Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Christensen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey all,

I have a question about the interaction of two cards. I'm playing with the Tomb of Ice expansion and it has a Feat card that reads "Play after a monster has made a successful melee or ranged attack against you ( a melee attack that doesn't miss). You must roll a power die. If the result is a surge, there is no effect. If the result is a surge, that monster's attack against you becomes a miss."

Ok, one player attempted to play this card after the overlord used dark charm to force another player to hit him. The overlord (ok, it's me) contends that the card doesn't apply because the attacker is a hero and not a monster. The players disagree (obviously). Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you need to choose which side you consider the charmed hero to be on, and stick with it. There are numerous events related to this issue such as sweep, command, etc.

Personally I consider the hero still a hero and not 'on the other side'. Although there was an official ruling that you could play Aim on the charmed hero, so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I agree with MrSkeletor about going with the spirit of the rules, in this case I think it's fairly clear. The card states "when a monster makes a successful attack..." not "when hit by an attack" or some other generic wording. So I would say you could not play the card.

Note that Dark Charm is not the only time a hero may be hit by another hero's attack. A hero using a blast weapon may catch another hero in the blast radius. So I would say that this card could not be used in that situation either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
As much as I agree with MrSkeletor about going with the spirit of the rules, in this case I think it's fairly clear.

Yeah, I'm always half-amused, half-irritated when I see the "spirit of the rules" argument show up. Of course we all think we follow the spirit of rules! It's just that, apparently, we haven't all been going to the same channeling school.

edroz wrote:
Note that Dark Charm is not the only time a hero may be hit by another hero's attack. A hero using a blast weapon may catch another hero in the blast radius. So I would say that this card could not be used in that situation either.

There are plenty of other cases. Heroes can attack one another to "wake themselves up", for instance.

Anyway, I don't really want to get involved in this debate, but if I had to suggest a house rule, it'd be to treat the charmed hero as a monster for the duration of the attack. So modify DC instead of modifying everything else. Anywayz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
But that was the point of my post - each group has their own way to play and that is their spirit.

Ah, but this wasn't really about you, my bony friend.

The rant was triggered because of the "I do agree with Skeletor about the Spirit of the Rule... but not with his conclusion", which just reminded me of all these arguments (typically against "those pesky rules lawyers") and where the ranter clings to the "well, WE'RE following the spirit of the rule" angle.

It's like saying something is "for the good of the country". Of course! Who doesn't want that? Yet it doesn't tell you anything about the actual opinions of the person saying that... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.