Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if the game was decent for 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
With four it's a fantastic game but with three the game ends up with sort of a 2 against 1 imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

Not as great as with more, but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the 3-player sessions I've been in have had rapidly shifting alliances as each player was perceived as leading. Thus, we found it quite good as a 3-player. It could very much depend on the people you play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
With four it's a fantastic game but with three the game ends up with sort of a 2 against 1 imbalance.

I agree. If we only have 3 people, this game goes back on the shelf and we find something else. Unfortunately, it's been awhile since it hit the table... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markus_kt wrote:
Most of the 3-player sessions I've been in have had rapidly shifting alliances as each player was perceived as leading. Thus, we found it quite good as a 3-player. It could very much depend on the people you play with.

Agreed. I played with my then-fiancée (now-wife) and her brother, and it worked well. We were all less overt in our backstabbing than the game tends to be with more players, so the dynamic was different, but it was still fun. It really does depend on the vibe you have with whatever particular group of three is playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw in my 2c.

In my opinion Illuminati has a lot of imbalance that comes from the starting group, the play order, and the cards drawn. However, this imbalance is naturally minimized by the fact that whoever is leading tends to get ganged up on. With 3 people, 2 against 1 often isn't enough ganging up to bring the lead player down (since money on the defending group counts double) so often the person who is in the lead can just play "turtle in the shell" and there's not much the other two players can do about it.

I almost never play unless there are 4 or more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I agree with Apollo Andy above. 3-player seems to promote turtling and kingmaking, and I can't say I'm going to play with less than 4 anymore (though I'm keen to play bigger games).

see this thread for similar stories (and other commentary): http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/391803/my-first-and-hopefull...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.