Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Maybe I'm not saying it correctly, as I haven't sold in years. I do however buy a lot of games and toys on EBay. On a couple of occasions I've gotten notes from my sellers asking me to rate them solid 5s on the 4 areas of feedback:

How accurate was the description of the item?
How was communication with the seller?
How quickly did the seller ship the item?
Were the shipping and handling charges reasonable?

I can understand wanting the best ratings. We all want to be rated highly. While the sellers have been cordial enough, the comments they make puzzled me. One wrote:

"Any rating less than a 5 is of no use to us".

and another

"Due to the new EBay feedback procedures, we qualify for discounts that we pass on to our customers. Please give us positive feedback, AND score the DSR ratings 5 stars so we can pass on the savings to you".

Does EBay's policies tie feedback to some sort of incentive to the sellers, wherein ratings determine some type of discount or positive reinforcement they receive?

Any constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Respectfully

Falloutfan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is a thread somewhere here that explains this. If I remember correctly, there was something about having an average feedback rating of 4 or less would prevent people from selling. It seemed like a way for ebay to lose some business. I didn't really understand the reasoning behind it, but with the extra fees and everything, they seem to be trying to destroy themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Orph wrote:
I know there is a thread somewhere here that explains this. If I remember correctly, there was something about having an average feedback rating of 4 or less would prevent people from selling. It seemed like a way for ebay to lose some business. I didn't really understand the reasoning behind it, but with the extra fees and everything, they seem to be trying to destroy themselves.

That does sound familiar.

I did a search for E-Bay, and found 50 pages in the forums.

YIKES!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it has to do with eBay's Power Seller program.

From eBay:

Quote:
To qualify for the PowerSeller program, sellers must consistently sell a significant volume of items, maintain a 98% positive Feedback rating and provide a high level of service to their buyers.

Sellers get some special rewards, including the ability to earn seller discounts. Whether or not that is actually passed on to the buyer is another story....

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
natsean wrote:
I'm pretty sure it has to do with eBay's Power Seller program.

From eBay:

Quote:
To qualify for the PowerSeller program, sellers must consistently sell a significant volume of items, maintain a 98% positive Feedback rating and provide a high level of service to their buyers.

Sellers get some special rewards, including the ability to earn seller discounts. Whether or not that is actually passed on to the buyer is another story....

Kevin

That makes sense.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
White Dragon Enterprises
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more than that. If you sell on eBay and any of your stars fall below 4.1, you will not be allowed to sell and it can even get you kicked off the site. Powerseller status does not even happen until your 1-year and 30-day averages are above 4.5. eBay gives discounts above those numbers but because of the system, it's very difficult to achieve. eBay is only really interested in large volume sellers and has setup the system in their favor. So giving a seller anything less than a 5 has real consequences on not just discounts but the ability to sell on eBay. Too bad, the small sellers are how they achieved so much success.

W. Rogers Abbott III
White Dragon Enterprises, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So giving a seller anything less than a 5 has real consequences on not just discounts but the ability to sell on eBay. Too bad, the small sellers are how they achieved so much success.

I'm not sure it is just the large volume they are looking for (although that certainly is a boon to their lagging bottom line), but rather stable sellers a customer can trust.

I've been following the eBay vs. Craigslist affair. Each article I read mentions two things from eBay PR: After the losses in 2008, eBay redid its seller fee structure in an effort to pull in those sellers that left in the wake of earlier fee increases. They really want as many sellers as they can get here in the States.

Qualifying this is the second point that fraud seems to the one hurdle eBay can't get over with skittish consumers. All it takes is one anecdote about not getting your item posted on the web or told in the pub and eBay loses several potential customers. The draconian feedback system is designed to cut out as much seller fraud as possible.

If you are a Power Seller, you probably derive a decent amount of revenue from eBay, so you don’t want to get expelled…you will toe the line and pay close attention to your feedback. If you are a small seller and decide to pull some shenanigans, eBay can boot you to satisfy buyers without a serious loss to its bottom line.

While it is true that the system gives buyers some power, from a corporate standpoint, this makes more sense than giving sellers the power. A buyer’s interaction with eBay is usually an ancillary activity…they don’t spend all day on there and are unlikely to want to add drama to their lives by falsely accusing sellers of misconduct. (“Blackmailing” sellers is a violation of policy and can get the buyer banned.)

I can tell you from experience that the opposite isn’t true. A few years ago, I had issues with sellers and their basic attitude was, “We deal with eBay all day…we have all the time in the world to screw you.” Now, that attitude will get them banned.

One’s attitude towards eBay, I think, is largely determined by the side of the fence one sits on. As a buyer, I couldn’t stand it a few years ago. Now I don’t mind it so much, although it is harder to find a bargain now. I would imagine sellers aren’t too happy now, though.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
wdragon3 wrote:
It's more than that. If you sell on eBay and any of your stars fall below 4.1, you will not be allowed to sell and it can even get you kicked off the site. Powerseller status does not even happen until your 1-year and 30-day averages are above 4.5. eBay gives discounts above those numbers but because of the system, it's very difficult to achieve. eBay is only really interested in large volume sellers and has setup the system in their favor. So giving a seller anything less than a 5 has real consequences on not just discounts but the ability to sell on eBay. Too bad, the small sellers are how they achieved so much success.

W. Rogers Abbott III
White Dragon Enterprises, Inc.

I hope that the determination of averages is somehow weighted in relation to the number of total transactions. A couple of bad reviews could sink someone who sells infrequently or only in small volume. In my particular case, the seller of my last item was fine on everything except his shipping time. He didn't ship for 20 days. In my mind that's enough to warrant a 3 or 4 on shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When a power seller gets at least 4.8 on all 4 of the subjects on their floating average, they get a 15% rebate on their 'item sold' fees. Double that if they have 'free shipping' (at least until June I think). If they get up to 4.9 they get 20%.

Which is a great incentive, but they really, really suck at helping sellers work on it. I have massive great feedback and numbers across the board, but a single person giving me something as unexciting as a 3 or 4 on one part of one item item ONCE can knock it below 4.9 (which it did last month). And, here's the kicker, I have no way of knowing who it was or what I supposedly did wrong. That's moronic. In fact, for all I know EBay could just be cooking the books and artifically making my number 4.8 to keep that 5%. (No, I don't really think so, but if you're not going to give me any info at all, how am I supposed to know?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Gryfalia wrote:
When a power seller gets at least 4.8 on all 4 of the subjects on their floating average, they get a 15% rebate on their 'item sold' fees. Double that if they have 'free shipping' (at least until June I think). If they get up to 4.9 they get 20%.

Which is a great incentive, but they really, really suck at helping sellers work on it. I have massive great feedback and numbers across the board, but a single person giving me something as unexciting as a 3 or 4 on one part of one item item ONCE can knock it below 4.9 (which it did last month). And, here's the kicker, I have no way of knowing who it was or what I supposedly did wrong. That's moronic. In fact, for all I know EBay could just be cooking the books and artifically making my number 4.8 to keep that 5%. (No, I don't really think so, but if you're not going to give me any info at all, how am I supposed to know?)

Wow - That's harsh. Especially when considering that a variation of 1 point can be attributed to nothing more than the buyer's mood at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfalia wrote:

Yes, I especially love how they have a rating for shipping and handling fees. That makes A LOT of sense. Lets see, you bid on an item, agree to the shipping and handling fees, then you are allowed to rate how reasonable they are after the transaction is finished, and do so annonomously. Then if your numbers fall below 4.1 out of 5 stars on this very subjective score then you are kicked off forever.

Why have a feedback for a fee that is stated in the auction and agreed upon at all? DSR is silly to start with and the feedback system is a joke. What does 100% positive buyer feedback mean? Nothing at all.

Nice site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.