David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you may have figured out from my postings on the site, I'm somewhat of an amateur writer (or fancy myself one). I've had a few things published, but they were nonfiction and related to my Iraq experiences, which I have no further desire to write about at this current juncture.

Anyway, I've been writing some fiction again after reading Joseph Campbell's excellent _Hero With A Thousand Faces_, his discussion of the common threads of myth. It's fascinating from that perspective, but it's even more interesting from a writer's perspective--it's as if someone wrote a book entitled "how to appeal to people at such a level that they can't resist it." (George Lucas made Star Wars of Campbell's blueprint, for instance, which explains its cross-cultural appeal).

I have two projects grown out of my recent writing endeavors. One is complete, and I think worth attempting to publish in the young adult market, but all those I've had read it have thus far been friends and family, and thus not at all the right people to give me an honest assessment of my work. The other is the first several chapters but is still a work ongoing.

Therefore, I'm committing one of the cardinal tacky offenses of all history--asking, unsolicited, for people to read something I've written and tell me what they think.

First off, I acknowledge that there is nothing tackier than to ask someone to read something you've written and tell you "if it's any good," as it's often put.

However, this is the internet, the home of all things tacky, yes? Not only that, but I know that if there's any place to have one's work critiqued as harshly as possible, the internet is the place to do it... plus, there's a lot of well read folks on this site so the advice ought to be worth something.

If you're still reading at this point, I suppose this is a good sign. Read the work descriptions below and Geekmail me if you're interested and I'll email them to you. Then, you just read, critique me brutally, and send me your comments.

The Tales of Filleen (Not final title)
Description: The young adult work is three seperate stories detailing the exploits of a young girl, Filleen, in what we'll call a fairy tale atmosphere (think more CS Lewis and less JRR Tolkien).
Influcences: My inspiration was my wife's challenge to write something happy, my own criticism of my previous writing that I can't write women, and my knowledge of Greek myth.

Untitled Work
Description: In a 1950s America, where the use of Allied Magic helped win WWII, an OSS cum Magical PI investigates the death of his former mentor and partner by ex-Nazi Soviet magicians. The National Magical Agency, though, has our hero fingered for the crime.
Influences: Classic hard-boiled detective fiction by Raymond Chandler and Dashiel Hammet, and the serious, real-world treatment given magic in wartime by Susanna Clarke in her excellent _Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel_.

As I said, shoot me a Geekmail with which one you're interested in or questions and your email address and I'll get them to you.

Thanks to anyone interested in advance,
Diis.

[Edit because I'm a poor editor. See below.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long are these pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revengeisnotjustice wrote:
How long are these pieces?

Ah. Yes, I suppose that would be helpful.

The first three stories, put together, are about 100,000 words (and obviously I'm not expecting anyone to keep reading unless the really like it... a market test).

The second work, at present is 26,000 words.

Diis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:

As I said, shoot me a Geekmail with which one you're interested in or questions and your email address and I'll get them to me.

Sounds like a fairly inefficient distribution mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Diis wrote:

As I said, shoot me a Geekmail with which one you're interested in or questions and your email address and I'll get them to me.

Sounds like a fairly inefficient distribution mechanism.

Har. Har. You are correct, sir, that is a horribly inefficient distro plan.

Fixed.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question for the folks who responded and I sent stuff to:

Has anyone read it yet? Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Diis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through (my crack at) editing the first third of your "Tales". Which is not to say that I haven't finished reading this section, it's that I made the mistake of switching gears, midstream, and got bogged down. Also, it was a hectic week.

I quite liked what I've read so far. For the most part, the things I'm suggesting are more polish than substance, although there are a few plot points in the first section that could use some fleshing-out/reworking/explanation.

Moreso, my suggestions are to do with writing style, word usage, and etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.