Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Not Replacing Devoured Investigators...What Do You Think? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Cooper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
In a previous thread, I mentioned that we house rule that you can't retire an investigator...thus making Injury/Madness cards much more prohibitive.

Another house rule that we tend to enjoy is that you don't replace devoured investigators.
Keep in mind that I play solo with four investigators or with two players each playing two investigators. That way, if one of your investigators are devoured, you still have another or more to continue with.

The certain creatures and encounters that have a chance to devour you are extremely dangerous. We'll run around and from any creature that has the chance to do so...while screaming at the top of our lungs. cry
It definitely makes Nyarlathotep with his devouring Masks a little more fearsome.

As for the final fight, we play that you still need the same amount of successes as the original number of investigators you started the game with. If you started the game with four investigators, and one or more of them are devoured during the course of the game, you'd still need four successes for each doom token removed from the GOO during the final fight.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd share the idea with y'all and see if you'd like to give it a try. From my own experience, once you do...it's hard to go back. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it working out. I tend to avoid devouring things like the plague anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Sounds very thematic. I'd actually be interested in trying this if you WERE playing as a group - because this would then be player elimination.
It would add a great dimension to the game to see who has the balls to step up and risk taking a hit for the team.

Agreed. It would be fun to see how willing people would be to make a deal with the Black Man or take on a Moon Beast if there's a more serious consequence for failure, and it would be great to see investigators scramble to complete 1000 Young or avoid The Tattered King.

My one bit of hesitation comes from the occassional unavoidable devourings. I've had Wendy run into Cthulhu turn 1 and seen other investigators devoured turn 1 by appearing Shan. In most player elimination games there's not a risk of being eliminated by sheer luck 2 minutes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems a pretty bad idea. If the game was shorter I would do it but as is it would leave a lot of people sitting around twiddling thumbs, especially since you can get devoured randomly, even on the first turn. Plus, it pretty much guarantees a loss to eliminate Investigators but keep the various conditions the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Seems a pretty bad idea. If the game was shorter I would do it but as is it would leave a lot of people sitting around twiddling thumbs, especially since you can get devoured randomly, even on the first turn. Plus, it pretty much guarantees a loss to eliminate Investigators but keep the various conditions the same.

I agree. Only for really hardcore groups would this rule make sense. If you want to send more casual players away from your group, then institute this rule.

However, OP is playing by himself and in that case, its very thematic, especially when its in addition to the non retirement rule he inflicts upon himself.

The Harsher the Better.

In over 200 games I've only been devoured 7 times. However, once it happened 3 times in a game. Yog, of course. Had this rule been in effect, it could've only happened once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea if playing with multiple investigators per player. However, I'd easy up on the final battle a bit. I'm currently testing out a 6 player game, but if it comes to the final battle, I'm saying it takes 4 hits per doom token. This way it's not variable, so purposely killing off weaker investigators doesn't become a good thing, but at the same time it's not locked in so hard as to make the fight virtually impossible.

My reasoning: It's unlikely that everyone will be able to contribute their fair share of damage in the final battle, especially if they are already dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.