Subject: I don't understand the built/buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Camprubi
France
Amanvillers
Moselle
flag msg tools
Mage Knight est excellentissime !! > Mage Knight is a blast !!
badge
Mon rêve ?...Pouvoir enfin jouer à WotR > My dream?... for heaven's sake, play WotR
mbmbmbmbmb
I've carefully red this forum before asking but wasn't able to understand the interest or relevance of buying vs building.

When you build, you take the building and receive the fees when an other player goes on your building. You don't pay the fees on the buildings you have built, then you will get the valor points of the building at the end of the game right ?
But isn't it exactly the same when you BUY this building ?
If yes, I can't see the relevance of buying as it costs a big amount of money compared to the poor price when using only resources...

Did I miss something ? Maybe that I have to pay the fees on my own buildings unless I have bought it?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you build or buy a building in the Proposal stack(s) - or buy a Special Building from the Town - you do not have to pay the fees in the top right corner as you now officially own this building. Any other players using your building(s) have to pay you any fees for using your building.

It is generally better to build than buy, you're right about that. But two special cases where buying is better:-

1 - you can only ever build one or two buildings at a time, but you can also buy extra buildings provided you have the money for them as well.

2 - you may not have the required resources to build a certain buildings & would like to get it before someone else who may already have the resources/money for it. So buying it instead makes a good strategy.

Cheers,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can also make sense to buy an already-built town building if someone else is occupying the building and you really want to use it; buying a building vacates any player in the building at the time.

Buying, remember, can be done before or after your actual move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You currently have the raw materials and the desire to build a building that is currently covered by another building in the proposal stack. So you buy the covering building (top card in one of the three stacks) and then build the next building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Building is an action. Buying is not. Therefore you can buy something and immediately use it. You cannot build something and immediately use it. In fact, in some cases you can count on building something and then waiting for quite a while for other players to get off of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more thing that I don't see mentioned yet.
Some buildings (including the building firms?) have symbols on them (green hammer and blue ???) that allow more production at other buildings. If you go first and buy the cheap building firm you will then have a benefit everytime you go into certain buildings.
There is also an end-game building (20+ for the number in the top right of the card) that provides extra points for certain types of buildings. If you have that end-game building you will effectively gain 4? points for buying certain other buildings.
(If I'd played more, or had a copy of my own, I might be able to supply more specific details.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And while all the other answers are correct, they've missed one VERY important point: When you're BUILDING, you're converting resources into Victory Points. When you're BUYING, you're converting Victory Points into ,er, Victory Points... Which is to say, that you usually gain VPs when BUILDING, but not when BUYING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Liken
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed.
But on saying that, if you are low on resources but (somehow) high on francs at a given time compared to an opponent it may be to your advantage to buy a proposed building outright rather than to let your opponent build it for a net gain on victory points over you.
In other words ... don't just sit there and let your opponent play some high scoring construction firm combo ... turn his pretty little pile of bricks (or whatever) into a slightly less usable commodity by buying out his buildable options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.