Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third in my series of Bulletpoint reviews. The purpose is to give the players an idea of pros and cons of a game, but without getting much into detail. Rather, after reading the rules or a detailed review this is where you peek to get a summary from yet another source. Enjoy!

+ ZOMBIE FIGURES
I'm a sucker for fun components, and these little plastic zombies take the cake. My favourite bits for a while now, and a lot of them. The only problem is that they sometimes don't keep straight. They tend to fall over from time to time.

+ THE BOARD
Very thematic and with nice art. It's easy to imagine how a cheerleader cowers in the clothes shop or how people build up temporary barricades
from cans in the supermarket.

+ CARD ART
Very thematic as well, I love the "Hide" and "Sprint" cards.

+ FUN
I've never seen anyone leaving the table with hurt feelings, even if he had the worst backstabbing delivered to him. The satisfaction of throwing your friends' pawns to the zombies is great.

+ MINIMAL RANDOMNESS
You only roll where the Zombies will arrive, which adds very nice tension and is not irritating. The only other randomness is in the cards - which also isn't a very big deal.

+/- THE PAWNS
Big, wooden chits with stickers on. Functional, but not very shiny. Also, a bigger number of designs would be nice - an FBI agent with a baseball bat doesn't look very real.

+/- THE VOTING MECHANISM
Great idea and implemented nicely with the voting wheel. The trouble is, I found that it works only with some people. If the players are not a very competitive bunch, someone can get chosen just like that to be the Security Chief. Also, a second vote is sometimes done only for the sake of voting, as the result can be easily predicted. Not much things you can "trade" to ensure loyalty other than promises, but that doesn't bug me much.

+/- DIFFERENT NUMBER OF PLAYERS
This game is rather mediocre with 3 or 4 players. 5 or 6 is the right number, when you use all the locations and there are enough different people for the votes to make any sense. It rocks with 6.

- RULEBOOK
Very badly written, with a lot of inconsistencies, vagueness and even bad English (spelling mistakes etc.). Also the arrangment of the rules seems off. Download a Rules Summary right away, it will come in helpful.

MY RATING: 7.5
I really like playing this game, and the only reason I won't award it with an 8 (or even 8.5!) is the number of players required to really have fun with the game (6 is a big bunch) and the voting mechanism. I do understand it's not the games fault, but rather the players' mentality, but still, it sometimes doesn't work as well as it should. If you're a zombie fan and haven't bought this yet, go ahead, especially if you have some zombie-fan friends to play with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice & concise review, one of my favourite games.zombie
It's not like any old zombie-shoot-em-up.

Just to add a comment under you "Fun" heading, whilst it is great fun to throw your buddies to the zombs- sometimes you need a thick skin, as the voting can get nasty- but hey that's part of the game

cheers
Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.