Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuseppe Savaglio
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope this question has not been asked already so please forgive me if i missed it somewhere.

After 1 of my regions has been conquered i take my race tokens back in hand, lets say 2 race tokens. Do i then lose 1 race token and hold on to the other 1?.

Or if, let's say i have 3 regions conquered (with 2 in each region) i then take back 6 race tokens in total and only lose 1 race token?

So is it 1 lost race token per region per conquest or 1 lost race token per conquest over all on a persons turn.

As you can see it does make a difference if you play one way or the other.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each conquered region "kills" (removes from the game) 1 token, and the rest go back to the owner to be re-deployed. Except for those tricksy tricksy elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 lost race token per region per conquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
pino65 wrote:
After 1 of my regions has been conquered i take my race tokens back in hand, lets say 2 race tokens. Do i then lose 1 race token and hold on to the other 1?.

This is correct.
pino65 wrote:
Or if, let's say i have 3 regions conquered (with 2 in each region) i then take back 6 race tokens in total and only lose 1 race token?

Nope, you lose 3 tokens.

As a matter of fact (rules page 4), you wouldn't take 6 tokens and discard 3 after your opponent invaded 3 of your regions. Rather, you would take all (in your example 2) tokens and discard 1 every time one of your (in your example 3) regions is invaded. The rules talk only of one token to discard because they also talk of just one region there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester wrote:
Each conquered region "kills" (removes from the game) 1 token, and the rest go back to the owner to be re-deployed. Except for those tricksy tricksy elves.

When have they be redeployed? After each territory is conquered or after the current player turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flojo wrote:
Jester wrote:

When have they be redeployed?

Uf... I wanted to say: When should they be redeployed? After each territory is conquered or after the current player turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
After the current player's conquests for the round (ie. when the current player is redeploying his own tokens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 4 of the rulebook says (at the top, under the heading "Enemy Losses & Withdrawals":
Quote:
Permanently discard one race token back into the storage tray;
Keep all other Race tokens in hand, and redeploy them in any other Region(s) still occupied by his race (if any) as the final action of the current player's turn.

(These actions apply to each region as it is conquered.) While the Smallworld rulebook can be confusing in its omissions, it is far from worthless. This section seems to answer both of your questions pretty clearly. (Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are confused about?) Are you maybe too "flojo" too read the rules?
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
After the current player's conquests for the round (ie. when the current player is redeploying his own tokens).

This is slightly inaccurate.
Since the rules state that conquered tokens are redeployed by their owners "as the final action of the current player's turn", this implies that the turn-taking player actually redeploys his own tokens prior to the return of the defeated tokens to the board.
Moreover, one could easily argue that the turn-taking player also collects his victory coins before his opponents redeploy their beaten tokens to the board as well (based on the wording of the rules on page 5, under section 3: "Scoring Victory Coins".) Probably it doesn't matter which comes first, the return of the defeated or the scoring of the coins, but turn order is turn order, after all. (And that's what we're about in this thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
That's certainly the most correct interpretation.
I can't think of a situation in which it would matter who put their tokens down first, though, so my group usually reorganises them simultaneously simply to save time.

You're absolutely right in that it's usually better to follow the given turn order as closely as possible to avoid introducing errors in situations where timing does matter, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
I can't think of a situation in which it would matter who put their tokens down first...

Wow.
I can't think of a situation (defensively speaking) in which it would not matter where the attacker was redeploying his tokens...since I (as his neighbor on the board) will be using him as my bulwark against the upcoming player's race/turn.

Also, it's a good bet that he punched a hole in my defensive perimeter, and now any number of my undefended interior regions are exposed to attack from players who take their turns after him but before me. I definitely want to see what he's going to do before I place my limited number of remaining defenses. It just so happens that the prescribed turn order allows me that small compensatory luxury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
That's certainly the most correct interpretation.
I can't think of a situation in which it would matter who put their tokens down first, though, so my group usually reorganises them simultaneously simply to save time.

You're absolutely right in that it's usually better to follow the given turn order as closely as possible to avoid introducing errors in situations where timing does matter, though.

But I think there´s no sense then on redeploy far from the conquered territory.

I thnik you´d redeploy tokens died after each attack of the current player. So your back positions became harder to conquer. It´s like they´re warn of the attack received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flojo wrote:

I thnik you´d redeploy tokens died after each attack of the current player. So your back positions became harder to conquer. It´s like they´re warn of the attack received.

Whether or not it makes sense, it's how the game plays. Your interpretation would change it quite a bit. (However, it is one of my ideas for a special power, Regrouping.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flojo wrote:

Yes, what you are proposing here is definitely a misunderstanding of the rules of redeployment (at worst) or a variant (at best). It would indeed change how the game is played...I'm betting it would greatly reduce scoring, all around, for starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.