terrible experiment overruns, and because there are 14 creatures in Arkham, Shub immediately awakens and the fight is on.

Rita and Jenny remain completely useless in this fight, though they both had a few trophies. Neither of them have the magical weapons and their spells can only go for so long.

So it was down to McGlen, with no clues to take on Shub himself with magical spear in hand. Along with Calvin, he sneak was at like 5 as well so he should be able to resist Shub's attacks for a while right?

Well, turns out I was wrong... considering McGlen failed the 4, 3, 2 and 1 die roll and lost 4 of his trophies early. Couple this with rolling horribly on damage, and losing the blessing in like round 2, Shub was gaining the upperhand. However, McGlen still had a lot of trophies and the fight was going down to the wire when finally, having lost his last trophy, McGlen needs to do one doom token (3 successes needed) worth of damage.

Five dice in hand, roll... 6,5, 2, 1, 1. McGlen is devoured with Shub at one HP.

A very demoralizing loss, especially when I think about all the non-successes I wracked up on previous rolls. I think Jenny and Rita got a combined 4 dice before they were devoured and never got a single success.

So of course I immediately try again. Rotating out Rita for Jim Culver and his undead stomping power. This game goes a lot more quickly as I decided to give everyone 2 corruption cards for the 6 clues in the bank. McGlen gets the plus sign corruption card that makes him draw two every time its activated... and its activated on the first mythos phase. Which does he get? The other colored plus sign.

Throw in like 5 plus sign mythos cards in a row before Ryleh gate even appears and McGlen is sitting on something like 16 corruption cards. Including one of the red plus signs which give an extra corruption card to everyone who already has one.

By the time I get rid of these corruption cards and stabilize a bit, Shub is at like 10 doom tokens, with "Stars are Right" in play and the doom token adder corruption card. It wasn't long till Shub woke up and quickly devoured everyone... McGlen put up the valiant effort with his one die attack. But just wasn't going to happen, he was still clearly to upset about his previous defeat to put up much a fight in this one.

Also one note: that second game was the first time I used Milk of Shub-Niggurath to good effect. Culver sacrificed himself to pull 2 dark young and a spectral hunter off 2 gates which Jenny preceded to close.

After one shotting the first two scenarios this 3rd one is continuing to be tough. There's always the next game though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
{q}By the time I get rid of these corruption cards . . .{/q}

Is this a special rule for the scenarios or in one of the expansions?
I didn't know you could get rid of corruption.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
{q}By the time I get rid of these corruption cards . . .{/q}

Is this a special rule for the scenarios or in one of the expansions?
I didn't know you could get rid of corruption.

Brian

Closing a gate with the appropriate symbol gets rid of corruption card(s) with that symbol (so same as monsters returned to cup). BGotW rules, fitting as that expansion gave us the corruption cards to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the above said. Even though I got rid of them though, more than enough damage was done.

3rd game did go better though. Solved the rumor that everyone gets an Unique Item. McGlen got a Fetch stick and a blessing. Poor Shub never had a chance that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.