Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orcanthropy
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[This very well could have been covered in other threads by now but I haven't seen any recently so I will start a new one.]

Having played this game many times by now, we as a group have come to the conclusion that the cylons tend to win nearly every game (roughly about 90% of our games). As humans we are definitely getting better, but we've still yet to develop any lasting strategy to counter the numerous different strategies that the cylons have to throw at us.

I'll keep this short, but basically I'm just curious to find out what other players have to say on this issue. I'm not necessarily looking for advice on more strategies (cause figuring out those is the fun part), but rather I just wanted to hear your opinion as to if the game is as well balanced as it should be. If you'd like, I'd love to hear some modding techniques used to help balance the game more.
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the humans win more often than not. I don't know why, since this is clearly not the norm for BSG groups as a whole; we've played a lot of games, with various players as Cylons, and it's still around 50-50 or better for the humans. It might be luck of the draw and a fixation on crisis management (scouting, Roslin, and Boomer - in my group, Boomer is viewed as a very powerful character for her crisis management and scouting tendencies). If the humans can avoid getting hammered by the destiny deck, then the Cylons are on their own to manufacture serious crises. They can cause problems, but they need the deck to help out and hit the humans during a serious situation in order to really bring Galactica crashing down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Corbeau: seems like humans win about 3/4 of the time in our group. I will say that I think we tend to keep our Cylons hidden longer than other groups, however, and also be a lot more involved in group problem solving, since we're pretty heavy co-op players in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer has stated that the game was built so that the Cylons had a slight advantage, to keep the pressure on the humans (as it is in the show).

90% sounds a bit much, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that the more experienced at the game the group gets, the better the humans become. Our early games normally always led to Cylon victories, but since the humans have started making more use of scouting, investigative committees, and executive orders we have seen the shift go the other way. Also because players have their favourite characters (I normally try for adama or starbuck), they get better at knowing when to use their once a game abilities, and remembering to use the positive ability all the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edgar
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
9 games in our group is 5 human to 4 cylon - mainly playing 6 and 7 handed. 7 of the games have been very, very close. We would probably be 6:3 if we didn't have 2 human players spiking the skill checks in the first game because they really wanted to be cylons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, either we're really crappy humans or really good Cylons. I've never had a Human win at this game (although Saturday it was down to Helo rolling on Population loss with Strategic Planning on both the roll and reroll, and after rolling gangbusters all night... failing). If we've had really bad luck it'll be quick and merciful as the Cylons and destiny have their ways with us, but otherwise it tends to be a tight game that we just never quite manage: the closest times were foiled by a) unrevealed Chief gets Exec Ordered to make the final jump home and Reveals, b) unrevealed Helo reverses the President Chooses decision between "you lose" and "you don't lose yet", and c) the aforementioned roll with two revealed Cylons hammering on us. When it's close it's pretty epic, so even though we have yet to have a human win the games themselves have been immensely satisfying gaming experiences. It feels right to be hard to win for the humans and we've always gotten so tantalizingly close that I think the balance is pretty good.

Though I suspect that if I do ever win as a human I may want to rest on my laurels for a while before playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artie Heinrich
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played four times sofar, but the Cylons NEVER did win.

Two games were with only 4 players and I have the feeling, that it is very hard for the Cylons to win here. The Sympathizer can almost always be turned (voluntarily let one resource go into red) and the one remaining Cylon does not really have a good choice. Either he reveals, making it possible for the humans to play perfectly cooperating. Or he stays hidden, which means the Cylon location special abilities never get used.

The other two games were with 6 players and here it was harder, but still it did never feel as if the Cylons have the advantage.

I do think that our group has to learn to play the Cylons "better", which is not so easy, as we normally have at least two newbies per game and only one of the experienced players has played the Cylons more than once, so no chance to "learn" their strategies.

I must admit that in one or two of the games the Humans won with only 1 unit of a resource left, but still we never were in any real danger, as this situation only developed in the very last round.

I really hope I will be a Cylon one day as I want to try out some ideas *evilgrin*.

Best wishes,

Artie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing... if you notice your games games favor one way or another, then you can handicap that side by starting off with increasing or decreasing all of each resource type by one. Things should equalize themselves when folks become more familiar with the game.

In some games 8 civvies get killed. In other games, all the wrong morale cards come out, and even worse is if the president or admiral is a cylon and will choose the worse of the two options for those crisis cards, and perhaps even spin it off as something good.

Other times, humans have clear sailing. No good cards and/or newbies not really sure how to go about wreaking havoc for humans are all to blame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guise Knights
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has never won as the humans, and we've reset the dials to the pro-human setting. However, I've learned that we we are doing a few things wrong - adding the destiny deck cards last instead of first in a check, and allowing the sympathizer to activate the Cylon fleet location. The former really nerfs the "Investigative Committee" for the humans, as the humans still have to account for fate spiking the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GuiseKnights wrote:
Our group has never won as the humans, and we've reset the dials to the pro-human setting. However, I've learned that we we are doing a few things wrong - adding the destiny deck cards last instead of first in a check, and allowing the sympathizer to activate the Cylon fleet location. The former really nerfs the "Investigative Committee" for the humans, as the humans still have to account for fate spiking the check.

You might want to reset those dials, if you have only just spotted the mistake with the IC. That would really make a big difference to the human chances.

That said, my group had our first human win last night, many of the past games have been very close, but this really was a stroll for the humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Anderson
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main factor on who wins the game, is, if both cylons are in from the start, or not.

In 4/5 games with 2 cylons from the start the cylons won, and in 4/4 with no cylons from the start, the humans won (5 and 6Player-no-sympathizer-rules). Only the games with 1 cylon in the beginning seem to be tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I have only played the solo variant so far, but the Human race is 0-2 so far. I lose one of the dials (Morale or Population), Then I check how many more crisis cards I needed to win, I think it was seven both times. Pretty close, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.