Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I am not computer savy enough to post a picture but I have made a home made Travel edition and thought I would post this "How To" for those who would like to try and maybe post a picture of their own.

I got the idea from the new battle maps. I love the fact that I don't have to dig through a ton of tiles flipping them upside down to find the right one and all of my units are printed on the map for set up so there is no constant refering to the map in a book.

Wouldn't it be great if they were all like that? Well, now they can be. It doesn't look as cool but it's fully functional and here's how to do it.

I went to my local dollar store and found bags of multi colored square wooden beads, the kind you make necklaces out of. They have holes drilled through them for string but they are also big enough for toothpicks. I had to buy 4 bags to have enough of one color, I chose red for the Germans as the blue/grey was to dark.

I used a fine point sharpie to draw on all four sides of 52 cubes little infantry men. It sounds like a pain but I don't think it would take any longer to do than putting the stickers on the Command and Color cubes. It's a real simple and easy process and you don't have to be an artist to make it look half way decent. I just put a little circle for a head, a straight line under that for a gun and two straight lines for legs. It's a stick figure but it actually looks sort of like the sillouette on the map.

Next draw tanks on 24 cubes. Again it's not that difficult. Just draw an oblong circle on the bottom of the cube for tracks, a little square box on the top toward the back of the treads and then a straight line for the barrel pointing up at an angle. Wallah! It's a tank

Then the easy part, take 13 cubes and draw a little circle for a wheel and a straight line pointing up at an angle for the artillary.

Do the same thing with the green cubes It'll take about 2 and a half to 3 hours more or less depending on how picky an artist you are.

Next take 34 toothpicks { I used the square kind but round would work just as well. Cut off the bottoms so they are flat on one end and super glue 13 infantry cubes onto 13 toothpicks. One cube per toothpick. When they are dry you can slide the other three infantry cubes onto their proper unit. When your done you should have a stack of 13 units with 4 infantry apiece stacked vertically.

Do the same with 8 tanks and 13 artillary and of course do the same for the other color.

You'll also need magnet tape which you can find at the hardware store or probably your local craft store. Cut them into little squares and attach them to the bottom of your bottom cube in your stack.

Finally I also purchased a magnetic message board from my local dollar store and ripped it apart for the paper thin piece of tin inside it. I used tin snips to cut it but it was so thin I bet a good pair of sissors would cut it. Cut it to the size of the printed maps in your booklets. Slip it under the scenario you want to play.

Most of the booklets lay pretty flat except for the campaign book and the scenarios toward the end of the air pack but with a little finangling these will work too. So, open a book put your paper thin tin under the scenario you want to play and stick your units on and your ready to play without hardly any set up time.

Also the other colors work well as badges, my toothpicks are long enough that I can also put a different color cube on for badges. This also works well for scenarios with sandbags. Just put a different color cube {say yellow} on top of the unit with a sandbag and remove it when the unit moves or is eliminated.

By the way, the cubes are perfect in size so that you can still see enough of the hex to know what your on, forest, hill, whatever.

Like I said, it doesn't look as pretty as the full blown game but it's fully transportable with just the rulebooks the cards and some dice. You don't even need the official dice, any six sider will do.
Take a page from Gamesworkshop. 1 is always a miss {Star} 2 & 3's are infantry, 4 is a tank, 5 is a flag and 6 is always a hit { a grenade}

Well let me know what you think and if you do make a set post some pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Willems
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's any way you can upload a picture of your own set I'd love to see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, me too! Get a teenager to help you out! (S'what *I* would do!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane Marolf
United States
watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the travel set. It was nicely done. Joe you should get some pics on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see some pictures, also. I wonder with the tin under the map if a guy could use rare earth magnets with the cubes effectively? I have always found the main ingredient of a good travel edition is the ability of the individual pieces to stay put during bits of non-horizontal game boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Moreau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
What an awesome idea! I am going to design one as well and see what I can come up with. Thank you for giving me cool inspiration! Yes, post pic if you can

Jed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.