Popular Tags: PBF [+] [View All]
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there are plenty of folks that participate in playing Battlestar Galactica on BGG via a combination of email and pictures of the game board. I have been kicking around the idea of doing something similar for this game. These are my very preliminary thoughts:

Ideal candidates would be able to make a commitment to check in on the game on a daily basis. Much of the logistics would be handled much like the Battlestar Galactica players do (check here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/398825 to see how the handle communication, etc.)

Each player would have to own a copy of the game as for I will only publish card titles, AND you will also have to be able to check how far your character can move from location to location with the character's vehicle ruler.

I will handle randomization of shuffles, tracking of player cards and other essential information using Excel, and also handle the graphics of the map.

Instructions on how to play dark cards may be left with me via Geekmail with conditional instructions. I would expect to complete one turn per player on a daily basis. Likewise, instructions on how to move evidence will also be accepted.

Also, I ask that whoever wants to play has a fairly decent handle on how to play. It will be difficult enough moderating the game as is without having to explain how to play! :-)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, interest?

Update:

Geeklist is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42794
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Android - BGG Online Game Session - Any interest?
Catch 22 for me. I cannot get the game on the table which means this would be an ideal means for me to play. But having not played yet, I am not your ideal candidate.

But I own the game and have thoroughly gone through the rules. With a quick refresher, I shouldn't slow you down. I am pretty well-versed with the whole online thing as I particpate in the BSG games.

So if you'll have me, I'd like to join up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's still on I would like to play. Brian can speak about modding a BSG game and perhaps offer some sound advice, but I'm thinking that Android would be a bit more difficult to organise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Steiestol
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definatley be interested in playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent responses; all four of you guys are in. We just need one more.

Sean, I've already done quite a bit of work on this project in both Excel and my graphics programs, so I *think* I have it under control (crossing fingers). It's a bear to organize and this will certainly be a work-in-progress...

I will pick a random murder scenario and also randomly assign detectives. I hope to start this game sometime tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PeterB10128 wrote:
I hope to start this game sometime tomorrow!

Just a quick note on this as we are running itno it with our BSG games. it is a holiday weekend so things may go slowly. I will be out most of the day tomorrow and most of the afternoon on Monday with cook-outs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable. Whatever play we get in this weekend will be considered a bonus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also someone who has the game but hasn't played it yet. I might be able to handle it if you guys are looking for another person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ke7in11
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same boat as Coltsfan: Have the game, have read the manual over and over again, tired to stay away form the cards, as I don't want to ruin any surprises when playing, and can't get it to the table.

This is not a request to play, but rather, a request that the game be made into a thread and followable by us who have not gotten to play? I've a lot of interest in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Baker
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second Ke7in11's request, I've the game and slowly becoming fam with the rules (gestalting them w/ Chris Davis's mod...), I'd love to follow your exploits and experiences. Thank-you

sorted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I'm very interested in such a game, but I am out of town and won't have access to my copy for a while. I will try to get in on round two, maybe?

But this gives me a chance to dust off a game aid that I never finished: a map of all the connecting locations on the board. Give me a few days and I'll upload it as a file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small world. No, not the game, I mean...

Anyway, I too am hosting a BSG game and I too have recently bought Android - I got 2/3 of a 3-player game in and got far enough that we finally got a handle on how the game worked and how to strategize. That said, I'd be interested in playing a little later; at the moment I've got enough on my plate between running a BSG game and playing in another. But I'll totally be watching and love to hop in on game 2 or 3 or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All info is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42794
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PeterB10128 wrote:

Are you running this like BSG where all conversations and decisions are here on this thread and just the recap is on teh Geeklist? Or should we be making our comments on the List?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Floyd is on the case.

But I need my batteries recharged so I will be out all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning. I picked my extra cards so fire away. I will be having a fairly low key weekend due to ill health soblue otherwise looking forward to the game. For the record I've only played once and it was a long game littered with errors! I've read up on the rulebook again to refresh so I think I'm good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
PeterB10128 wrote:

Are you running this like BSG where all conversations and decisions are here on this thread and just the recap is on teh Geeklist?

Yes.

A few more things to note:

Please try to bold actions, and follow whatever else conventions are used ala BSG.

Any card titles with an asterisk indicate that the card matches the current plot. This means you may choose to increase or decrease the twilight cost by one; this applies to when you play light cards and dark cards. Note that one of the special rules of Revenge At The Races is that all players dark shift when the enter a ritzy or seedy location.

Setup: Rachel picked up two extra light cards.

Now we are ready to play!

Louis (Piscatella) it is your turn. You have 6 time to spend.

Caprice (Suzume Kazo) please consider where you want to move leads when Louis picks them up. You may give me instructions now to handle this in a geekmail. Examples: Move testimony leads to any seedy location in the white district, move Mark Henry to Angel Arena, move all leads to anywhere on The Stalk if possible, or to the yellow district, etc.

When appropriate, players should try to do this with Dark Cards as well as for it would take too much time to check with each player every time the active player enters a location. Example: if Louis enters a seedy location, play my Louis dark card X and reduce cost by discarding card Y.

Locations of the puzzle may be referenced by column and row format. A1 is the upper left hand corner, B3 is left of dead center, and E5 is the lower right corner. When pieces are drawn, I will send you the picture of the piece. You may then tell me how to rotate it (degrees) and where to place it. Example: please rotate piece -90, place at C4 means I will attach the piece below the center piece.

Any suggestions as to how to improve on playing this BGG game will always be welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 1 Louis
6. Follow up lead in NAPD, for evidence
Placing the Testimonial Evidence in Eve's sheet
The lead was placed on Challenger Memorial Ferry [G5]

5. Move to Strugatsky Apartments [I2]

4. Follow up lead in Strugatsky Apartments, for evidence
Placing the Physical Evidence in Vinnie's sheet
The lead was placed on Freetown [C7]

3. Move to Heaven & Hell Club [J2]
dark shifting 1.

2 Time remaining

PS. I have an idea. Maybe to make the thread easier to read we could have only one post per turn. That would mean that every action a player makes would be edited in his post and the other players would send via geek mail to that player or the game master their actions (placing leads, playing dark cards etc.) for the player to edit them in his post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Steiestol
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will move the lead to the Challenger Memorial Ferry.

I will move the lead from Strugatsky Apartments to Freetown [C7], maybe Floyd would like to stop by a seedy dive. devil

If any other leads can be moved onto the beanstalk this turn that would be top priority for where to place them.

For future reference would you rather we sent where we want to move leads in geekmails or should we post it to the thread.

I have no dark cards I would like to play at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Piscatella wrote:
PS. I have an idea. Maybe to make the thread easier to read we could have only one post per turn. That would mean that every action a player makes would be edited in his post and the other players would send via geek mail to that player or the game master their actions (placing leads, playing dark cards etc.) for the player to edit them in his post.

I am not sure how this will play out for Android, but based on what we are doing with BSG, I do not receommend editing the posts as the turn progresses.

First of all, it makes it hard to understand what transpired while we weren't here. Second, new updates are easily missed since an Edit doesn't trigger the subscription notification. Third, it introduces potential conflict and accusations of "changing your mind."

Personally, I'd rather have tons of posts that play out and record the details. The GeekList should be what summarize the turn and boils it down to the final actions.

I myself was confused since I had been gone all day. It took me a bit to realize that the two posts had been edited multiple times and were the results of a "discussion" back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Steiestol
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree as well, the editting thing has kind of confused me a bit as well, and I'm sure it's probably even harder to muck through for anyone not involved.

I agree with Brian that it's probably best to have individual posts rather than editted ones. Especially as the geeklist will be available for those looking for a shortened version, and anyone who comes here probably wants to read through everything step by step as it happens complete with in character banter and side commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I defer to you guys on this, but now after thinking some more about it I also agree we should avoid editing posts for the reasons previously stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2.Move to East Skyway Terminal [K2]

Any dark cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No dark card action. Proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.