Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aurelio Agustin
Spain
San Diego
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all I'd like to state that as soon as I can get my hands on an original game of hive, I will. I have a lot of respect for the designer of this game.
problem is, in my country (Venezuela) right now is very difficult to buy games (or anything, actually) using foreign currency (like internet shopping), also, we don't have any boardgames shops here (not that I know of) but since I discovered BGG I have this itch I can't scratch to play more and more games. so every time a friend of mine travels to EEUU or Spain I ask them for at least a couple of new games.
when I knew about hive, I became interested in it, is it an abstract? is it not? I played few games in hivemania.com, enough to decide I wanted it! so since I coudn't have it right away, I made my own set.
I'll try to describe how it went.
I found in a crafts shop something I thought was FIMO, I asked to fellow geeks what it was and the answer was "air drying clay"
this is a picture of how it looked like, thanks to Eric N (earache) for it.

it looks and feels like silly putty but when it dries gets hard plastic/rubbery. very nice stuff.
so I decided I would use it to make my own hive set.
first I flattened the product to an almost paper thickness (ok, maybe not so thin) then I used a cutter (or x-acto) to make the bugs, I tried to make them as faithfull as I could to the original design but it was very difficult, I think in the end they looked nice enough.

I painted them accordingly with acrilic paint and now I only had to make a mold to cast the actual tiles.
for this I used some wooden sticks I had around with a thikness of 1.5 centimeters. and assembled them together with glue and a lot of patience in order to make an hexagon.
the rest would be to put some oiled paper in the bottom, then the painted bug, and then pressing some of this silly putty on top of that, scrapping away the excess, and that's it.
the boring part is that you have to wait at least one day to repeat the process, and you have to do this 22 times! I used only one mold because I wanted to be sure that all the pieces had the same size.

oh! I forgot, in order to get the grey tiles I mixed black acrilic paint with the plastic clay, it gets softer (because of the added liquid substance) but it works the same.
and this is it. my homemade hive set.
thank you for reading

ps. I guess I made some spelling mistakes, english is a second language for me, sorry for that, hope you undestand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks excellent! You're a truly dedicated gamer. The insects in particular look fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always impressed by the patience and skill of those who produce their own versions of games. Very well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Que bien le quedo Aurelio! Fantastico!!

Lo mas importante: Como le gusta el juego?

Es un favorito mio. Corto, intrigante, tremendo reto, pero muy satisfactorio.

TRANSLATION:

The set came out great Aurelio. Fantastic!!

The most important thing is: How do you like the game?

It is one of my all-time favorites. Short, deep, challenging, and rewarding!!

PS: Sorry about the missing accents!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love what You've done. I've only played Hive for twice but now I want to make it
I already got my fimo and just as soon as the exam session ends I'm able to spend more time with my games.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurelio Agustin
Spain
San Diego
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you guys, it wasn't easy to make but I'm very happy with the result.
the material is not exactly fimo, it gets hard just letting it in contact with air for a day, you don't have to bake it, it's very interesting.
I guess with fimo should work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's some kind of clay... I've used it also years ago when I made LARP arrows to fix the bottle cap on the shaft...

Congrats on Your new avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurelio Agustin
Spain
San Diego
Castellon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh! for that I have to thank you, it was your recomendation to falloutfan that made possible for me to get an avatar, THANK YOU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. As I said, I like people who don't have their hands grown out of their ass and can therefore do wonderful stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very crafty! I'm an "artsy" gamer myself (one among many), so I really appreciate your work. (For those of you who can buy the game, however, please do. Those designers and publishers need our dollars.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alina K
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I really like the bugs you made on this! I will try the same - since I had planned to make something similar with homemade cold porcelain, but I was planning on just drawing the bugs on the top - but this looks much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkolis
Greece
Piraeus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They look better than the originals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.