Popular Tags: [View All]
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have $60 to spend. Which one do I get? I can't believe they want $50 for the Growing Hunger but I love LNOE so I'll definatly pay that much for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to find GH for less than that... Yup, just look in the Marketplace section. There are several new copies available for under $30. With shipping, it'll probably be $35-40, but still a lot less than $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've personally decided against Arkham Horror simply because of all the bits. I don't like a game where I have to sort everything out every time I play (either setting up or, worse - because it's at the end of the day - packing away). AH just looks like it's got way too much stuff for me. Even my wargames don't have that many different bits to keep track of. LNoE is much easier & quicker, and the Growing Hunger bits, although they don't radically change the game, are good additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony bristow
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I say GH as well but then I paid $45 for my copy.I don't know anything about the other one???
I would go GH for $30 in the marketplace and then hit the flying frogs website for either additional zombies or an add on(stock up or the other one) for $10.
But then I really love my LNOE games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a fan of total randomness and no influence on the game, the answer is Arkham Horror hands down.

If you are a fan of an excellently balanced expansion I would go GH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
SovTech wrote:
If you are a fan of total randomness and no influence on the game, the answer is Arkham Horror hands down.

I think this is a rather silly comment which is untrue.

Well said.

I have both LNOE: Growing Hunger & Arkham Horror. Personally, if I could only buy one I would pick up AH largely because it's a brand new gaming experience as opposed to an expansion. Also, in AH it's the players versus the game, which provides another nice contrast. This also makes for a quality game to play solo. The possible downside to AH is that it has lots of bits, and it takes up significant table space.

The good thing about your choice is that both games are excellent and there is no wrong choice here! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterB10128 wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
SovTech wrote:

Well said.

I have both LNOE: Growing Hunger & Arkham Horror. Personally, if I could only buy one I would pick up AH largely because it's a brand new gaming experience as opposed to an expansion. Also, in AH it's the players versus the game, which provides another nice contrast. This also makes for a quality game to play solo. The possible downside to AH is that it has lots of bits, and it takes up significant table space.

The good thing about your choice is that both games are excellent and there is no wrong choice here! :D

I agree with this. I have both and tho I like the Growing Hunger expansion, LNOE is a fun game on its own and Arkham Horror would give you a different, fun experience. All that being said, if you can bump that $60 to $70, you can probably get both via that big auction site. Takes some diligent hunting tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys....It's tuff get'n games any cheaper here in Canada when ordering from US sites. You Americans are lucky. The shipping costs kill us when ordering from the States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trippercook wrote:
I have $60 to spend. Which one do I get? I can't believe they want $50 for the Growing Hunger but I love LNOE so I'll definatly pay that much for it.

I have both Growing Hunger and Arkham Horror (plus Dunwich Horror expansion). Arkham Horror is nice if you don't get too many expansions for it, otherwise, it will become too bloated.

The Growing Hunger is a nice little expansion that adds quite a bit to the game. It nicely up the difficulty for the heroes and also the zombie master/s.

I do find myself playing LNOE more than AH nowadays. Maybe its because it's shorter in length (2 hours for LNOE + expansion compare to 3 and a half hours for AH + DH). And maybe because LNOE has modular boards and lots of scenarios while AH has only one big static board and a smaller one (found in Dunwich).

If you can get only one game, I suggest that you ask yourself whether if you mind investing in at least an expansion for Arkham Horror as the base game is too easy. If not, Growing Hunger is the way to go.

Cheers mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks guys....It's tuff get'n games any cheaper here in Canada when ordering from US sites. You Americans are lucky. The shipping costs kill us when ordering from the States.

A couple of good places to get games cheap in Canada:

http://meeplemart.com/

http://www.germangames.com/index.asp

Both of these companies have flat rate shipping, very competitive prices and good customer service.

As for which game to buy, I've never played AH mostly because I found it too complicated and I've read a lot of reviews that claim that the game has few meaningful decisions and takes a LONG time to play (3+ hours). That being said, I would probably recommend AH over GH, just because it is a whole new game unlike any other out there. If you really love LNOE, GH is a great expansion, but it's far from essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is something to work up to. I have both and am getting myself ready to invest time in AH as its not a simply pick-up and play (although the player's aids do help). Growing Hunger is a great expansion and one that does add to the experience. AH takes 3 hours to play GH doesn't add to the plaing time just to the experience. Comes down to what you're looking for: A new game which does take time to get to grips with bt is a nice advancement in terms of rules and experience or more content for a game you love that will keep the experience going and give new life to the game with new characters, scenarios and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I've personally decided against Arkham Horror simply because of all the bits. I don't like a game where I have to sort everything out every time I play

I'm using the 13 compartment box from the Container Store (link) to hold my Arkham Horror bits.

Additionally, these card-holders from Staples (link) work great for the cards when we're playing.

Finish the game, you stack the cards back into their holders in the game box, put the sanity / stamina / gate / etc. pieces back into the CS box and you're good and done.

We played a couple times using plastic baggies and yes, it's a pain to tidy up. This setup takes up less space when playing and makes cleanup a snap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
SovTech wrote:

By all means put forward your recommendation for Growing Hunger, but you really do the person asking for advice a disservice when you resort to dishonest hyperbole to influence their decision.

Ah! It was a mere attempt of play on words from the above post, and I am sorry if it offended anyone. I do play a lot of Arkham Horror, and it certainly has its merits in sheer size, complex rules (which I believe to be a good thing) and the mythology it builds on. However it is not untrue that it is a complete random game, and please do not call me dishonest when I come forward with my opinions.

There is an unbalanced randomness to AH, and all though you can try to calculate your odds towards a certain encounter and act accordingly, it will be totally random if you actually succeed or get the encounter you were hoping for. Furthermore the overall game is randomly determined by the draw of mythos cards which can radically change anything in midgame, or even just before the endgame rendering the heroes strategies useless.

However there is of course the sure-win strategy of just stocking up on weapons, which can be used to win all the games (except the one with the thingie that just destroys earth when he arrives), so I think that I must admit that it is not totally random.

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys....I went with Growing Hunger. I found it for $33.99 Canadian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
Quote:

A couple of good places to get games cheap in Canada:

http://www.germangames.com/index.asp

Both of these companies have flat rate shipping, very competitive prices and good customer service.

The German Games Company had the best price, with shipping, for Planet Steam when compared to any US online retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Unless you are opposed to additional complexity, then the answer is Arkham horror hands down.

Wow! That was a pretty damn tame response from you, Mr.Skeletor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I am sorry anout my two posts above. It was unfair wording and based on a limited experience of AH. The second post was also written in anger, which was unwise. I am sorry for that. I was convinced in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/410310

that I was wrong to make these allegations.

I enjoy Arkham Horror, and I believe that I will enjoy it even more after I was convinced that it isnt a random game.

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.