F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't reccomend enough that you try Valor & Victory. It's free and top quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Try one of these: Jena 20 Waterloo 20

Not for sale in Europe, so you have to order them at http://victorypointgames.com/ but their games arrive here very fast. Just a couple of days to Belgium, in my case.

Low amount of counters (just 20 in total, hence the name). Great set of rules. Not too simple, not too complicated. I used these to lure innocent eurogamers into wargaming. And it worked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, these are out of print, but anything from the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War would be great. I've played Stonewall Jackson's Way, the rules aren't too bad and there are scenarios with a low counter density to get you started.

A new volume in the series Battle Above the Clouds is on pre-order right now from MMP.

These play solo well because units move using an impulse system with a die roll determining which side will receive the next impulse. So when you are moving the units under Stonewall Jackson for example, you don't know who will get to move next. This captures well the difficulty of coordinating large numbers of troops during the era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the vote for the VPG Napoleonic 20 games. You'll play in an hour.

Also, check out the old "SPI Quads". Decision has reprinted many of them. My personal favorite is Thirty Years War Quad (second edition). This one also has the distinction of being the only one that Decision has actually made improvements in over the original. Also very good is Battle for Germany and Blue & Gray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
I can't reccomend enough that you try Valor & Victory. It's free and top quality!
Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Try one of these: Jena 20 Waterloo 20

Not for sale in Europe, so you have to order them at http://victorypointgames.com/ but their games arrive here very fast. Just a couple of days to Belgium, in my case.

Low amount of counters (just 20 in total, hence the name). Great set of rules. Not too simple, not too complicated. I used these to lure innocent eurogamers into wargaming. And it worked!
Also seconded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
anything by WORTHINGTON GAMES might be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikko_r wrote:
I'm looking for a two player hex and counter wargame that is:

- Not too complex

- Playable in weeknight
Five hours tops, after both players are somewhat familiar with the game.

- From gunpowder era, but pre WWII
Napoleonic, American Civil War and Thirty Years' War for example, just because I have no interest in WWII or modern warfare.

- Excellent for solo playing
This one is a must feature.

Do you guys have any take whether the games in American Revolution series would suit me and what other games I should look into?

One game series you might look into is the "Eagles of the Empire" (e.g., Eagles of the Empire: Spanish Eagles and Austerlitz 1805: Partie Sud) and "War of the States" (e.g., War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863) games. Each counter represents a division, so in a given battle there aren't a lot of counters. There are several counters per division which represent step losses, but only one is on the board at any one time. The game is also good for solo play because you have to roll to activate divisions, which provides some tension in solo play because you don't know if your "opponent" can react. The rules aren't online, but there is a "how to play in 5 minutes" summary at Avalanche Press's site.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/line_GrandBattles.php

Another game that I'd recommend is Yankees & Rebels which is produced by Gio Games in Italy. (They have a Napoleonic game as well which is out of print. Perhaps you can find a copy in Europe.) Again, units are divisions with varying strength points. The rules are only two pages long. Rules are online at: http://giogames.it/Y&Renglish.html so check them out. The game plays well solo: each turn, a Corps chit is pulled from a bag (which may active either side), then dice are rolled to see what actions units of that Corps can perform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nhojput wrote:
anything by WORTHINGTON GAMES might be considered.

Good point. Hold the Line is a very quick playing game of the American Revolution, which is somewhat based on the Commands and Colors system. Unlike the C&C system, activation is done by die roll rather than playing cards. In my view, this makes it easy to play solo because you don't have to manage two hands of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:

Thirded! Although of course it does cost money to print out etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONFLICT OF HEROES

Although it is a WWII I think you should check this game out.

1. Easy to learn
2. Excellent quality components
3. Fast and fun
4. tactical level
5. Many counters and maps
6. Many scenarios (fireflights)
7. You are buying a system not just a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
mikko_r wrote:
- Not from GMT
Not because I have anyhting againt GMT, on the contrary. GMT is just the only publisher I knew to look into, and I am thinking the games in American Revolution series are looking the most promising.

When assessing these features please keep in mind that I'm not a wargamer, but I'm ready to put some effort into it.

Do you guys have any take whether the games in American Revolution series would suit me and what other games I should look into?

GMT's American Revolution games might be to your liking. If you want to give one a try I would recommend "Saratoga" as the first one to get. You can finish a game in a few hours, the counter density is relatively low, and the rules aren't too complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mikko_r wrote:
I'm also thinking about the VPG offerings, but the customs and VAT may hold me back as long as they are not available in Europe.

For the record: the VPG games are "paperware" (or whatever you call that in English). No customs involved, so don't let that keep you. As it's "homemade", you just get a ziplock bag with the printed map and (mounted) counters. Not a box with wooden pieces and stuff.

I know, this may sound a bit disappointing but their games make up for the lack of chrome. And it's not that it looks uggly. Check out the pictures for prove of that. (I've seen a lot worse games in more expensive packaging).

Anyway: If you're ever interested do also check out Caesar XL. That's another great "small" game which seems to slip under the radar here.

Yes, I'm a fan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Valor & Victory.
A full, easy wargaming system with all options (Infantry, Tanks...) and it's free.
It's also very printer friendly (1 map fits on 1 sheet e.g.).

You could also try ATS. See this thread for more information http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/398969 (look for the ATS basic course).

Ogre is also an option. Look for "kwanchais" redesign.

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
konsum24 wrote:
A full, easy wargaming system with all options (Infantry, Tanks...) and it's free.

You could also try ATS. See this thread for more information http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/398969 (look for the ATS basic course).

-Chris

He specifically said NOT WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Napoleon A House Divided don't have the hexes but are fine ones. GMT puts out some very fine games. I would second the American Revolution series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
konsum24 wrote:

-Chris

He specifically said NOT WWII.

Right!

The ATS system is not only about WW2. There are other games that are based on this system (ATS Gettysburg e.g.). But the mentioned ATS basic course is a very good option to get into the the ATS system.
Edit: +Playable in weeknight
+/- basic course WW2 (other themes: American Civil War e.g.)
+Good
+Available in Europe (basic course and rules are free)
+Good for solo playing
+Not from GMT

The mentioned Ogre redesign is not WW2 it's more weird WW2 (the original Ogre is sci-fi indeed) and absolutely recommended to get into the hex and counter genre: easy rules and very fun.
+/- WW2 (not really, more weird WW2)
+Good
+Available in Europe (free and easy to assemble)
+Excellent for solo playing
+Not from GMT

Others have also mentioned V&V and I support this. Even if you are not interested in WW2 it's a great game and absolutely recommended.
- WW2 theme
+Good
+Available in Europe (free and easy to assemble)
+Good for solo playing
+Not from GMT

-Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the suggestions above aren't enough, you might want to explore this Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Napoleon's Last Battles. Recently re-issued by Decision Games. Under $50. Simple rules. Low stacking. Good command rules. Good for solitare play. And can be played by three players if you can get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.