Popular Tags: FAQ [+] [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, we might as well start his topic and see what we can't get cleared up as they rise from the Deep.

Open Questions
1) Page 6 says that Devil Reef and Y'ha-nthlei can only be reached by aquatic movement. Just above that, it specifically mentions that Y'ha-nthlei cannot be a destination after returning from LiTaS. But no mention of Devil Reef. Can you return to Devil Reef after returning from Lost in Time and Space?

2) Does Minh's "Synergy" and "Team Player" abilities count in the Final Battle? Or does "location" only mean city Locations?

3) When are the Pass/Fail conditions checked for the Personal Stories? If Wendy uses her Elder Sign to place a game's third seal, does she pass or fail her Personal Story?

Investigators
Q: Does Finn Edwards get an extra $10 for the Loan? What happens if he doesn't pay it back?
A: "Finn has already taken out the loan. The extra money is represented in his stats and starting items, etc. He can always choose not to pay it, and he can't lose his items. Because of this, I just gave him a Bank Loan to start the game and went ahead and worked the extra $$ into his starting setup." - KW
Source

Q: Does Patrice Hathaway get 5 Clue tokens each time the 9th Doom Track space is filled (in the event it decreases)?
A: She only gets 5 clue tokens the FIRST time the 9th space on the Doom track is filled.
Source

Q: If Tommy Muldoon is in the streets, can he attract monsters to the street he is in? Or is street not considered a location?
A: Tommy can use his ability in the street, and yes, the sky is adjacent to the street for this purpose. - KW
Source

Ancient Ones
Q: Quachil Uttaus: The rules and Dust cards seem a bit redundant on passing the first player token. Am I missing something?
A: "When Quachil Uttaus is the Ancient One, do not pass the first player marker except when the first player is devoured." - KW
Source

Q: Rhan-Tegoth: Does Michael McGlen just beat Rhan-Tegoth hands down?
A: "Well, sometimes things do slip through, even when they seem obvious afterwards. In this case, I forgot to include the clause that "Stamina loss inflicted by Rhan-Tegoth's attack cannot be prevented or reduced by any means." I will add that to the next version of the FAQ (which is coming up reasonably soon)." - KW
Source

General
Q: When reducing the number of investigators for each expansion board after the first (in otherwords -2 for all 3 big box expansions), does this apply to the Final Battle?
A: No. "Otherwise the final fight would be a lot easier than intended." - KW
Source

Q: When Martial Law goes into effect, does it apply to investigators that have returned to open gates?
A: You do not make Martial Law checks on locations with open gates.
Source

Q: Does Mark's ability and Wendy's ability prevent them from being arrested in Innsmouth?
A: Investigators immune to being arrested are still immune to being arrested in Innsmouth. I had my reasons for ignoring the 'immune to delay' stuff in the jail, but that's different from being arrested in the first place. - KW
Source

Q: Is the check to avoid Martial Law an Evade check or a Sneak check; the rule and the example contradict each other?
A: Avoiding being arrested in Innsmouth is an Evade check. Sorry for the typo there. - KW
Source

Note: the "new FAQ answer" about encountering Monsters when an encounter moves you to a new location and instructs you to have another encounter is incorrect. You only engage Monsters on the board during Phase 2. Therefore you ignore any monster at this 2nd location before having the 2nd encounter.
Source

Q: ?
A:
[url=]Source[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do monster surges (i.e., a gate not opening) add to the Uprising track?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Do monster surges (i.e., a gate not opening) add to the Uprising track?

Kevin's clarified that, no, Monster Surges don't count for purposes of the Deep One Rising track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Well, we might as well start his topic and see what we can't get cleared up as they rise from the Deep.

1) Page 6 says that Devil Reef and Y'ha-nthlei can only be reached by aquatic movement. Just above that, it specifically mentions that Y'ha-nthlei cannot be a destination after returning from LiTaS. But no mention of Devil Reef. Can you return to Devil Reef after returning from Lost in Time and Space?

Considering how dangerous this location is apt to be this begs the question... Do you really want to return Devil's Reef? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the rules don't say you can't return, why would you assume you couldn't? I'm pretty sure if you *want* to return to Devil's Reef, you can...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I haven't come up with any questions. The rulebook is pretty clear this time around, but just wait for the encounters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Juhola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, can Mark Harrigan be arrested in Innsmouth?
There's an ongoing debate on the subject in FFG forums, the point being that you should be arrested first and then be delayed, and since Mark's special ability states you cannot be arrested or delayed, and the Innsmouth rules say that it affects investigators that would normally be immune to being delayed, but no mention about being arrested...
In my opinion, Mark shouldn't be immune, and could be arrested as anyone else.
Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Juhola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Well, I guess you could return to Devil's Reef, since there's no ruling against it. But how do you return to Innsmouth, without your rental boat, if you haven't rented one from Falcon's Point? Also, the logical reason for not being able tor return to Y'ha-nthlei, would be that it is after all, the undersea city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pahapasi wrote:
There's an ongoing debate on the subject in FFG forums, the point being that you should be arrested first and then be delayed, and since Mark's special ability states you cannot be arrested or delayed, and the Innsmouth rules say that it affects investigators that would normally be immune to being delayed, but no mention about being arrested...
Any thoughts?

I am assuming this reference in the rulebook is specifically directed at Harrigan. So he could be arrested in Innsmouth.

Thematically, I always thought of him getting out of being arrested is that he is a veteran and so the police cut him some slack. As stated in IH, the police in Innsmouth are working on the side of the Mythos and wouldn't care about his veteran status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pahapasi wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Well, I guess you could return to Devil's Reef, since there's no ruling against it. But how do you return to Innsmouth, without your rental boat, if you haven't rented one from Falcon's Point? Also, the logical reason for not being able tor return to Y'ha-nthlei, would be that it is after all, the undersea city.

I have not seen the location abilities so I don't know what further restrictions there are.

Based on the unfocused image of the board, It looks like Devil's Reef is connected to Y'ha-nthlei. SO i assume this mechanic is similar to Kingsport Head in that I have to go to Falcon Point, trael to Devil's Reef, and then travel to Y'ha-nthlei (but maybe I am wrong and you can travel directly between the 2 and cut out Devil's Reef).

In that case then, maybe it is possible to return to Devil Reef from LiTaS so that you are that much closer to being able to return to Y'ha-nthlei.

But I don't know as I don't know what the abilities say. So maybe it is all a moot point, but the rules have a "hole" in them and so I felt it best to patch that up before my copy arrives.

Is there someplace that has listed out the abilities of the map? Or an image of this area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Juhola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thought crossed my mind, but it's difficult to say until we get further clafication about location abilities, and how do you return from them in general. But it would make sense, that you have travel first to Devil's Reef and then to Y'ha-nthlei. We'll have to wait and see :)

And for the Harrigan case, I totally agree with you, and it wouldn't be thematically right, if he would be immune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Devil's Reef has something on it that states when an Investigator enters this location they are delayed, then I don't see an issue with going to Devil's Reef through things like the patrol wagon or coming back from LiTaS. But we'll have to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Harrigan, I suspect that the intention of the designers is that he can be arrested in Innsmouth, but I would definitely say that the strictest interpretation of the rules as given says that he can't be. His ability prevents him from being arrested, and the exception given in the Innsmouth rules only overrides being immune to being delayed, and being delayed is a consequence of being arrested.

Personally I'd actually go with the latter interpretation anyway, given that Harrigan's ability isn't very good and it seems a bit harsh to rule that it doesn't even work all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
raivaaja wrote:
How do you RETURN from Devil's Reef or Y'ha-nthlei?surprise

Another investigator must be in Falcon Point, pay 2$ and move your pawn to Falcon point - or enter a gate, and come back through another with the same symbol (You can´t close the devil reef then, of course) - or you are the sailor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
pahapasi wrote:
Any thoughts?

I am assuming this reference in the rulebook is specifically directed at Harrigan. So he could be arrested in Innsmouth.
Kevin has clarified that immunity to being arrested does carry over to Innsmouth: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

"Investigators immune to being arrested are still immune to being arrested in Innsmouth. I had my reasons for ignoring the 'immune to delay' stuff in the jail, but that's different from being arrested in the first place."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Patrice Hathaway update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
raivaaja wrote:

Another investigator must be in Falcon Point, pay 2$ and move your pawn to Falcon point - or enter a gate, and come back through another with the same symbol (You can´t close the devil reef then, of course) - or you are the sailor.

Also, there are encounters at the Devil's Reef that will send you back to Falcon Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSC_gamergeek wrote:
pethulhu wrote:
raivaaja wrote:

Also, there are encounters at the Devil's Reef that will send you back to Falcon Point.

Too bad both Devil's Reef and Y'ha-nthlei have a '-' for their Martial Law check, guess the IH fuzz aren't SEALs .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Q: Rhan-Tegoth: Does Michael McGlen just beat Rhan-Tegoth hands down?
A: "Well, sometimes things do slip through, even when they seem obvious afterwards. In this case, I forgot to include the clause that "Stamina loss inflicted by Rhan-Tegoth's attack cannot be prevented or reduced by any means." I will add that to the next version of the FAQ (which is coming up reasonably soon)." - KW
Source

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Q: If Tommy Muldoon is in the streets, can he attract monsters to the street he is in? Or is street not considered a location?
A: Tommy can use his ability in the street, and yes, the sky is adjacent to the street for this purpose. - KW
Source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you planning on adding the Evade vs Sneak clarification regarding Martial Law checks in Innsmouth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Were you planning on adding the Evade vs Sneak clarification regarding Martial Law checks in Innsmouth?
There's a clarification? The book says Evade right? Is it supposed to just be a Sneak check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
There's a clarification? The book says Evade right? Is it supposed to just be a Sneak check?

Page 6 reads Evade, example on page 7 reads Sneak. KW clarified:

"Avoiding being arrested in Innsmouth is an Evade check. Sorry for the typo there."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian:

1) My answer would be yes, in that Y'ha nthlei is specifically mentioned and Devil Reef is not.

3) Just had a game with Joe Diamond. His Personal story is passed when he discards five toughness of monster trophies and one Unique Item.

His fail condition activates when he discards one Unique Item.

In his case, at least, the tie goes to Joe.

This would indicate that all ties would go to the investigator, for continuities' sake.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasi:

The rules all state that any time the town of Arkham is mentioned that it includes the expansion town. I would say Mark Harrington cannot be arrested in Innsmouth, unless a specific rule acception has been implemented.

Sorry. Ignore this. I didn't read the whole thread before responding.

Edit #2: Had to edit the edit, which was just as wrong as my origianl post.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.