Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Second Act Ends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The sixth Mythos card ended the First Act. There were already five doom tokens on Yig's track, so I let it end.

The seventh Mythos card ended the Second Act. There had not yet been any seals, so no Elder Sign tokens were present.

Using the credo that one should always make it harder on the investigators, I ended the Second Act, as well.

Is this scenario just plain good luck for them, or since there are no tokens to remove the only option is to end the Second Act, much the same as automatically failing a skill check because of slider settings?

Having written it out, I feel I made the right decision, but would still like to hear others' opinions.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not sure what is going on here. There is no "ending" of the acts.

If you draw a Mythos card that begins the next Act, you flip over the next Act card. If you want to put that Act card back on the pile, then you follow its instructions. Otherwise you have one less Act to play with and the game is that much sooner to being over.

So in your example, I think I understand it to mean that the 6th Mythos was a "Next Act Begins card." You flipped over the Act I card. You choose not to add Doom tokens because you already had some in play and would have been too close to waking up Yig.

Then the 7th card was another Next Act card. You had no Elder Signs to remove. So this should also come off the pile.

All that is right. But you should not say this was "plain good luck" Because the next "Next Act" card that comes up and the game is over - you lose.

The point of trying to prolong the Acts by paying the penalty is so that you keep putting the same card back on top of the deck. That way each "next act" is really just flipping over the Act 1 or Act 2 card and then paying to put it back on top so you never get to Act 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian

I just stated the card in a backwards fashion; i.e., if the Third Act Begins, then the Second Act Ends.

The gist of my question was if you don't have the Elder Sign tokens to discard, is that just plain good luck, in that you refuse to allow the Third Act to Begin, without paying the penalty.

As I wrote it out and looked it over, I could see that was patently wrong, but wanted others' opinions. I played it right, but at the moment, the thought did cross my mind.

Thanks for the reply.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Brian

I just stated the card in a backwards fashion; i.e., if the Third Act Begins, then the Second Act Ends.

The gist of my question was if you don't have the Elder Sign tokens to discard, is that just plain good luck, in that you refuse to allow the Third Act to Begin, without paying the penalty.

Yeah, that was what threw me and the bit about "good luck." The point is, anytime you get an "Next Act Begins" card and you can't do anything about stopping the Act to comne into play, that is bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.