Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game, Randy was playing some invading Germans and I was playing the plucky Greek defenders. Both sides were rather nicely fitted out with some major ordnance, and I also had a bunker complex to deploy. My initial set-up can be seen here (Allies to the bottom of the picture, Germans to the top).

This game was going to be decided by how much I could delay Randy's Germans. Randy made the decision early on to avoid my big gun and the major objective #5 to the right-side of the picture, and instead swarm down to the buildings on the road where I'd placed a couple of units and a leader + HMG overlooking the road. Mines and Wire made Randy's movements somewhat harder - especially when I played Hidden Mines to make his task just that little bit more difficult.

Randy's turns generally went like this: Move, have some units broken by Greek gunfire, play a Recover card, fire with rear-echelon units. I was breaking his units fairly regularly by virtue of Crossfire cards, but I wasn't eliminating them due to his recovery cards. Urgh.

One distinguishing feature about the game was how often Randy got a Sapper event to remove Mines or Wire (about three or four times in all), and how often Randy's Hero was drawn (three times drawn, twice placed!) It really was quite odd. Randy was using Smoke Grenades to cover his advance - seeing a 10 smoke go down was quite depressing - but frequent Time triggers (mostly from Randy's deck) were really increasing the pressure on the Germans, as well as nicely dispersing the smoke.

My reinforcements arrived. I now had a radio! (Hooray!) and Randy approached my HMG post whilst my artillery began pounding his troops...

At this point, Randy finally got his Flamethrower into range and used Assault Fire to take out the bunker. Urgh - that Flamethrower was nasty! He then used the trenches I'd lain there to take cover in as he overlooked his objectives. My reinforcements moved up under cover of the trees, and we stared at each other.

I gained an additional reinforcement - a lone squad behind Randy's forces - and Randy spent a number of actions getting rid of it, thus denying me some easy Exit VPs. I didn't mind this at all, for they were crucial actions that Randy couldn't spend attacking his victory objectives.

Several Time triggers came into play and, with the Time marker on 8, Randy surrendered the initiative to redraw a Sudden Death roll. It was not in my favour, so I surrendered the initiative back. The roll "failed", and Randy had another turn to take me out.

He wasn't quite able to do it - no fire actions. And then, with his flamethrower turned to "full throttle" and blazing away at my troops, another Time trigger came up from his deck. He surrendered the initiative to me to redraw... and drew another Time! trigger!

What are the odds? There are only two "Time!" cards in the entire 72 deck! Randy couldn't believe it. We shuffled the deck, cut it... and the game ended with his Germans not quite able to take the objectives.

Final score was 17 in favour of the Greeks. I was very happy with how the game had gone: yes, I'd been on the verge of defeat, but my defensive positions had slowed Randy down appreciably and allowed Time to eventually come to my rescue. I don't think Randy could have advanced on my other bunker easily.

All in all, a most entertaining game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!

I'm curious... how did you find the Greek hand management to be on defense? I've only played defense with a Minor Allied power once so far and it was an utter disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Thanks for the report!

I'm curious... how did you find the Greek hand management to be on defense? I've only played defense with a Minor Allied power once so far and it was an utter disaster.

My opinion is it is quite strong in this scenario. The Greeks have:
4 actions per turn
Radio (@ time 3) to use up Artillery Requests.
Move actions often have crossfire

The only real issue is Art. Denied and Command Confusion, a number of which can be used as "Scenario Defender Only" actions.

So, I don't think it was much of an issue. Merric "Emptied his hand" numerous times in the scenario, which means he had no dead cards.

I think they would end up with a hand of chaff on the offense without a radio though...

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Thanks for the report!

Yes, as Randy said, it actually worked quite well. There were a couple of times I was stuck with a couple of "Rout" cards in hand, but it was very rare that I could do nothing. I think I took the discard action three times in all during the game.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time I'm in Australia, I'm definitely coming for a visit so we can play a few rounds of Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

I've won this twice as the Greeks, so I've found the 1-card discard defender's hand quite alright really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
My one time playing defense with the 1-card discard limit, I ran into a streak of Rally, Rout, Command Confusion and Artillery Request cards that ran for 15 cards or so. One Move card in that mix. It would have been rough even with a decent discard limit. At one card / turn, well, I pretty much wasn't even playing. I made virtually no plays for nearly half the game (and you can't dump things on Actions if you don't play Orders). I tried to rout my own guys a lot laugh

Of course, it's extremely rare to go that many cards without Fire / Move / Advance cards, so not exactly an experience I can draw any conclusions from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Of course, it's extremely rare to go that many cards without Fire / Move / Advance cards, so not exactly an experience I can draw any conclusions from!

It's not really that rare, with the French. Not much you can do about it. It's much worse on the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.