Subject: Feedback on my cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Working on a card game with five suits and just wanted feedback on the overall layout of the cards, such as the numbers and the symmetrical look. The pip placement is very similar to a normal deck of cards.

EDIT:

Yet another edit:

I really don't know about this one..

UPDATE BASED ON SUGGESTIONS:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
They don't look too bad, but have you considered using a slightly thinner font for the index numbers? Thinner in both line width and aspect ratio would make the cards look more like traditional playing cards, and would also let you have a smaller suit marker in the corners, which would make it easier to tell them apart from the symbols that are part of the main body of the card.

Is there any reason why you went for a 4 corner design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:
They don't look too bad, but have you considered using a slightly thinner font for the index numbers? Thinner in both line width and aspect ratio would make the cards look more like traditional playing cards, and would also let you have a smaller suit marker in the corners, which would make it easier to tell them apart from the symbols that are part of the main body of the card.

Is there any reason why you went for a 4 corner design?

I know it sounds absolutely strange, but when I was play testing, I had a left handed player who played with symmetrical playing cards fro Piantik (sp?) since he couldn't normally play with traditional Bicycle cards.

As for the numbers, what font would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
I know it sounds absolutely strange, but when I was play testing, I had a left handed player who played with symmetrical playing cards fro Piantik (sp?) since he couldn't normally play with traditional Bicycle cards.

Woooo!
Someone catering to us lefties!

I like the design... but hope that all that white space isn't lost. Is there a reason, for instance that the 4 "pips" are next to the 4 corners instead of being in the middle of the card? You've already got the suit in the corner with the number...

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

Woooo!
Someone catering to us lefties!

I like the design... but hope that all that white space isn't lost. Is there a reason, for instance that the 4 "pips" are next to the 4 corners instead of being in the middle of the card? You've already got the suit in the corner with the number...

Chevee

As I stated in the first post, the pip placements are based on a regular deck of cards. Blame tradition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:

As I stated in the first post, the pip placements are based on a regular deck of cards. Blame tradition

Okay, I'll play along. What about going with something like "traditional" Jumbo cards where the value and suit are larger than the pips and the pips are more centralized on the card?

I've never been a fan of wasted white space.

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
They look good. The numbers look short in comparison to the suit index, but you could collect a thousand little opinions like this. Nice work.

You're welcome to my traditionally-based design for 0-20x6 if you'd like another point of comparison. Most of the suits, colors, and measurements are based on 4-color decks I own:
http://bgg.cc/filepage/42684

[Edit] For ArtsCow: http://bgg.cc/geeklist/40596/item/943414#item943414
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

Okay, I'll play along. What about going with something like "traditional" Jumbo cards where the value and suit are larger than the pips and the pips are more centralized on the card?

for some reason, my thumbnail isn't representing the image I uploaded. Click to see a proper example.

Chevee

That might work, but I'm not sure if I see a major reason to change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to update on the cards. I added one with my "dots" (vital for my game) on the sides. Is it too big or just fine?

Now that someone mentioned the number and making the suit icon smaller, it would probably affect the dots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Just wanted to update on the cards. I added one with my "dots" (vital for my game) on the sides. Is it too big or just fine?

Now that someone mentioned the number and making the suit icon smaller, it would probably affect the dots.

I'm really liking the number 11 card. and the dot placements look fine. I would have to agree with the others, however, and the white does stand out quite a bit. Maybe putting it closer together, instead of right beside the numbers, or making the symbols larger?

Another idea, and I don't know exactly how the game is set up, but it make look a little different with a different colour background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:

Yeah, I like the 11 as well.
I'm not really a fan of the smaller number and suit on the 3.
Dots look fine. No problems there.

The layout of the pips on the 3 and 11 look great too. Maybe it's just the 2 and 4 that are bothering me since they are so spread out.

Just curious, what are your other suits? Are they traditional as well?

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

Yeah, I like the 11 as well.
I'm not really a fan of the smaller number and suit on the 3.
Dots look fine. No problems there.

The layout of the pips on the 3 and 11 look great too. Maybe it's just the 2 and 4 that are bothering me since they are so spread out.

Just curious, what are your other suits? Are they traditional as well?

Chevee

My suits are crowns, cups, rook, stars, and shamrocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ugh, I'm going nuts.

I do want these to look like decent traditional playing cards, with obvious changes to the suits and the dots.

Sometimes I wish I can just slap a giant ass number in the middle and be done with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hitchcock
Taiwan
Tanzih
Taichung County
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

for some reason, my thumbnail isn't representing the image I uploaded. Click to see a proper example.

Chevee

That might work, but I'm not sure if I see a major reason to change it.

The major reason for changing it is as Chevee said: Too much white space. With everything concentrated on the periphery, the entire middle of the card is just...empty. It definitely needs something in the middle to break up all that white space which I for one find very hard on the eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to leave enough space on the corners that rounding the corners doesn't cut into the numbers or leave them too close to the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you guys are fine with the numbers? I'm just confused on what people want because I'm getting contradicting opinions right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
So you guys are fine with the numbers? I'm just confused on what people want because I'm getting contradicting opinions right now.

I'm not opposed to the large numbers. I don't really like the 3 that you did with traditional number and suit sizes.

I'd say, at this point, just go with whatever YOU like. You can't please everyone!

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

I'm not opposed to the large numbers. I don't really like the 3 that you did with traditional number and suit sizes.

I'd say, at this point, just go with whatever YOU like. You can't please everyone!

Chevee

That I clearly understand but I want something that people would be interested at first glance, not something completely oddball and shun it.

Personally I don't care that much about how the cards look (it is a trick game without much theme), but it does need to be meet certain requirements such as unique suits, colors, and 4-corners to make it accessible for color blind players and left-handed gamers. The colors are mainly for easy distinction between the five suits.

I was thinking of along the lines of something like the "Abridged" card game, but I think that's a lazy way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Personally I don't care that much about how the cards look (it is a trick game without much theme), but it does need to be meet certain requirements such as unique suits, colors, and 4-corners to make it accessible for color blind players and left-handed gamers. The colors are mainly for easy distinction between the five suits.

Well, you've got red and green, which would make it not as accessible for colorblind players....... what are your other colors? Maybe I can get my colorblind friend to chime in on your color choices.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

Well, you've got red and green, which would make it not as accessible for colorblind players....... what are your other colors? Maybe I can get my colorblind friend to chime in on your color choices.

Chevee

Strange because I was at Anime North yesterday and I had a colorblind player. He didn't heave a problem with red or green, but Orange and Red on the other hand.

Mind you, I doubt I can make the colors themselves workable, but the symbols need to be unique enough to tell them apart, which my color blind player didn't a problem with. In fact, he beat me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:

Strange because I was at Anime North yesterday and I had a colorblind player. He didn't heave a problem with red or green, but Orange and Red on the other hand.

Mind you, I doubt I can make the colors themselves workable, but the symbols need to be unique enough to tell them apart, which my color blind player didn't a problem with. In fact, he beat me

Most don't have an issue as long as there are other identifying marks... like the suits.
Red/Green is the most common colorblind issue, though there are others. If your red and green are of a different shade, they are distinguishable to the colorblind player as "dark" and "light." Orange's and browns can be problematic for the red/green as well if the lighting isn't right since both contain a healthy dose of red. You could do:

Red
Blue
Violet
Black
Brown

This would cover most colorblind people, but wouldn't be as pretty. I like the green shamrocks, so just keep use a lighter/darker red/green. It may be fine the way it stands.

So, I'd say go with it!
My only suggestion is still that you pull the pips in on the lower numbered cards. The 11 looks great, because the card is full. The 2 and 4 look weird because all of the info is contained in the top & bottom 25% of the card.... maybe just pull those in a bit? The 3 looks good because there isn't a lot of card left out. I dunno. I'm usually not this picky, but you asked!

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
MarkyX wrote:

Most don't have an issue as long as there are other identifying marks... like the suits.
Red/Green is the most common colorblind issue, though there are others. If your red and green are of a different shade, they are distinguishable to the colorblind player as "dark" and "light." Orange's and browns can be problematic for the red/green as well if the lighting isn't right since both contain a healthy dose of red. You could do:

Red
Blue
Violet
Black
Brown

This would cover most colorblind people, but wouldn't be as pretty. I like the green shamrocks, so just keep use a lighter/darker red/green. It may be fine the way it stands.

So, I'd say go with it!
My only suggestion is still that you pull the pips in on the lower numbered cards. The 11 looks great, because the card is full. The 2 and 4 look weird because all of the info is contained in the top & bottom 25% of the card.... maybe just pull those in a bit? The 3 looks good because there isn't a lot of card left out. I dunno. I'm usually not this picky, but you asked!

Chevee

Good thing you are picky, since I have a feeling my playtesters are being too nice because I'm there. I need some honest feedback concerning the card graphics since I'm very confident about my rules.

Anyways, another update to the main post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:

Good thing you are picky, since I have a feeling my playtesters are being too nice because I'm there. I need some honest feedback concerning the card graphics since I'm very confident about my rules.

Anyways, another update to the main post.

Wooo! I like!
They look a lot cleaner while looking more "full" all at the same time.

Chevee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Decided to change the fonts, but to something between thick and thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
Decided to change the fonts, but to something between thick and thin.

I VERY much like this. Great job!
Now I can't wait to play it!

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.