Subject: Rotating Overlords? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT White
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
We have the base game, and have no set Overlord. My sons have been taking turns at it. Will we be able to do this during a Return to Legend game, rotating overlords between sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could do it, but the competitiveness of the game would be completely lost since no player would have a character they could stick with over the whole campaign and really work on long-term.

Descent isn't Dungeons and Dragons....most play groups SHOULD NOT have a set overlord, but should rotate between games. That said, a Road to Legend campaign, while it may take months, is still one game. And it is a competitive game...the overlord is meant to destroy the players, spending all of his effort to do that. Rotating that role constantly would be confusing at best and pointless at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Rotating that role constantly would be confusing at best and pointless at worst.

That's an overstatement. Most people play RtL for the story, and for a bunch of kids, rotating could work. It wouldn't work with every group, but it would with mine, as we are a very co-operative bunch. The big difference is in players having long term plans for advancing their characters or the overlord. One kid might buy an upgrade for the OL, then the next might buy one that didn't mesh with it. One kid sieges a city, the next kid breaks the siege for his own plans. If your kids are smart and cooperative enough to avoid these pitfalls, then yeah, you could do it. There is no hidden information in the game, so just make sure the next guy understands your intentions, Overlord or Hero, before he takes over.

I have asked this question before, so you should check out that thread for more answers.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/308225

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT White
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks! That gives me something to mull over. My kids are bright, but they are not cooperative, and I can clearly foresee potential issues that will need to be addressed if we try something like this. I think we'll be best served by putting RTL off for a while and seeing how things shake out in the other expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see the big problem with this is that, no matter what side wins, both will have ill feelings. If the overlord wins, then who won? The person who ran the final dungeon, or the person who got a lot of CP five dungeons ago, or...? You get the idea. Likewise, if the heroes win, is it because the heroes played well, or was it a bad rotation? Did someone specifically screw the overlord in hopes that it wouldn't be their turn for the final showdown? Did "Your" hero kill your overlord off? It would be far too much like playing solitare... only having an internal bias. If, for sure, you're sure you can all play completely objectively at all times? Then I suppose it could be okay, but, as JB said, it's far from optimal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
I see the big problem with this is that, no matter what side wins, both will have ill feelings. If the overlord wins, then who won? The person who ran the final dungeon, or the person who got a lot of CP five dungeons ago, or...? You get the idea. Likewise, if the heroes win, is it because the heroes played well, or was it a bad rotation? Did someone specifically screw the overlord in hopes that it wouldn't be their turn for the final showdown? Did "Your" hero kill your overlord off? It would be far too much like playing solitare... only having an internal bias. If, for sure, you're sure you can all play completely objectively at all times? Then I suppose it could be okay, but, as JB said, it's far from optimal.

Is agree that this would be a major factor for most groups, but many groups that play Road to Legend do not care who wins. They are playing for the story generated by the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with rotating OLs and it works great. The coolness of RtL is the growth of the characters, both Heroes and OL. And the funess of the OL is *trouncing* Heroes. So when the players have swapped OLs, they've always played, "How can I better pound the crap out of these Heroes?". There's never been a "How do I screw the OL so that when I go back to playing a Hero, it will be easier for me."

So I say go for it, rotate the OL. For such a long game, especially with younger players, you almost need to.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT White
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yesterday we swapped OLs in the middle of a session (the one in the original game in which you have to destroy Soul Drinker). My oldest son was the original OL, but he was a bit despondent after a sudden turn of events near the end of the run pretty much sunk his chance of winning. My youngest son quickly volunteered to switch places with him. A bit after that, I took over as OL - so all three of us had a turn at it in one session. Actually, we collaborated on the last three turns, trying to claim as many conquest tokens as we could before succumbing to the inevitable.

If RTL is played in a similarly open manner, I suspect we'd play it the same way - plotting for both sides and playing out the battles without a particular attachment to either side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knorr
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
In rtl there are two main parts of the gameplay, fighting in dungeons/encounters, and managing the broader strategies on the campaign board. It seems to me that it would be very easy to have players manage their own set characters for the campaign during those weeks of training and deciding which upgrades to buy, but swap positions for individual dungeons if they chose to. This would allow the OL to rotate while retaining the fun of developing your own individual character throughout the journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.