Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a viable strategy for a character to rush into a room to open a chest without defeating the monsters? What is the monsters stand a good chance of killing him? Is getting the upgraded treasures worth the loss in conquest tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
Is it a viable strategy for a character to rush into a room to open a chest without defeating the monsters? What is the monsters stand a good chance of killing him? Is getting the upgraded treasures worth the loss in conquest tokens?

It's not only a viable strategy, it's almost an essential strategy, provided you do it intelligently:

Let's say you're playing with 3 heroes. If your first two heroes have already had their turn, it probably doesn't make much sense to have your last hero open a door and run wildly into a room to get a treasure. Yes, you will have nice new items, but you've just revealed a new room without killing ANY monsters and these fresh monsters now get to take ALL their attacks, possibly killing 1 or 2 heroes.

It's far better to send your hero on a mad dash if he's the first hero to go so that the other two heroes can use there newly acquired items to kill the new monsters in the room much more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryann: Thanks! Very helpful. By essential, do you mean that it is hard to succeed without using that strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
Bryann: Thanks! Very helpful. By essential, do you mean that it is hard to succeed without using that strategy?

He means that the whole point of the base game Quest 2 is to figure out how "chest rush" works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
LoneCleric wrote:
scottandkimr wrote:

He means that the whole point of the base game Quest 2 is to figure out how "chest rush" works.

Yes, I have taught Bryann well in the arts of chest rush... MWAHAHAHAH!!!

Seriously, chest rush is an ABSOLUTE MUST to be able to succeed in this game. A party that has a character with Acrobat will be better than the same party without that skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find the heroes have the best shot at winning if they rush constantly....grab chests, get to the next door, slam it shut behind you. Regular monsters can't open doors, so who cares if they are left alive in the last room. Equip your treasures and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Regular monsters can't open doors

I thought they could, just not runelocked ones (named mobs only) or ones going into unrevealed areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
Quote:
Regular monsters can't open doors

I thought they could, just not runelocked ones (named mobs only) or ones going into unrevealed areas.

You are right. Regular monsters can open doors that have already been opened for the normal movement cost. They cannot open doors to areas that have not been revealed yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
I find the heroes have the best shot at winning if they rush constantly....grab chests, get to the next door, slam it shut behind you. Regular monsters can't open doors, so who cares if they are left alive in the last room. Equip your treasures and move on.

this is only a viable strategy if the next door is a runelocked door, which indeed cannot be opened by regular monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to succeed no matter what strategy you adopt! That's the fun in Descent, it's hard all game long. There are times when one side or the other builds up a lot of power and is hard to defeat, but by and large the game plays competitively to the very end.

I would say that successful heroes are the ones that have the ability to grab a treasure, kill a slew of monsters, and position themselves well to block spawning and/or prevent the weak character from getting picked off easily. If you can accomplish each of these things during the Heroes Turn, then you will be very successful against the Overlord. Now, obviously the Overlord is going to do his best to prevent these things from happening with traps and clever monster movement, but that's what makes it tense and exciting.

And yes, Beau has slain my heroes time and time again... but his day of reckoning is coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.