flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveJ 23, Dale 22, Rodney 21, ScottT 17

Moving onto the next new Christmas game, four people who don’t push paper around for a living (two actually are stay-at-home dads!) played a game about pushing paper around. As such, no one was turned off by the game. After repeated rules explanations – hard to get the concept of turn order and the LIFO (last in first out) principle of the mailboxes – slowed down the rules. But once we got started, confusion reigned. We had to continually go over the order of files to the mail cart and then to the cabinets or inboxes. Scott was frustrated by the apparent complexity of the scoring system giving different points to different files depending on where they were filed. I hated the fact that all of my cards were getting scratched to hell from all the paper clips.
After about two rounds, we all got the hang of the document moving order. DaveJ at the blue desk had a huge backlog of files on his desk – but after two draughts and a bunch of dextrose drops, most of his inbox was in his outbox. Both Dale and Dave got a file into the cabinet for 6 points early on, though due to our confusion with the movement system, its unclear if either of us knew what we were doing when we did it. As the game progressed, everyone except for Scott seemed to get the general feel for which documents would get into the file cabinet at what point in time. Scott, still confused overall about the scoring chart, seemed to decide to give up entirely on trying to figure out when documents would get in, and concentrate instead on just getting his files done and into the cabinet. As the scoring finished, we each had two files outstanding, so we each lost two points. The game was close among those able to manipulate the files with only two points separating first from third.
Not a bad game, and another little gem from a small publishing company. My biggest problem with the game are the paper clips as they do definitely leave impressions on the cards when you use them. Other than that, I think you just have to give the game a few rounds so you can get a first-hand look at how the documents move around the office. There is really no good way, I think, to describe it – it just has to be seen to be understood. Definitely one I’d like to try again a few more times (Assuming my cards survive that long).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Meyer
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
yudp (#5125),

Hi,
just wanted to let you know that in case your Ad Acta cards will be totally scratched by the paper clips at a certain time, I had some more card decks printed. I sell them for EUR 4,- plus package and postage.

Some people also use Magic "covers" to protect the the cards.

I like the idea of the paper clips so much that I decided to rather offer extra card decks than replace the clips in the game.

So, if you need new decks some time, perhaps it makes sense to order some more (to reduce package and postage per item).

Greetings,
Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.